7-11 on the shelf

Didn't even notice it was on the shelves of EB. Maybe I should give it a
look, but my main question is this:

a) How many teams does it have -- like, how comprehensive is it (with
Championship Manager a 10)?

b) How different is the control scheme from FIFA?

c) How's the announcers (FIFA has superb announcing.)

Jonah Falcon

"redTed" <redted@nthellworld.com> wrote in message

> > > Didn't even notice it was on the shelves of EB. Maybe I should give it
> > > look, but my main question is this:
> > >
> > > a) How many teams does it have -- like, how comprehensive is it (with
> > > Championship Manager a 10)?
> > >
> > > b) How different is the control scheme from FIFA?
> > >
> > > c) How's the announcers (FIFA has superb announcing.)

Er, I'm still waiting for an answer to my questions :)

Jonah Falcon

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "redTed" <redted@nthellworld.com> wrote in message

> Er, I'm still waiting for an answer to my questions :)

You must have a lot of free time. Do you work or does your deformed dong
qualify you for disability?

> "We" ?
> I don't see anyone else supporting your cause for steroid taking,
padded-up
> girlies playing "football".

You're probably right. Must be why the TV ratings for the Super Bowl were so
low. Maybe they could stimulate more interest by making all QBs wear skirts.

> > "We" ?
> > I don't see anyone else svpporting yovr cavse for steroid taking,
> padded-vp
> > girlies playing "football".
>
> There's a reason they wear pads -- it's dangerovs. Football players have a
> natvral lifespan of 54, seriovsly, especially linemen.

I was hoping Pee-Doo wovld bite at that...never mind.

As for the lifespan, I think yov may have mixed that vp with their IQ's ;)
Rvgby, leagve and vnion, is jvst as dangerovs.

"Pee-Doo Marts" <inthabassment@mycrib.com> wrote in message
> "redTed" <redted@nthellworld.com> wrote in message
>
> > "We" ?
> > I don't see anyone else supporting your cause for steroid taking,
> padded-up
> > girlies playing "football".
>
> You're probably right. Must be why the TV ratings for the Super Bowl were
so
> low. Maybe they could stimulate more interest by making all QBs wear
skirts.

"5,000 households to agree to be a part of the representative sample for the
national ratings estimates"

Nielson ratings were always dubious at best. 5000..........LOL
A bit like those election forecasts eh ? Those are always spot on...!

> > > "We" ?
> > > I don't see anyone else svpporting yovr cavse for steroid taking,
> > padded-vp
> > > girlies playing "football".
> >
> > There's a reason they wear pads -- it's dangerovs. Football players have
> > natvral lifespan of 54, seriovsly, especially linemen.
> >

> I was hoping Pee-Doo wovld bite at that...never mind.
>
> As for the lifespan, I think yov may have mixed that vp with their IQ's ;)
> Rvgby, leagve and vnion, is jvst as dangerovs.

How many concvssions do rvgby players have? Do 300+ povnd rvgby players
collide on every play 60 times a game?

> How many concussions do rugby players have? Do 300+ pound rugby players
> collide on every play 60 times a game?
>
> Jonah Falcon

The pounding in rugby is constant. You need to catch a match between a
couple local clubs or colleges where you can stand on the sidelines . Better
yet, join a team and try it yourself. Nothing beats getting pounded all
afternoon and then sharing gallons of beer with the opposition the same
evening. I loved the experience. Ruggers are as tough as American football
players. It's a great sport. I wish I could see more of it. I only catch
it on Fox Sports World on occasion.

I think they're much tougher than football players. No pads. No rest in
huddles. No situation substitutions every down. No resting half the game
while the offense/defense plays. Those high-level rugby guys make NFL
players look like pussies. Have you seen the guy who punted for San Diego
who was an ex-rugby player? I saw him make a tackle once and he put the punt
returner flat on his back. The only reason more of those guys haven't played
in the NFL is because physically most of them are tweeners, plus the NFL
requires a pretty high level of specialization by position now.

Rugby players have a lot of concussions, by the way. And a lot of broken
noses.

"Bill Harris" <nospambillharris@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> I think they're much tougher than football players. No pads. No rest in
> huddles. No situation substitutions every down. No resting half the game
> while the offense/defense plays. Those high-level rugby guys make NFL
> players look like pussies. Have you seen the guy who punted for San Diego
> who was an ex-rugby player? I saw him make a tackle once and he put the
punt
> returner flat on his back. The only reason more of those guys haven't
played
> in the NFL is because physically most of them are tweeners, plus the NFL
> requires a pretty high level of specialization by position now.
>
> Rugby players have a lot of concussions, by the way. And a lot of broken
> noses.

