High Definition Big Screen Television

Hey everybody!

I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready. Does
anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
didn't find many useable sites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

JMA
12 answers Last reply
More about high definition screen television
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hey everybody!
    >
    > I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready.
    Does
    > anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
    > purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
    > didn't find many useable sites.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

    You might want to try http://www.epinions.com/ .
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hey everybody!
    >
    > I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready.
    Does
    > anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
    > purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
    > didn't find many useable sites.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    >

    > JMA

    Try the link below. It's the AVS forum
    You'll have to spend some time there, but most of the posts are from people
    who take their AV gear seriously. The forum is tightly moderated so you
    don't get much of those crackpot opinions from folks who don't even own the
    TVs.You might want to pick up a buyer's guide from Sound & Vision too.

    I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
    DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
    fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.
    http://www.avsforum.com

    http://www.avsforum.com
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    In article <gfqdnQornPTumRHdRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, maniac@large says...

    > "Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
    > DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
    > fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.
    > http://www.avsforum.com

    Same here. I spent many weeks reading up on it and I made the Samsung
    choice as well. However, I *AM* a raving fanboy now. I absolutely love
    this TV, especially with my Xbox hooked up to it!

    --
    Rob Berryhill
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Joe, Pumbaa's absolutely right--the AVS Forums are fantastic. You can get
    great information on all types of sets.

    "Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hey everybody!
    >
    > I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready.
    Does
    > anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
    > purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
    > didn't find many useable sites.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    >

    > JMA

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:33:24 -0500, "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote:

    >I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
    >DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
    >fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.

    Yup, me too. Very happy with my 43" Samsung DLP and it makes a great gaming
    monitor when hooked up to a pc.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Which Samsung?

    I was in today looking at the Sony GranWega 60 inch set. The guy at
    Tweeter said I should consider this Samsung DLP set, I have the model
    number written down, but it is downstairs right now.

    I think the Samsung was 56 or 57 inches and about 400 less then the
    Wega.

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:33:24 -0500, "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote:

    >"Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> Hey everybody!
    >>
    >> I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready.
    >Does
    >> anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
    >> purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
    >> didn't find many useable sites.
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    >>

    >> JMA
    >>

    >Try the link below. It's the AVS forum
    >You'll have to spend some time there, but most of the posts are from people
    >who take their AV gear seriously. The forum is tightly moderated so you
    >don't get much of those crackpot opinions from folks who don't even own the
    >TVs.You might want to pick up a buyer's guide from Sound & Vision too.
    >
    >I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
    >DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
    >fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.
    >http://www.avsforum.com
    >

    >http://www.avsforum.com

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:07:46 -0500, Rob Berryhill <Rob_Berryhill@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >No wonder mine looks like it is in 480p! It's hard to tell with the
    >Samsung, though, because that up-convert technology makes even normal TV
    >look damn good.

    Its not unless you are using a component hookup with the MS hd pack THEN you
    have to hit L+R +press the 2 sticks in at the same time. This all after you get
    the free update.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 07:06:31 -0400, Baked <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:07:46 -0500, Rob Berryhill <Rob_Berryhill@hotmail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>No wonder mine looks like it is in 480p! It's hard to tell with the
    >>Samsung, though, because that up-convert technology makes even normal TV
    >>look damn good.
    >
    >Its not unless you are using a component hookup with the MS hd pack THEN you
    >have to hit L+R +press the 2 sticks in at the same time. This all after you get
    >the free update.

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=0b06b0604e2d1d5faa216b65cac06610&threadid=394488

    Details there. Big news if you are an XboXer and have a sammy DLP.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    In article <E7udnb5iba6h8xHdRVn-iQ@comcast.com>,
    "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote:

    > You're leaving out the best part of all: The DVI in.
    >
    > With the S-160 Direct TV receiver and the 931 DVD player (both have DVI
    > out), the Samsung 467W really shows what it can do.

    Lot of people think that OTA gets you the highest resolution because OTA
    stations are usually using the full bandwidth. Cable and satellite on
    the other hand are rationing bandwidth out of necessity.

    I'm hoping Direct TV puts up more HDTV channels, including local ones,
    because I'm in a bad OTA situation.

    BTW, the next-gen consoles have to support DVI or Firewire.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote in message
    > I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
    > DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
    > fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.

    Could you tell me the model of the Samsung TV you got? I'd like to do some
    research on it.

    Thanks!

    JMA
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    > "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote in message
    > > I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a
    Samsung
    > > DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
    > > fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.
    >
    > Could you tell me the model of the Samsung TV you got? I'd like to do some
    > research on it.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > JMA

    HLN467W

    There will be newer (maybe better) models out this summer.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    In article <o9Ric.14874$pg.677@okepread05>, "Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote:
    >Hey everybody!
    >
    >I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready. Does
    >anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
    >purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
    >didn't find many useable sites.
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    >

    >JMA

    www.hometheaterspot.com

PC gaming TV Video Games