RAM upgrades

Serithax

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
Ok this has to be something simple and basic that I just haven't had to worry about before. I am currently trying to upgrade a small network of computers with 256 MB PC133 SDRAM cards that are currently using 128s and lower. Now I know some MBs can't handle 256+ and those are planned to get hand me down 128 cards from the ones that can.

Now the story begins with trying to get one of the 256 MB cards installed and working on one of the mainboards. It doesn't work and locks up (or stick infinitely) at the RAM counter on pre-Windows boot up. I played around with it and whatever I do its the same problem with the 256 MB card. I got another stick from another brand (thinking it may possibly be just a bad DOA batch) and same situation. I have upgraded one of the boards before and had no trouble with 128s being recognized immediately but the 256 is giving me a headache and all I can find that may be causing it is the CL which I see set at 3 which from what I read is a good number to get it working on (I'm leary about messing with CMOS and haven't yet but this is the current setting). What are possible causes and why would two totally different machines give the same problem with a 256 MB card?

I imagine this may be something simple I didn't hear about since my last memory upgrade but it is something I never came across before.

I can't recall the specs on the Intel setup but the other is an AMD T Bird on a Microstar MS-6191. And the RAM sticks tried are Simpletech and PNY 256MB SDRAM PC133 DIMMs

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
What boards are you using? Are they all the same make and model boards? If you don't know, what chipsets that each is using?

The 256MB modules might be too dense for the one chipset to read.

I guess we will find out in your next post.

The more info you supply the easier it is for us to help.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=28752#28752" target="_new">THGC meeting? Would you go if there was one?</A>

Serithax

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
One I can't recall but is an Intel based board from a EMachines package. The other is a Microstar MS-6191 using an AMD T-Bird 900. They have really little to do with each other so this is why I would think it has to do with something I'm missing in going from 128 MB cards to 256 MB cards or on a wild fluke I have two batchs of DOA memory from separate companies. I wouldn't think that the RAM market would be so sad but then there was a time that standard HDs arrived 6-9 out of 10 DOA. PNY and Simpletech aren't exactly the perfect example of high quality but its just too much of a coincidence for me to think both cards are dead and I can't think of anything else.

I will get more details on the other board but I'm testing it mostly on the Microstar board right now.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, well, it's cheaper for a company to use 4 high density chips than 8 or 16 lower density chips. As a result, a lot of memory is shipping that's too high density for nearly anything! My advice is to get your memory from Crucial, they still carry all the needed densities for everything down to the old VX chipset (which required SUPER low density). They have a memory selector system that uses your system to pick the exact memory match. Their prices are very low, and they offer FREE second day shipping. So getting your memory from any other source really doesn't make sense unless your an expert buyer.

I don't know of any boards newer than a Pentium 1 that didn't accept at least 256MB modules, except for some weird IBM systems where the BIOS was screwy. So using Crucial's memory selector should get you the memory you need.

In fact, if you have a lot of systems that need to be upgraded from 128MB to 256MB, you can buy only half as many chips as you have systems. Why? It's cheaper to buy 10 256MB modules than 5 128MB modules, you can pull the smaller modules from half of the systems and replace them with 256MB modules, then use all the 128's you just pulled in the other half of the systems. Pretty slick, and it makes the bean counters happy.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Serithax

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2003
So basically most new memory sticks don't work in but anything but those that can use high density? The two systems I've been working on aren't exactly old or outdated. One is just at 2 years old and the other is less than one year. As for the 256 vs lots of 128s that is what I'm working towards (would be about 8 128 cards otherwise). I'm going to work on it a little more since I am stuck with it for the weekend but if this is the issue I guess I'm going to have to pound it into the boss's head to not expect upgrades overnight with something picked up from Sam's.

BTW other than trying to examine architecture is there any way to find out density since the packaging says nothing about it and the company websites tend to say even less.