Please help a newbie!!

Hello all, first time poster here. I'm looking to put together a bedroom
studio where I can record a mix some music, but I have very little knowledge
about how to go about it properly. I have a small PA consisting of a cheapo
eight band mixer (Behringer) a couple of EV speakers, a QSC amp and a cheapo
multi effects unit. I also have a fairly new PC with decent capabilities.

I want to be able to record guitar, vocals, etc. and have the ability to add
keyboards, drums, etc. from samples (hope that's the right word). Anyhow, I
was thinking of starting with a decent set of powered monitors that could do
double duty as my computer speakers, but I really have no idea what to look
at, just too damned many brands. And, once I get the monitors, then what
else am I going to need to do what I want to do? Software? Can I play
through my current mixer into my computer, or how do I go about it.

All help and advise is appreciated.

Oh yeah, I also have a couple of Sure SM-58's, but I don't know how good
they would be for recording.

Thanks,
Jack
2 answers Last reply
More about please newbie

    Jack Dotson wrote:
    > Hello all, first time poster here. I'm looking to put together a
    bedroom
    > studio where I can record a mix some music, but I have very little
    knowledge
    > about how to go about it properly. I have a small PA consisting of a
    cheapo
    > eight band mixer (Behringer) a couple of EV speakers, a QSC amp and a
    cheapo
    > multi effects unit. I also have a fairly new PC with decent
    capabilities.

    > I want to be able to record guitar, vocals, etc. and have the ability
    to add
    > keyboards, drums, etc. from samples (hope that's the right word).
    Anyhow, I
    > was thinking of starting with a decent set of powered monitors that
    could do
    > double duty as my computer speakers, but I really have no idea what
    to look
    > at, just too damned many brands. And, once I get the monitors, then
    what
    > else am I going to need to do what I want to do? Software? Can I
    play
    > through my current mixer into my computer, or how do I go about it.
    >
    > All help and advise is appreciated.
    >
    > Oh yeah, I also have a couple of Sure SM-58's, but I don't know how
    good
    > they would be for recording.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jack

    There's quite a bit of ground to cover in formulating a response,
    therefore I'll point you to a website that, in my opinion, can help you
    in most all of the respects you're enquiring about:

    http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

    Hope that helps,
    J.C. Scott

    "J.C. Scott" <jacyscott@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Jack Dotson wrote:
    >> Hello all, first time poster here. I'm looking to put together a
    > bedroom
    >> studio where I can record a mix some music, but I have very little
    > knowledge
    >> about how to go about it properly. I have a small PA consisting of a
    > cheapo
    >> eight band mixer (Behringer) a couple of EV speakers, a QSC amp and a
    > cheapo
    >> multi effects unit. I also have a fairly new PC with decent
    > capabilities.
    >>
    >> I want to be able to record guitar, vocals, etc. and have the ability
    > to add
    >> keyboards, drums, etc. from samples (hope that's the right word).
    > Anyhow, I
    >> was thinking of starting with a decent set of powered monitors that
    > could do
    >> double duty as my computer speakers, but I really have no idea what
    > to look
    >> at, just too damned many brands. And, once I get the monitors, then
    > what
    >> else am I going to need to do what I want to do? Software? Can I
    > play
    >> through my current mixer into my computer, or how do I go about it.
    >>
    >> All help and advise is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Oh yeah, I also have a couple of Sure SM-58's, but I don't know how
    > good
    >> they would be for recording.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Jack
    >
    > There's quite a bit of ground to cover in formulating a response,
    > therefore I'll point you to a website that, in my opinion, can help you
    > in most all of the respects you're enquiring about:
    >
    > http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
    >

    > Hope that helps,
    > J.C. Scott

    Thanks...