Qwest wireless status?

This evening while parking at a restaurant in Hillsboro, OR (suburb of
Portland, OR) I noticed a Qwest Wireless tower. I did not realize that
Qwest even had PCS spectrum in Portland, much less a built out network?

I thought I heard somewhere that Qwest was moving all their customers to the
Sprint network?

Any ideas what is up with the Qwest towers? Are they still in use? What
will become of them?

The funny thing is that the tower *RIGHT* next to it is a Sprint tower.

-Eric

Yes, Qwest has spectrum, towers, and customers in the Portland area. I
have a friend who is a customer.
Search this newsgroup on groups.google.com's advanced search for "qwest"
over the past year and you'll find several useful posts about the
Qwest-Sprint deal.

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:31:33 -0700, "Eric Rosenberry"
<erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote:

>This evening while parking at a restaurant in Hillsboro, OR (suburb of
>Portland, OR) I noticed a Qwest Wireless tower. I did not realize that
>Qwest even had PCS spectrum in Portland, much less a built out network?

Yes, for years and years; CDMA network.

>I thought I heard somewhere that Qwest was moving all their customers to the
>Sprint network?

Eventually.

>Any ideas what is up with the Qwest towers? Are they still in use? What
>will become of them?

Dunno.

>The funny thing is that the tower *RIGHT* next to it is a Sprint tower.

What's funny/ironic? Qwest bought into PCS, found they didn't have the
management and craft talent to make a buck from it (given how badly the
company was gutted by Joe and his buddies). They needed cash flow, so they
cut a deal with the number one supporter of virtual carriers, who
coinidentally was SPCS.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

Eric,
Qwest is switching customers over to the Sprint network either by giving
then a Sprint PCS PRL, OTA, or giving them a new phone with the new PRL
already loaded. They are making this change as of last March 1st. In the
meantime, Sprint is cherry-picking Qwest sites. This is not necessarily to
the advantage of Sprint, it is being done to make sure that every Qwest
customer has as good a service as they had before.

In places like yours, there is no need for both sites, so look for Qwest to
deactivate their site. This switchover is going market by market. The
final conversion will be customers in non-Sprint PCS markets where Sprint
will be offering service for the first time, mostly w/Qwest's towers, and it
is assumed, all Sprint customers will have new access in these markets,
mostly in WY, MT, ND, SD, but could also include MN, NE, OR, WA, NM, AZ, UT
and ID.

Some Qwest sites here are transmitting dual SID's.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message

> Any ideas what is up with the Qwest towers? Are they still in use? What
> will become of them?

>>I thought I heard somewhere that Qwest was moving all their customers to the
>>Sprint network?
>
>Eventually.

Actually, QWEST sold their system to Sprint PCS.

Then QWEST is going to re-sell Sprints service using their own name.

--
John S.

sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote in

>>>I thought I heard somewhere that Qwest was moving all their
>>>customers to the Sprint network?
>>
>>Eventually.
>
> Actually, QWEST sold their system to Sprint PCS.
>
> Then QWEST is going to re-sell Sprints service using their own
> name.

Didn't US West (Qwest's predecessor) do the same thing with AirTouch
a few years ago? My first cellphone was from AirTouch and I got it
through US West.

I don't remember the intermediate steps, but eventually my account
ended up at Verizon. The number on my oldest phone is 612-AIR-Txxx.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@visi.com