Sanyo 8100 - battery life

Last response: in Network Providers
July 2, 2004 4:05:19 PM

My wife and I have had these Sanyo 8100 phones since November. After the
recent firmware update battery life has been about half. Is there a way to
get the old firmware put back on? And why would a firmware upgrade cause
battery life to decrease?

We used to get 4-5 days of battery life using the phones about 10-20 minutes
a day. Now we're lucky to get 2 days. The phones are powered on all the
time.

Bruce Richards
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 8:58:26 PM

My wife and I just got rid of our 18 month old 8100's cause the
batteries started going bad.

Other than if your phone is "searching for service", the firmware will
not affect battery life.

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:05:19 GMT, "Bruce Richards"
<bruce@ns.siriusgt.com> wrote:

>My wife and I have had these Sanyo 8100 phones since November. After the
>recent firmware update battery life has been about half. Is there a way to
>get the old firmware put back on? And why would a firmware upgrade cause
>battery life to decrease?
>
>We used to get 4-5 days of battery life using the phones about 10-20 minutes
>a day. Now we're lucky to get 2 days. The phones are powered on all the
>time.
>
>Bruce Richards

Anonymous
July 2, 2004 10:20:39 PM

These phones are only 7 1/2 months old. But they do search a lot since the
last PRL upgrade.

Bruce

<Lizard@Lair.com> wrote in message
> My wife and I just got rid of our 18 month old 8100's cause the
> batteries started going bad.
>
> Other than if your phone is "searching for service", the firmware will
> not affect battery life.
>

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:05:19 GMT, "Bruce Richards"
> <bruce@ns.siriusgt.com> wrote:
>
> >My wife and I have had these Sanyo 8100 phones since November. After the
> >recent firmware update battery life has been about half. Is there a way
> >get the old firmware put back on? And why would a firmware upgrade cause
> >battery life to decrease?
> >
> >We used to get 4-5 days of battery life using the phones about 10-20
minutes
> >a day. Now we're lucky to get 2 days. The phones are powered on all the
> >time.
> >
> >Bruce Richards

July 3, 2004 12:32:28 AM

"Bruce Richards" <bruce@ns.siriusgt.com> wrote in message

<snipped>

> These phones were bought November 18, 2003 so they aren't a year old yet.
>
> Bruce

Well, good news then, as they are both under warranty. Have both hand sets
tested out. It if is determined to be a bad batch of batteries, SPCS should
be able to replace them, if they are in stock ...

Bob
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 3:46:52 PM

> Other than if your phone is "searching for service",
> the firmware will not affect battery life.

BINGO - a firmware update likely will reset the default "Network" setting to
"Automatic". Change it to "SprintPCS Only" (assuming you don't roam), and
battery life improves!!!
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 8:54:54 AM

Bruce Richards wrote:
> My wife and I have had these Sanyo 8100 phones since November. After the
> recent firmware update battery life has been about half. Is there a way to
> get the old firmware put back on? And why would a firmware upgrade cause
> battery life to decrease?

If I had a firmware update, it would have been AFTER I started having
short battery life. When I got the 8100 last February, I could go at
least two days before having to recharge it. About two months later, I
noticed it was almost dead by the end of the day...now its dead by noon.

Took it to Sprint for testing, all they did was offer me a free extended
life battery.

I said I wanted to stay with the original battery size, but it still is
dead by noon, so that rules out a bad battery. Now all of this is when
I'm in Sprint network coverage and have Sprint only set in my roaming
options.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 4:21:41 PM

> > These phones were bought November 18, 2003 so they aren't a year old
yet.

> Well, good news then, as they are both under warranty. Have both hand sets
> tested out. It if is determined to be a bad batch of batteries, SPCS
should
> be able to replace them, if they are in stock ...

Took them back to the Sprint store and they reapplied the PRL update and
firmware updates and tested the phones and batteries and claim there is
nothing wrong with them. So now we will wait and see if they last any
longer.

Bruce
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 5:48:57 PM

In article <pPwGc.2148$m%7.1790@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
"Bruce Richards" <bruce@ns.siriusgt.com> wrote:

> > > These phones were bought November 18, 2003 so they aren't a year old
> yet.
> > >

> > Well, good news then, as they are both under warranty. Have both hand sets
> > tested out. It if is determined to be a bad batch of batteries, SPCS
> should
> > be able to replace them, if they are in stock ...
> >

> Took them back to the Sprint store and they reapplied the PRL update and
> firmware updates and tested the phones and batteries and claim there is
> nothing wrong with them. So now we will wait and see if they last any
> longer.
>
> Bruce

If your phones are doing Analog roaming that will seriously diminish
battery life between charges. Even if the cell phone is only "Searching
for Service", that uses extra juice.

Workarounds:

- Set phone for "SprintPCS only" (if you dont need to roam)

- Turn off phone if its in a "No Signal" area.

- Turn phone off over night.

- Use a car charger to charge whenever in your car.
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 2:57:48 AM

Bruce Richards wrote:
> We used to get 4-5 days of battery life using the phones about 10-20 minutes
> a day. Now we're lucky to get 2 days.

Took my six month old Sanyo (brand new off the shelf) for a SECOND test
because of poor battery life. As I posted two months ago, they found
nothing wrong with the phone and offered me an extended battery which I
declined.

When I took it in for the second test, he siad it might be the
battery...I pointed out the battery was only two months old.

I keep the LCS screens set to like 10 seconds and set for Sprint network
only.

The phone was great a few months after I got it, but now its dead by the
end of the day.
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 4:04:17 PM

"JRW" wrote:

> I keep the LCS screens set to like 10 seconds and set for Sprint network
> only.
>
> The phone was great a few months after I got it, but now its dead by the
> end of the day.

I've taken both phones back for testing and they said there was nothing
wrong with them. If you can stay in the Sprint network they both have great
battery life but if they have to search for a signal forget it. I found a
place in my house where I can set them when not in use and keep a signal and
the battery life seems to be better. I just wish I could get a better
signal in my house.

I read a while back Sprint was working on a small repeater for indoors. What
ever became of that?
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 6:08:34 PM

Who have the last Firmware Version 1.116SP?, I want to load it to my
phone by my self and a software to read/wright ESN and PRL.

Thanks in advance

--
turbojetjs
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t128246.html

"turbojetjs" <turbojetjs.1a66ky@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> Who have the last Firmware Version 1.116SP?, I want to load it to my
> phone by my self and a software to read/wright ESN and PRL.
>
> Thanks in advance

Well, you've got the ESN on your phone. Just flip off the battery and you
can see it ... twice. As for the firmware, that has to be loaded up at a
SPCS store and ONLY at a SPCS store. You can get the PRL updated there at
the same time, or you can get the update OTA (over the air). Current PRL is
10024.

For future reference, for your current phone and any future phone you might
get, check out this site as it shows the current versions on all SPCS
models.
http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p... .
Bookmark this page for future reference.

Bob
!