Memory problems System Dump

ps40

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2003
Hi,
I have the following configuration
ENERMAX 300 W power supply, ASUS A7V333, Athlon 1700+, 2 x KINGMAX DDR 333 256 MB, ATI Radeon 8500, Western Digital 40 GB 7200 rpm, SAMSUNG CD R/RW/DVD ROM, Windows XP.

My motherboard has three slots for memory. When I use only one stick of memory (either one of them) in any of the slots then my system works ok. However whenever I try to use both the memory sticks in slots 1/2, 1/3, 2/3 my system frequently crashes with a blue screen 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO' etc.

Both the memory sticks belong to the same lot #. ASUS support told me that I could have a problem with memory timings though I do not know what that means and if I could adjust/synchronize the two chips in some way.

Could this be a power supply problem. Would it help if I took out my CD R/RW/DVD ROM Drive?

Please Help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a power supply problem but unhooking a 12v device like the CD-Rom probably won't help. It could also be a memory timing issue, if you go into BIOS you'll see under one of the menues a setting for Cas Latency. If it's grayed out and above it says "By SPD" change that to "Manually" and change the Cas Latency to 3 and the other setting to 7t/9t or whatever the highest setting is.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>