Power Supply expert wanted

Joseph_Bolo

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2001
I have a full array of many powered devices on my computer, so I know I am using a lot of juice. Recently the computer has been crashing hard (hard reboot necessary) with file corruption - which I never got before with any crash on WIN XP.

I hear my hard drive powering down abruptly then powering back up with no activity lights sometimes (not related to XP disk maintenance) – it never did this before.

I have reloaded software and did all tests on my hard drives and hardware. The only thing I have noticed is on Motherboard Monitor 5 - the negative voltages are very low: -5.00 is -1.08; and -12.00 is -2.03.

The power supply is an Enermax EG465P-VE (431 watts) and about 2 years old and has worked fine until now.

Is there a good possibility the power supply is at fault and should I replace it.

Please help me out, I want to be sure before undertaking this transplant

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
its more likely that your hard drive is failing, do you hear kind of a clank and a click?

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

svol

Champion
Negetive voltages aren't important and not used by the HDs... they only use a 5V and 12V cable.

It could be the HDs or the PSU connectors to the HD are bad.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: