Sprint Online Rebate - WATCH OUT

Last response: in Network Providers
June 23, 2004 9:29:20 PM

When you sign up online, it seems clearly apparent that the phone will cost
you $200-150 rebate = $50. When you receive the phone you will not get
a mail in rebate form with it. You will however get the full $200+tax
charged to your first bill. The first bill is sent immediately after you
sign up and is due before the 30 days trial period is over.

If you call to find out what is going on during the 30 day initial period
the Sprint customer service staff will lie to you. They will tell you
the money has been credited to your account. They will tell you not
to worry, for %100 sure you will receive the rebate and you will see the
money on your second bill. If you demand a rebate tracking number, they
will not give you one. You don't need one they will tell you. They will
tell you that they are looking at the computer screen and your account has
already been credited.

After the second bill comes you realize they lied to you all along. The
30 day trial period is over. Then when you call customer service
the conditions of the rebate are explained to you. You have to sign up
for PCS Vision for 2 months. Only then will you be able to get a rebate.
BUT, you cannot have a tracking number or any paper trail until the 2 months
is up. Again you are asked to trust the same people who lied to you
and told you that your account has been credited and that they are looking
at their computer screen and see the money in your account.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 9:07:14 AM

In article <51865b53.0406231629.6587b524@posting.google.com>,
carqs123@hotmail.com says...

> When you sign up online, it seems clearly apparent that the phone will cost
> you $200-150 rebate = $50.

Wow, nice and specific there. No phone model provided, no specifics
about the calls you made, in other words, nothing, really, to discuss
at all.

--
RØß
O/Siris

O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message news:<949d588958cb5733fa47ecedfd54476a@news.teranews.com>...
> Wow, nice and specific there. No phone model provided, no specifics
> about the calls you made, in other words, nothing, really, to discuss
> at all.

http://activate.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories...

The lesson learned is if you're going to buy cell phone service online,
make sure you spend the hour or two that it takes to visit each and
every link on the page. Do not trust summary statements like "instant
savings" even if they seem apparent.

The way these guys make money is to hide the details in the fine print
then tantalize you with financial penalties if you are too lazy to
do the work to figure out and analyze each and every detail of contracts
just as if you were a lawyer.
June 25, 2004 3:38:29 PM

carqs123@hotmail.com (Jack SaturnOwner) wrote in message news:<51865b53.0406231629.6587b524@posting.google.com>...
> When you sign up online, it seems clearly apparent that the phone will cost
> you $200-150 rebate = $50. When you receive the phone you will not get
> a mail in rebate form with it.

Matches my own experience with Sprint PCS
<http://www.loganet.net/~doumakes/sprint.html&gt;. They didn't supply
the rebate form, didn't mention the fact that I had to submit a rebate
form. When I finally got in touch with someone who would admit all
that, they wanted me to find the original receipt and fax it in---even
though their own records already proved I had purchased the phone.
After submitting the proper proof, I still had to wait 14 weeks for a
check.

Obviously, the rebate scheme is designed to work this way. Promise a
big rebate to everybody, deny it to everybody, pay only the most
determined complainers.

Don Doumakes
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 5:51:40 PM

Jack SaturnOwner <carqs123@hotmail.com> wrote:
> O/Siris <0siris@spr?ntpcs.com> wrote in message news:<949d588958cb5733fa47ecedfd54476a@news.teranews.com>...
>> Wow, nice and specific there. No phone model provided, no specifics
>> about the calls you made, in other words, nothing, really, to discuss
>> at all.
>
> http://activate.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories...
>
> The lesson learned is if you're going to buy cell phone service online,
> make sure you spend the hour or two that it takes to visit each and
> every link on the page. Do not trust summary statements like "instant
> savings" even if they seem apparent.

Although Rob could have made the point better, I think it was along the
lines of "I'd be more likely to provide help or at least insight into the
issue if you gave some details." Which phone was it?

> The way these guys make money is to hide the details in the fine print
> then tantalize you with financial penalties if you are too lazy to
> do the work to figure out and analyze each and every detail of contracts
> just as if you were a lawyer.

Since a Sprint employee appears to be trying to help you, why don't you
offer him the information he asked for instead of continuing to rant?

June 25, 2004 5:52:46 PM

Don Doumakes <doumakes@loganet.net> wrote:
> carqs123@hotmail.com (Jack SaturnOwner) wrote in message news:<51865b53.0406231629.6587b524@posting.google.com>...
>> When you sign up online, it seems clearly apparent that the phone will cost
>> you $200-150 rebate = $50. When you receive the phone you will not get
>> a mail in rebate form with it.
>
> Matches my own experience with Sprint PCS
> <http://www.loganet.net/~doumakes/sprint.html&gt;. They didn't supply
> the rebate form, didn't mention the fact that I had to submit a rebate
> form.

That's why I made sure that the PCS phone I want has an *instant* rebate.
It's $49.99 plus tax to walk out of the store with it. Amazon has the same
phone for free after a mail-in rebate, but I don't think I'd want to count
on the mail-in rebate coming through.

June 26, 2004 5:42:45 PM

Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:<IaqdnVEEzpSh6UHdRVn-jg@lmi.net>...
> Since a Sprint employee appears to be trying to help you, why don't you
> offer him the information he asked for instead of continuing to rant?

Uh, how about because the Sprint employees I spoke with a week or two
ago told me that I don't need to do anything. The rebate is a done
deal. Your account has been credited. What exactly do you suggest
I do if they tell you not to do anything because the check is in the mail?

The last Sprint employee I spoke with told me the previous Sprint
employees should not have said what they did. It appears to them that
I am not eligible for the rebate that was valid when I was signing up.
What exactly do you suggest I do if they tell you you snooze you lose?

The rebate fine print said to be eligible for the rebate I needed to
sign up to the Vision plan for $15/month. Which I didn't do because
there was no indication that was clearly apparent that I needed to do
that. The fine print was visible only if I followed the link off to
the side, that I needed to do that. Besides, I need Vision for $15/month
like I need a hole in my shoe.

Even now you can clearly see how Sprint offers "INSTANT REBATES". Then
when you read the fine print on a link off to the side you realize it's
not so instant after all.

It's not false advertising because the information is available somewhere.
It's deceptive advertising because what is clearly apparent is not the
case and what is the case is not clearly apparent.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 5:51:59 PM

doumakes@loganet.net (Don Doumakes) wrote in message news:<39c68e0a.0406251038.17c12b0a@posting.google.com>...

> pay only the most determined complainers.

What's the going rate for customer service in Bangalore nowadays?
For my $150 rebate they can hire a whole village of extremely nice
and courteous people in India to jerk you around ad infinitum.

Hey, but say what you will, Sprint is an order of magnitude better
than AT+T. Sprint custormer service, when they don't know
the answer, places you on hold then disconnects, or transfers you
to someone who for sure will help you, NOT. AT+T transfers you
to their rebate center and somebody, supposedly in Arizona, picks
up the phone, burps, then hangs up:)

I don't know who you all have to thank for this but we in California
can thank Gov. S. who somehow confuses this kind of mendacity and deceit
free enterprise.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 10:48:57 PM

Jack SaturnOwner <carqs123@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know who you all have to thank for this but we in California
> can thank Gov. S. who somehow confuses this kind of mendacity and deceit
> free enterprise.

How the hell does a guy who just got into office a few months ago have
anything to do with this? Dude, you need to chill out - you're going way
off on a completely irrelevant tangent. I'm not passing judgment either
way on Ahhhnold, but the concept that he somehow caused cellular companies
to behave the way they do is laughable. Cellular companies were behaving that
way long before anyone here started pushing to boot our last governor out of
office.

