Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BSOD

Last response: in Windows 7
February 22, 2010 12:17:49 AM

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here. Over the last month I have been having problems with my computer. About 2 weeks after I installed a new piece of hardware (an ATI TV Wonder 650 pcie to be precise) my keyboard started acting funny. Sometimes it would randomly turn off. Other times it would randomly type slashes. After about 2 days of that I started getting blue screens when using flash player. Things gradually got worse until I couldn't even access a file without a blue screen. Throughout that time I attempted to figure out the problem, but couldn't.

Today I finally reinstalled Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Things were going rather well, except that windows was having trouble recognizing the tv tuner card, but everything was running well regardless. I left the house with my computer running for about an hour and when I returned my computer had blue-screened and restarted itself. I took out the tuner card hoping it was the problem, but a while later the computer again blue screened while doing a restart.

My computer specs are:

Biostar TA790GXA2+
Phenom 2 x4 920
4 GB Mushkin DDR 2 1066
Sapphire Radeon HD 4830
Diamond ATI TV Wonder HD 650
Diamond Remote Control
Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0
Phillips DVD super multi IDE
LG DVD super multi SATA
2x Seagate 250GB SATA hard drives
HP Photosmart C4280

All my drivers have been updated to their latest versions straight for manufacturer websites, except the tv tuner which does not have a Windows 7 driver and so has been uninstalled. Here are my two minidumps:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : bsod

a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2010 11:26:53 AM

Sounds like a hardware failure somewhere. Have you looked in the Event Log and looked around the times it crashed to see what might have been logged there as well? That can help too.
m
l
February 22, 2010 12:31:16 PM

I hadn't even thought to look there yet. I guess a year without computer problems has made me a bit lax in my troubleshooting. I will check this evening and see if there is anything helpful.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 23, 2010 3:02:03 AM

Well, I spent quite a few hours in the event logs this evening and I am not quite sure what to think. I did not really notice anything directly related to the first crash I listed. For the second crash, and I believe all subsequent crashes I did notice that immediately after reboot I get a Machine Check Exception/Cache Hierarchy Error in my cpu (once was Processor 2, the rest have been Processor 3). But that error seems to be happening after the Blue Screens, assuming I am reading the event log correctly.

Out of curiosity I decided to attempt a Windows Experience Index test, and the computer crashed. Unfortunately I did not notice what the test was doing at the moment of the crash.

I have sense restored the system to the post-install state, or at least as close as I could get to it. I did not do anything with the computer, but let it sit idle for a while. After the screen had been off fora few minutes, possibly long enough to activate the sleep mode, I saw another blue screen. When I checked the event logs, the only error I noticed was the cpu error that seems to happen after the system restart.

There have been other errors recorded, but none around the times of the various crashes. For instance, twice there was an error n UAC that read "The process failed to handle ERROR_ELEVATION_REQUEST during the creation of a child process." In another instance a possible memory leak was recorded in svchost.exe-k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted with a recommendation to get a new driver from the manufacturer, which apperas to have occured before I updated any of my drivers.

Just to be sure, I am going to run memtest tonight.

I have recorded the error numbers (i.e. 0x000000d1, etc) for the actual blue screens. Would those be at all useful?

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?
m
l
February 23, 2010 1:43:59 PM

Well, tested the ram, 8 passes and no errors. Am I looking at a failing cpu, or could something else be causing these issues?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2010 1:51:23 PM

Have you gone to the motherboard manufacturer and checked to see if you have the latest BIOS? I see that the latest BIOS provides Win7 compatibility -> http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/bios.php?S_ID=3....

Have you applied this BIOS to your motherboard yet? That might solve your problems.

Also, did you go here -> http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/driver.php?S_ID... and get the latest drivers and software? There are definitely some in there for Windows 7.

If after patching your BIOS and applying the latest driver updates the BSOD still continues, I would start taking out as many devices as possible and then run tests, including stress tests and temperature tests on everything, including our CPU temp, chipset temp and GPU temp. Then, if the BSOD doesn't appear, add another device and start testing again.

Hopefully, the issue is with your BIOS patch level not being the latest and that should solve your problem.
February 23, 2010 2:06:19 PM

Ok. I will give that a try. If the BIOS does not fix the problem, what programs do you recommend that I use for the tests?
m
l
February 26, 2010 10:43:51 AM

Well, I have updated my bios, reinstalled Windows, and installed all the latest drivers. I ran Prime95 torture test for 8 hours, ran 3dmark vantage twice, and ran memtest86+ for 8 hours with no problems with my main hardware. All I have left is to install my printer, tv tuner (which I will wait until the official driver comes out), mce remote, and all the Windows updates (which I will do one at a time). Thank you very much for the help.
m
l
February 26, 2010 10:44:30 AM

Best answer selected by nbickfud.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 27, 2010 1:38:50 AM

Glad to see that this might be your fix. Considering the amount of testing you've been doing, it sounds like you may have the problem beat.
m
l
!