Serial ATA Power woes

Arcite

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2003
So I went and bought a Seagate 120 GB Barracuda Serial ATA hard drive and now I can't seem to figure out how to hook the silly thing up to the power supply. I saw that Harddrive.com has a 15 pin (male) to 4 pin (male) converter but then how am I supposed to hook up the 4 pin male to the power supply? Do double female 4 pin converters exist and am I just blind? Am I being really stupid here (aside from buying something I didn't make sure I had all the parts for)?

- perpetually confused, Arcite

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
You need a Serial ATA power adaptor cable. There's a picture of one here: <A HREF="http://www.qvs.com/" target="_new">http://www.qvs.com/</A>

It's a 15pin male to 4-pin male, like you said. It should plug into your power supply.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 03/05/03 08:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Yup. Wrong and stupid. There's not a power supply made that comes with that connector.

Someone sure showed some foresight there!

Actually, I do know of ONE power suppy made that somes with a SATA power connector--the prototype Intel used at IDF! I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake getting one of those.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Twitch on 03/05/03 08:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Arcite

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2003
Ooooooooooh ok, see I saw those connectors on other sites and I was getting confused because due to the angle I thought they were the same as the ones coming from the power supply, which I thought were male since they "went into" other things, but the male end is the one with the prongs then, despite the whole plugging in feature.. Ok, I feel stupid now. I thought it was astronimically stupid that they'd be offering something with two male ends without female ends to match from the power supply. But, well, they are. Anyway, thanks for that site and pointing out my idiocy :)

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I just got a gigabyte board and it came with a sata power connector but only one for two drives? I suppose no one actually expects people to use this stuff.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, no, in fact they don't. They put that feature on because they know people want it, not to use it, but just to know that they <i>could use it</i> if they <i>really wanted to</i>.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>