Besides, I'm originally from Ohio and where local politics are concerned I
have a *lot* more to complain about than you do. ;)

June 26, 2004 11:18:34 PM

In article <51865b53.0406250958.316283be@posting.google.com>,
carqs123@hotmail.com says...
> O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message news:<949d588958cb5733fa47ecedfd54476a@news.teranews.com>...
> > Wow, nice and specific there. No phone model provided, no specifics
> > about the calls you made, in other words, nothing, really, to discuss
> > at all.
>
> http://activate.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories...
>
> The lesson learned is if you're going to buy cell phone service online,
> make sure you spend the hour or two that it takes to visit each and
> every link on the page. Do not trust summary statements like "instant
> savings" even if they seem apparent.
>
> The way these guys make money is to hide the details in the fine print
> then tantalize you with financial penalties if you are too lazy to
> do the work to figure out and analyze each and every detail of contracts
> just as if you were a lawyer.

The fine print? "Instant Savings" is a link to a very clear
explanation of how it works:

---------------
Save up to $150 on select Sprint PCS® Phones

This Sprint PCS® Phone is eligible for up to $150 instant savings. Up
to $150 instant savings available to customers adding a new line of
service on a Sprint PCS Service Plan with a two-year Sprint PCS®
Advantage Agreement. Customers adding a new line of service on a
Sprint PCS Service Plan with a one-year Sprint PCS® Advantage
Agreement will receive $100 instant savings. Customers purchasing a
phone without activation will receive a mail-in rebate. Not available
in all markets; call for pricing and availability. This special offer
ends July 3, 2004. See details below.

Already a Sprint Customer?
You may be eligible to receive a great discount on the latest Sprint
PCS Phones through the Sprint PCS New for YouSM Upgrade Program.
Check out your eligibility at www.sprintrebates.com.

Instant Savings: Purchase and activation must be made in-store or
online by 7/3/04. Offer may not exceed total purchase price of
phones. Mail-in Rebate: Customers qualify for rebate if account is
kept active for 30 consecutive days. In certain markets, Sprint PCS
Clear PaySM customers qualify for a mail-in rebate if the account is
kept active for 60 days after the first invoice date and does not
have any unpaid past-due amounts at the end of this period. Requires
purchase of eligible Sprint PCS Phone by 7/3/04 with activation no
later than 7/19/04 on any Sprint PCS Service Plan. Rebate may not
exceed total purchase price of phone. Service Plan: Subject to
credit. A $150 Early Termination fee and a non-refundable $36 phone
activation fee apply. A deposit may be required. Restrictions apply.
See Sprint PCS Service Plans Guide for full details.

Offer subject to change without notice. May not be combinable with
other offers. Restrictions apply. ©2004 Sprint. All rights reserved.
Sprint, Sprint PCS Clear Pay, Sprint PCS Vision and the diamond logo
are trademarks of Sprint Communications Company L.P.

Was there something about those conditions you didn't understand?

--
RØß
O/Siris

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:18:34 GMT, O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com>
wrote:

>> The way these guys make money is to hide the details in the fine print
>> then tantalize you with financial penalties if you are too lazy to
>> do the work to figure out and analyze each and every detail of contracts
>> just as if you were a lawyer.
>>

>The fine print? "Instant Savings" is a link to a very clear
>explanation of how it works:

Uhh, the info posted below does not say anything about the
requirements Jack stated he was told about over the phone......

I had a problem with my original rebates with Sprint when I first
joined. Bought two phones, activated both, after being told that both
were eligible for the rebate.....Sprint then denied the rebate on the
second phone, since it was activated as a "second line" on the main
account. However, NOTHING was said, or written, about any such
restriction.

Probably the first sour taste I got from them.

>---------------
>Save up to $150 on select Sprint PCS® Phones
>
>This Sprint PCS® Phone is eligible for up to $150 instant savings. Up
>to $150 instant savings available to customers adding a new line of
>service on a Sprint PCS Service Plan with a two-year Sprint PCS®
>Advantage Agreement. Customers adding a new line of service on a
>Sprint PCS Service Plan with a one-year Sprint PCS® Advantage
>Agreement will receive $100 instant savings. Customers purchasing a
>phone without activation will receive a mail-in rebate. Not available
>in all markets; call for pricing and availability. This special offer
>ends July 3, 2004. See details below.
>
>Already a Sprint Customer?
>You may be eligible to receive a great discount on the latest Sprint
>PCS Phones through the Sprint PCS New for YouSM Upgrade Program.
>Check out your eligibility at www.sprintrebates.com.

>Instant Savings: Purchase and activation must be made in-store or
>online by 7/3/04. Offer may not exceed total purchase price of
>phones. Mail-in Rebate: Customers qualify for rebate if account is
>kept active for 30 consecutive days. In certain markets, Sprint PCS
>Clear PaySM customers qualify for a mail-in rebate if the account is
>kept active for 60 days after the first invoice date and does not
>have any unpaid past-due amounts at the end of this period. Requires
>purchase of eligible Sprint PCS Phone by 7/3/04 with activation no
>later than 7/19/04 on any Sprint PCS Service Plan. Rebate may not
>exceed total purchase price of phone. Service Plan: Subject to
>credit. A $150 Early Termination fee and a non-refundable $36 phone
>activation fee apply. A deposit may be required. Restrictions apply.
>See Sprint PCS Service Plans Guide for full details.
>
>Offer subject to change without notice. May not be combinable with
>other offers. Restrictions apply. ©2004 Sprint. All rights reserved.
>Sprint, Sprint PCS Clear Pay, Sprint PCS Vision and the diamond logo
>are trademarks of Sprint Communications Company L.P.

>Was there something about those conditions you didn't understand?

Deb
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 8:00:41 AM

In article <2grtd0td46dmgd714phv56jkocjvefo9l4@4ax.com>,
deb.milner@att.net says...
> I had a problem with my original rebates with Sprint when I first
> joined. Bought two phones, activated both, after being told that both
> were eligible for the rebate.....Sprint then denied the rebate on the
> second phone, since it was activated as a "second line" on the main
> account. However, NOTHING was said, or written, about any such
> restriction.

There is no such restriction. Mind you, I'm not denying you went
through that. The rebate system *has been* broken. It got a lot
better a month or two ago. But it still doesn't catch everything.

--
RØß
O/Siris

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 04:00:41 GMT, O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com>
wrote:

>In article <2grtd0td46dmgd714phv56jkocjvefo9l4@4ax.com>,
>deb.milner@att.net says...
>> I had a problem with my original rebates with Sprint when I first
>> joined. Bought two phones, activated both, after being told that both
>> were eligible for the rebate.....Sprint then denied the rebate on the
>> second phone, since it was activated as a "second line" on the main
>> account. However, NOTHING was said, or written, about any such
>> restriction.
>>

>There is no such restriction. Mind you, I'm not denying you went
>through that. The rebate system *has been* broken. It got a lot
>better a month or two ago. But it still doesn't catch everything.

When I applied for my rebate I triple-checked this (and
everything I could think of). Triple-checking has become my default
action whenever doing anything involving changes to my SPCS service.
Once everything's settled it tends to remain static. As I've no issues
with the signal service, I apply this method to any and all
transactions with the company, which I limit to the extent possible.
It's what's kept me a customer.

DGI

PS: I frequently catch errors or discrepancies on that third check.
When I recently took a new contract I found, upon a third check, that
I was being charged for something the initial order and the latter two
checks didn't reveal. Remedied it.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 2:49:56 PM

Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:<ctWdnXZog-rFl0PdRVn_iw@lmi.net>...

> Incidentally, Vision is free for the first two months and as I understand it,
> you can accept it on a trial basis and cancel two days later (for example)
> and still be fine.

That's not what the customer service people told me. They say I can't even
cancel 1 week ahead of time. I will be out of the country on vacation
for three weeks in August. The only thing they can do is prorate 2 weeks
when I get back.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 10:04:19 PM

"Jack SaturnOwner" <carqs123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>
> > Incidentally, Vision is free for the first two months and as I
understand it,
> > you can accept it on a trial basis and cancel two days later (for
example)
> > and still be fine.
>
> That's not what the customer service people told me. They say I can't
even
> cancel 1 week ahead of time. I will be out of the country on vacation
> for three weeks in August. The only thing they can do is prorate 2 weeks
> when I get back.

