High Definition Big Screen Television

Last response: in Video Games
April 25, 2004 2:52:52 PM

Hey everybody!

I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready. Does
anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
didn't find many useable sites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

JMA
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 4:03:17 PM

"Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o 9Ric.14874$pg.677@okepread05...
> Hey everybody!
>
> I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready.
Does
> anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
> purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
> didn't find many useable sites.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You might want to try http://www.epinions.com/ .
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 5:33:24 PM

"Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o 9Ric.14874$pg.677@okepread05...
> Hey everybody!
>
> I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready.
Does
> anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
> purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
> didn't find many useable sites.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>

> JMA

Try the link below. It's the AVS forum
You'll have to spend some time there, but most of the posts are from people
who take their AV gear seriously. The forum is tightly moderated so you
don't get much of those crackpot opinions from folks who don't even own the
TVs.You might want to pick up a buyer's guide from Sound & Vision too.

I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.
http://www.avsforum.com

http://www.avsforum.com
April 25, 2004 9:11:38 PM

In article <gfqdnQornPTumRHdRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, maniac@large says...

> "Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:o 9Ric.14874$pg.677@okepread05...
> I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
> DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
> fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.
> http://www.avsforum.com

Same here. I spent many weeks reading up on it and I made the Samsung
choice as well. However, I *AM* a raving fanboy now. I absolutely love
this TV, especially with my Xbox hooked up to it!

--
Rob Berryhill
Anonymous

Joe, Pumbaa's absolutely right--the AVS Forums are fantastic. You can get
great information on all types of sets.

"Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
news:o 9Ric.14874$pg.677@okepread05...
> Hey everybody!
>
> I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready.
Does
> anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
> purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
> didn't find many useable sites.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>

> JMA

April 26, 2004 2:37:01 AM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:33:24 -0500, "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote:

>I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
>DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
>fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.

Yup, me too. Very happy with my 43" Samsung DLP and it makes a great gaming
monitor when hooked up to a pc.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 4:58:07 AM

Which Samsung?

I was in today looking at the Sony GranWega 60 inch set. The guy at
Tweeter said I should consider this Samsung DLP set, I have the model
number written down, but it is downstairs right now.

I think the Samsung was 56 or 57 inches and about 400 less then the
Wega.

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:33:24 -0500, "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote:

>"Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:o 9Ric.14874$pg.677@okepread05...
>> Hey everybody!
>>
>> I'm getting ready to purchase a big-screen television that's HD ready.
>Does
>> anyone know of a site where you can read reviews and get advice on
>> purchasing these types of televisions? I've searched using Google, and I
>> didn't find many useable sites.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>>

>> JMA
>>

>Try the link below. It's the AVS forum
>You'll have to spend some time there, but most of the posts are from people
>who take their AV gear seriously. The forum is tightly moderated so you
>don't get much of those crackpot opinions from folks who don't even own the
>TVs.You might want to pick up a buyer's guide from Sound & Vision too.
>
>I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
>DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
>fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.
>http://www.avsforum.com
>

>http://www.avsforum.com

April 26, 2004 11:06:31 AM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:07:46 -0500, Rob Berryhill <Rob_Berryhill@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>No wonder mine looks like it is in 480p! It's hard to tell with the
>Samsung, though, because that up-convert technology makes even normal TV
>look damn good.

Its not unless you are using a component hookup with the MS hd pack THEN you
have to hit L+R +press the 2 sticks in at the same time. This all after you get
the free update.
April 26, 2004 11:08:24 AM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 07:06:31 -0400, Baked <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:07:46 -0500, Rob Berryhill <Rob_Berryhill@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>No wonder mine looks like it is in 480p! It's hard to tell with the
>>Samsung, though, because that up-convert technology makes even normal TV
>>look damn good.
>
>Its not unless you are using a component hookup with the MS hd pack THEN you
>have to hit L+R +press the 2 sticks in at the same time. This all after you get
>the free update.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=0b06b06...

Details there. Big news if you are an XboXer and have a sammy DLP.
April 26, 2004 8:10:35 PM

In article <E7udnb5iba6h8xHdRVn-iQ@comcast.com>,
"Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote:

> You're leaving out the best part of all: The DVI in.
>
> With the S-160 Direct TV receiver and the 931 DVD player (both have DVI
> out), the Samsung 467W really shows what it can do.

Lot of people think that OTA gets you the highest resolution because OTA
stations are usually using the full bandwidth. Cable and satellite on
the other hand are rationing bandwidth out of necessity.

I'm hoping Direct TV puts up more HDTV channels, including local ones,
because I'm in a bad OTA situation.

BTW, the next-gen consoles have to support DVI or Firewire.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 9:42:45 PM

"Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote in message
> I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a Samsung
> DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
> fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.

Could you tell me the model of the Samsung TV you got? I'd like to do some
research on it.

Thanks!

JMA
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 11:21:58 PM

"Joe Ankenbauer" <ankenbauer@cox.net> wrote in message
news:D fgjc.24$iy5.16@okepread05...
> "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote in message
> > I spent months reading posts on the AVS forum before deciding on a
Samsung
> > DLP set. It works fine for me and I'm very happy with it. I'm not a
> > fanboy, however. You will have to decide what's best for you.
>
> Could you tell me the model of the Samsung TV you got? I'd like to do some
> research on it.
>
> Thanks!
>

> JMA

HLN467W

There will be newer (maybe better) models out this summer.
April 27, 2004 6:15:24 PM

www.hometheaterspot.com
!