Your question

Where to put the new drive?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 5, 2003 6:06:15 PM

OK I have a RAID Array 0 with two disks running on a Rocket Raid 133 Card. I am installing another drive for backup. My question is can I add another single drive to one of the channels on the RAID card and have the drive funtion as one with the RAID. Or would it be better to utilize one of the IDE channels on the motherboard. Right now I have A DVD Rom drive on Channel one as Master and a CD-RW drive on Channel two as Master. The new drive is going to be a backup drive of data as well as hold an image of my operating system so it will not be accessed very often.

Thanks for the input!

More about : put drive

March 6, 2003 12:53:51 AM

If your RAID card supports RAID0+1, then I suggest you connect the new HD to it. Otherwise, any other IDE channels will be fine for connecting the HD.
March 6, 2003 10:48:32 AM

You should put your new drive as slave on the IDE channel with your DVD. Then the only transfer that could be affected will be if you RIP from DVD, in which case just RIP to your RAID0 array. All other possible transfers will be optimal with this setup.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
March 7, 2003 3:22:49 AM

Put your backup hard drive on the main controller as Primary Slave with the DVD player. This will insure your RAID array maintains full performance, CD to CD copies perform at max speed, and backup drive to CD writes are at full speed.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
Related resources
!