You can try doing a request by email, with a specific date listed to cancel
the Vision option. Get into your SPCS account, click on Contact Us, then
email, then select the "Product & Services" option and type in your message.

Don't know whether it will work, but you can certainly try it and see what
happens.

If you do it, let us know what results you receive.

Bob
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 3:20:52 AM

wrote:

>> second phone, since it was activated as a "second line" on the main
>> account. However, NOTHING was said, or written, about any such
>> restriction.
>>

>There is no such restriction. Mind you, I'm not denying you went
>through that. The rebate system *has been* broken. It got a lot
>better a month or two ago. But it still doesn't catch everything.

yes, it has been broken.

Any comment on:

>> The way these guys make money is to hide the details in the fine print
>> then tantalize you with financial penalties if you are too lazy to
>> do the work to figure out and analyze each and every detail of contracts
>> just as if you were a lawyer.
>>

>The fine print? "Instant Savings" is a link to a very clear
>explanation of how it works:

Uhh, the info posted below does not say anything about the
requirements Jack stated he was told about over the phone......
Deb
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 7:47:35 PM

In article <3vn1e0pgmoei0ngioijnfqlafve2labdfh@4ax.com>,
deb.milner@att.net says...
> Uhh, the info posted below does not say anything about the
> requirements Jack stated he was told about over the phone......
> Deb

I thought I already addressed that. The web site is very clear, I
think, about the requirements. He should point out the information
there.

--
RØß
O/Siris

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message
news:D 93f3188192c6996e012abac1a669102@news.teranews.com...
In article <3vn1e0pgmoei0ngioijnfqlafve2labdfh@4ax.com>,
deb.milner@att.net says...
> I thought I already addressed that. The web site is very clear, I
> think, about the requirements. He should point out the information
> there.

Incredibly, your own citation of the requirements does *not* mention two
additional requirements: a monthly recurring charge of at least $35, and
signing up for Vision (if one purchased a Vision phone) at $15/mo. The
latter is precisely the hidden gotcha that burned the original poster.

Of course, the original poster's primary complaint was that a Sprint rep
reportedly said that "they are looking at the computer screen and your
account has already been credited." Only recently, I got a similar
baldfaced lie from a Discover Card rep, who promised that a chargeback had
been definitively resolved in my favor and that my next bill would show a
credit. At that point my chargeback had already been definitively denied.
Luckily, my escalation of this complaint about Discover's own duplicity
eventually resulted in the proper credit to my account.

The point is, that baldfaced lying to a customer should result in
*immediate* dismissal of the employee.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 5:43:10 PM

In article <2IvGc.594$W51.202@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
"Lawrence G. Mayka" <lgmayka000@ameritech.net> wrote:

> The point is, that baldfaced lying to a customer should result in
> *immediate* dismissal of the employee.

Lying is the norm for SprintPCS CSRs. They have handle time restraints,
and Upsell requirements. Thats is how they are judged. Doing good by the
caller is never considered. I even caught Executive Services lying
recently, likely that will cause me to leave SprintPCS. How can one do
business with liars.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 5:57:56 PM

"R?bert M." <rmarkoff@faq.city> wrote:

> Lying is the norm for SprintPCS CSRs. They have handle time restraints,
> and Upsell requirements. Thats is how they are judged. Doing good by the
> caller is never considered. I even caught Executive Services lying
> recently, likely that will cause me to leave SprintPCS. How can one do
> business with liars.

Yeah, right, like you would leave sprint pcs. I am quite sure you are
under contract after your stint with AT&T WS. They won't let you come
back without a new contract. You stated yourself that you purchased the
Sanyo Ready-Link phone recently.

