Fan filters for a Chieftec case

livedistortion

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I was wondering if anyone has used fan filters with their Chieftec cases and what the outcome was. This seems like a great case, but one thing it doesn't have is the filters and since they have those snap in fans Xoxide said that the filter will work, but it's a tight fit. Anyone have any ideas for doing this to a case that doesn't come with that option?

Thanks

G

I think that it should work.
I have a cheiftec case (antec plusview1000amg) and I have fan filters comming in tomorrow from xoxide. I will update you on whether they fit in or not ASAP.

livedistortion

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Cool, do you think it would work for the side fan models too?

Are the fans that come with it quiet?

Doesn't your Antec model come with fan filters or is that just the 1080?

G

OK,
I am not sure what fans you are talking about, but the fans that came with my case are somewhat quite. Maybe somewhere near 32db (just guessing). The case has a fan filter in the front, so I will only be installing a filter on the side (window) fan. They are designed the same as the front (intake) and back (exhaust) fans, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Get back to you once I get the filters.

livedistortion

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Thanks. What are the filters that come with the case like? I assume they aren't like the aftermarket type that we're buying...the kind where you actually have to remove the fan to clean it out.

G

It is one big filter that covers the air vents in the front of the case. It isn't a thin mesh like the ones at xoxide. Instead, it's a big metal plate with loads of big holes in it. You can pull it out from the bottom of the case to clean it.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
lol, these Americans dont know what tights are :smile: . In their country theyre called 'pantyhose' (sp?)

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
tights and pentyhoses are not even similar. tights are like thick sport pants skin tight. pentyhoses are light and thin.

get a girlfriend so you get more informed. :D

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

G

i cut large areas of the fan filter so that it can fit into the case. The quality of the filter is so low that i decided not to use it. It stops ALOT of the air comming through. I would guess about 80 % of the air gets blown back out and dosent go the way you want it to.

Stay away from these

G

here is the how I did it, even though i ended up not using the filter:
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/zachcomp/build.html" target="_new"> sneak peak at my new site </A>

livedistortion

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
Hey dude, thanks for keeping me posted. I like your site by the way. I'm thinking of getting the Antec 1080, is there a way to get a filter on that fan without having to mod it like you did. And anyway, you said you ended up not using it because of the airflow blockage. What did you end up doing, just go without? Please let me know if you think of something.

Take care,

Anthony

G

I am just going without for now. The air flow was so bad with the filter. I think that there was more air was comming out the wrong than there was the right way.

G

nope. you don't need the adapters or spliters. I just got them because I figured that I might need them. I am using the 3 pin fan spliter though (only because I just bought a nexus fan controller and want to use more than one fan on each channel).

All in all, none of it is needed.

G

still a very low amount of air comes through. The fan actually turn slower with the filter on it because it has to work harder to get a smaller amount of air through.

I am sticking with my recomendation to not but this air filter!