...and nothing smells quite like a scrum late in a match.

I think it hasn't caught on here (much like soccer) is that there is little
opportunity for commercial breaks.

Maybe it would be better discussed in an off-topic post, but the tastes of
American sports fans are driven by commercial concerns. Bill Walton gushing
over Kobe and the Lakers, or the Yankees being featured more than the
Marlins are not accidents.

I love "Well, they don't use pads in rugby".

Little hint: Why do you think they NEED pads in American football. (rolling
eyes)

Let me know if you see two rugby players the size of linemen playing rugby,
too.

Rugby is just a constant wedge kickoff return in American football. You
could fit the entire rugby playbook on one page of American football's.

> I love "Well, they don't use pads in rugby".
>
> Little hint: Why do you think they NEED pads in American football.
(rolling
> eyes)
>
> Let me know if you see two rugby players the size of linemen playing
rugby,
> too.
>
> Rugby is just a constant wedge kickoff return in American football. You
> could fit the entire rugby playbook on one page of American football's.

I had hoped you wouldn't be quite so ignorant about something you obviously
know nothing about, but that's your forté, isn't it ?

Jonah, I killfiled you, just to increase my enjoyment of the newsgroup, but
since I received your collateral damage from redTed's post--if you don't
know anything about rugby, and clearly you don't, maybe you should stop
rolling your eyes and stop sounding so stupid. Saying that 'Rugby is just a
constant wedge kickoff return' is really remarkably ignorant.

"S. Delerme" <delerme@free.fr> wrote in message

> I'm not trolling (at least not consciously) but the fact is, what I
> admire in athletes in team sports is their "sport smart". You can find
> it in basketball players, in hockey players, in about every team
> sport.

> What I see in american football is players who (except for the QB) are
> supposed to exactly do what their coach tells them, and don't have to
> think too much for themselves since every play lasts for but a few
> seconds.

In that case, you clearly do NOT understand American football
as much as you thought you did.

While a general play is called, the QB and the RB's have the ability to
change the play (to a limited extent) while the ball is still in motion.
The
option play is the best example... Keep and pass, or handoff and duck?
But even in a typical passing play, the wide receivers and running backs
have to run their routes WHILE dodging coverage, while defense could
be playing zone or man-to-man or even double-teaming some hot
receivers.

Even in a running play, the running back's job is hardly done when he
gets
through the "hole" created by the offensive line. The other backs are
often
trying to draw off other defenders, or provide blocking against
defenders
who's chasing the ball carrier, and so on.

I am afraid your comments have only demonstrated your... ignorance
of American Football.

On Sun, 02 May 2004 19:26:12 GMT, "Kasey Chang \(remove EATSPAM to
reply\)" <kschang77@eatspamhotmail.com> wrote:

>"S. Delerme" <delerme@free.fr> wrote in message

>> What I see in american football is players who (except for the QB) are
>> supposed to exactly do what their coach tells them, and don't have to
>> think too much for themselves since every play lasts for but a few
>> seconds.
>
>In that case, you clearly do NOT understand American football
>as much as you thought you did.

That certainly may be the case (even though I used to watch games on a
weekly basis)

>While a general play is called, the QB and the RB's have the ability to
>change the play (to a limited extent) while the ball is still in motion.
>The
>option play is the best example... Keep and pass, or handoff and duck?
>But even in a typical passing play, the wide receivers and running backs
>have to run their routes WHILE dodging coverage, while defense could
>be playing zone or man-to-man or even double-teaming some hot
>receivers.

But do they decide to double-team themselves or do they just follow
the coach's decisions ?
I'm not saying it is not a sport (since in track and field, for
example, the options are even more limited), what I'm saying is that
what really awes me in team games (like basketball for example), the
ability to improvise and adjust to the general situation seems to be
lacking in most of the game (but maybe it's just because I can't
understand the subtleties)

>Even in a running play, the running back's job is hardly done when he
>gets
>through the "hole" created by the offensive line. The other backs are
>often
>trying to draw off other defenders, or provide blocking against
>defenders
>who's chasing the ball carrier, and so on.
>
>I am afraid your comments have only demonstrated your... ignorance
>of American Football.

It may be so