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse
July 6, 2004 5:57:57 PM

Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yeah, right, like you would leave sprint pcs. I am quite sure you are
> under contract after your stint with AT&T WS. They won't let you come
> back without a new contract. You stated yourself that you purchased the
> Sanyo Ready-Link phone recently.

Except now, here and in alt.cellular, he's crowing about his Motorola V400,
which as we all know is not sold by Sprint. He seems to have trouble getting
his lies straight.

July 6, 2004 6:20:18 PM

"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
> In article <2IvGc.594$W51.202@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Lawrence G. Mayka" <lgmayka000@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
> > The point is, that baldfaced lying to a customer should result in
> > *immediate* dismissal of the employee.
>
> Lying is the norm for SprintPCS CSRs. They have handle time restraints,
> and Upsell requirements. Thats is how they are judged. Doing good by the
> caller is never considered. I even caught Executive Services lying
> recently, likely that will cause me to leave SprintPCS. How can one do
> business with liars.

If there was anyone qualified to be called a liar, it's you Phillipe ... But
that's just one of the high points in your posting resume. Maybe it's time
to recap your history in this newsgroup.

1) Your preference for lying.
2) Your misquoting of other posters' messages.
3) Your attempt to impersonate other posters here.
4) Your unmunging of email addresses so spambots can harvest them.
5) Your attempt to answer prior posts made in one ID with different IDs
6) Your attempt to moderate this group on what can or can't be said.
7) Your failure to answer simple questions asked to clarify your position
here, when the truth comes out.
8) Your manufacturing of false facts.
9) Last, but certainly not least, using AT LEAST 102 different IDs here to
avoid kill filters of others.

#9 is a bit outdated though, as you are up to at least 113 different IDs now

And you expect to believe anything you say here?

So, when are you porting your service Phillipe ...?

Bob
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 8:25:53 PM

In article <2IvGc.594$W51.202@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>, lgmayka000
@ameritech.net says...
> Incredibly, your own citation of the requirements does *not* mention two
> additional requirements: a monthly recurring charge of at least $35, and
> signing up for Vision (if one purchased a Vision phone) at $15/mo. The
> latter is precisely the hidden gotcha that burned the original poster.

I wasn't asked for a comprehensive listing of the requirements. I
was speaking only of how to get them confirmed. And, as you point
out, the Vision requirement is listed. I don't see how that
qualifies as hidden.

Which is *not* to excuse what the rep did.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-4B74E6.08431006072004
@news03.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@faq.cIty says...
> Lying is the norm for SprintPCS CSRs. They have handle time restraints,
> and Upsell requirements. Thats is how they are judged. Doing good by the
> caller is never considered.

The $350 I earn every month for both Customer Satisfaction and One
Call Resolution scores would disagree with you.

Both of which are based on what the customer reports.

It is *not* the norm.

--
RØß
O/Siris

O/Siris <0siris@spr?ntpcs.com> wrote:

> The $350 I earn every month for both Customer Satisfaction and One
> Call Resolution scores would disagree with you.

<sarcasm>
Yeah, whatever, everyone knows you're a lying, cheating SOB. I bet you
kick your dog when you get out of bed every morning, too. Stupid evil SPCS
employees.
</sarcasm>

July 6, 2004 9:15:25 PM

"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
> In article <2IvGc.594$W51.202@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>,
> "Lawrence G. Mayka" <lgmayka000@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
> > The point is, that baldfaced lying to a customer should result in
> > *immediate* dismissal of the employee.
>
> Lying is the norm for SprintPCS CSRs. They have handle time restraints,

Proof, please (and that means something other than a Usenet posting).

> and Upsell requirements.

Proof, please (and that means something other than a Usenet posting).

>Thats is how they are judged. Doing good by the
> caller is never considered. I even caught Executive Services lying
> recently, likely that will cause me to leave SprintPCS.

Yeah- we've heard that song before. The next thing will be the mention of a
Non-Disclosure Agreement.

> How can one do
> business with liars.

Probably the same way one would do business with people who make up things
to support their wild accusations.
!