motu 828mkii and mackie onix 800R

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
February 10, 2005 4:48:58 PM

hi all,
is possible to connect the onix 800R via optical toslink to my motu
828mkii in order to get extra 8 indipendent inputs?

regards
--
ale
Anonymous

In article <eDJOd.522674$b5.24360671@news3.tin.it> sparkwest@yahooc.om writes:

> is possible to connect the onix 800R via optical toslink to my motu
> 828mkii in order to get extra 8 indipendent inputs?

You have the MOTU 828, I have an Onxy 800R. I can tell you that you
can get all eight channels in the ADAT optical format at up to 48 kHz
sample rate out of one TOSLink connector. Now you tell me if that's
what your MOTU accommodates and you'll have your answer.

The Onyx actually has two TOSLink outputs (at up to 49 kHz, you get
eight channels out of both of them) and implements the S-Mux protocol
for higher sample rates - 4 channels on each connector at 96 kHz, 2
channels on each connector at 192 kHz.

February 11, 2005 4:48:37 AM

10 Feb 2005 16:49:15 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com suggested:
:
: In article <eDJOd.522674$b5.24360671@news3.tin.it> sparkwest@yahooc.om writes:
:
:> is possible to connect the onix 800R via optical toslink to my motu
:> 828mkii in order to get extra 8 indipendent inputs?
:
: You have the MOTU 828, I have an Onxy 800R. I can tell you that you
: can get all eight channels in the ADAT optical format at up to 48 kHz
: sample rate out of one TOSLink connector. Now you tell me if that's
: what your MOTU accommodates and you'll have your answer.
:
: The Onyx actually has two TOSLink outputs (at up to 49 kHz, you get
: eight channels out of both of them) and implements the S-Mux protocol
: for higher sample rates - 4 channels on each connector at 96 kHz, 2
: channels on each connector at 192 kHz.

I'm pretty sure that this is how the 828mkII works, though it only has one
connector in and one connector out. I've pulled 8 48kHz channels in over
the optical input before with no problem, but I've never tried to do all
of the possible channels simultaneously. If you had a coaxial SPDIF stereo
A/D converter (maybe a DAT machine?) you could theoretically have up to 20
channels in at a time. (2 mics, 8 analog, 8 optical, 2 coaxial)

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
Related resources

andrewunix ha scritto:
> 10 Feb 2005 16:49:15 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com suggested:
> :
> : In article <eDJOd.522674$b5.24360671@news3.tin.it> sparkwest@yahooc.om writes:
> :
> :> is possible to connect the onix 800R via optical toslink to my motu
> :> 828mkii in order to get extra 8 indipendent inputs?
> :
> : You have the MOTU 828, I have an Onxy 800R. I can tell you that you
> : can get all eight channels in the ADAT optical format at up to 48 kHz
> : sample rate out of one TOSLink connector. Now you tell me if that's
> : what your MOTU accommodates and you'll have your answer.
> :
> : The Onyx actually has two TOSLink outputs (at up to 49 kHz, you get
> : eight channels out of both of them) and implements the S-Mux protocol
> : for higher sample rates - 4 channels on each connector at 96 kHz, 2
> : channels on each connector at 192 kHz.
>
> I'm pretty sure that this is how the 828mkII works, though it only has one
> connector in and one connector out. I've pulled 8 48kHz channels in over
> the optical input before with no problem, but I've never tried to do all
> of the possible channels simultaneously. If you had a coaxial SPDIF stereo
> A/D converter (maybe a DAT machine?) you could theoretically have up to 20
> channels in at a time. (2 mics, 8 analog, 8 optical, 2 coaxial)

thanks guys

yes, "theoretically"!
Reading the 828 and the onyx manuals i got the same answer but, dealing
with digital protocols, i expect to experience directly, on the real
machine, if this will work.
For this reason i asked here if someone has tested both pieces of gear
"on the road".
I'm about to purchase the onyx so i want be "pretty sure" that things
will work without hidden problems like, for sample, firewire overload or
loosing some feature inside cuemix, just for sample again.
Yes again, for extra eight tracks i need to downsample to 48K, for
digital adat protocol limitations (i suppose), or be limited to extra
four trk only, at 96K.

regards
--
ale
Anonymous

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:54:35 GMT, sparkwest@yahooc.om suggested:
: andrewunix ha scritto:
:>
[...]

I can't think of any way that Cuemix could be adversely affected by this,
since it has discrete channels for each possible input and output.

Firewire overload is only likely to be a problem if you're running other
firewire devices that use a lot of bandwidth while you're capturing. (i.e.
capturing from the MOTU to a firewire hard disk.) Even then, audio isn't
really all that intensive.

20 channels x 24 bits * 48000 /s ~= 23 Mb/s, and the protocol overhead
can't be too much in addition to that. Should fit pretty easily into
Firewire's 400 Mb/s with plenty of room for other devices.

FWIW, I've done (NTSC 480i) DV capture from a camera to a firewire hard disk
on the same firewire bus without any glitches, and that's about 25 Mb/s.

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
!