Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What do you think of Windows 7 Gaming

Last response: in Windows 7
June 14, 2012 3:40:22 AM

This is just where people can offer their thoughts and opinions on windows 7.

I also have a few questions for you guys.

1: Is windows 7 really the best for gaming?

2: Do you think windows 8 will be better than windows 7 for gaming?

3: Why do you like windows 7?

4: Why do people hate Vista?

5: Is XP dead?

6: Why do Gamers still stick with XP?

I have been using XP Pro x64 for a few years now and the latest games have been mainly optimized for vista and 7. And XP x64 is a very early version of x64 operating systems which has a few Compatibility and driver issues. Since Game companies are heading for directX 10 and 11 will this perhaps make XP obsolete for gamers? But what about Vista? When i upgraded from XP to Vista specifically for DX10 i noticed that i had a huge decrease in performance, even in DX9. People say that this is because of Vista's Aero Interface, I find this hard to believe considering windows 7 has an even more complex Aero interface and performs much better in an gaming enviroment.

I did some test's and got these result's.

Game, Crysis. Everything on ultra @ 1920x1200 DX9.

PC i ran the test's on had these specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel
XFX 780i 3-way SLI Nforce 4
XFX GTX 285 1GB GDDR3

XP Pro x64: 38 FPS Average
Vista Ultimate x64: 25 FPS Average
Win7 Ultimate x64: 35 FPS Average
Win8 Developer Preview x64: 42 FPS Average

I know the system im using for these test's isn't the best but you get the idea.

So clearly you can tell windows 8 is better, but will the final release be even better or worse?

More about : windows gaming

a b $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
June 14, 2012 3:57:32 AM

1. yes because it has the most compatibility with games and programs and has dx11 which xp cannot use
2. I don't know. so far it offers no special treatment for gaming as of yet.
3. TBH i like win xp due to its lightness, but win7 serves a gaming purpose.
4. Because vista has alot of services that most people didnt use, most of which was bloat ware and slowed computers down. the only advantage that vista gave of xp at the time was dx10, so games like halo: combat evolved was unplayable on xp till the modified file came out.
5. No people still use xp, theres no real point on moving to win7 unless you need something that win7 offers.
6. because they either dont have the funds as of right now to switch most likely, or they enjoy the games they have access to. XP is much less demanding on computer memory and hdd than win7 is. if you play dx9 games and below, theres no real reason to switch over to win7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
June 14, 2012 4:15:21 AM

Quote:

Windows 7 is great for games. It also allows more memory then XP did(16 gigs for the homer premium version vs 4[more often 3-3.5 usable] gigs for all 32 bit versions of xp.)

Quote:

Just cause 2 loads slower under 8, but plays fine. Performance seems similar.

Quote:

Windows 7 works very well for me:) 

Quote:

No clue to be honest I think too many OEMs sole Vista systems without sufficient memory. I got Vista for a system with 8 gigs of ram and NEVER had issues with the operating system it self. I found Vista was far better at using multiple cpu systems then XP.

Many users also confused Vista's program caching as wasted memory when it was all still available for use, just that the OS had pre loaded your most used apps into memory to give you a faster load(Windows 7 and 8 do this too). So it looked like ALL memory was in use, but it was not. Hell windows 8 is caching 11 gigs of stuff in memory as I type this.

I am also not going to lie, it took forever for video card makers to get caught up with new drivers(9 months with a 8800GTX that just did not work right, good thing my ati card worked to get me past this time. At first I blamed Vista too, but clearly it was not). so you could have had lots of crashing if you adopted to early.

Quote:

yes and no. MS does not support it with the latest versions of IE and will slowly support it less and less, but many XP computers are still in service(my old lappy has XP and that it what it will have till the day it catches fire).

Quote:

Early on XP showed slightly better performance in games. This makes sense as an older OS uses less resources. Some games just did not like Vista

Quote:
So clearly you can tell windows 8 is better, but will the final release be even better or worse?"

The final Windows 8 should be the same or better. I hope better Windows 8 still has some minor bugs.

I did not notice any large FPS drops(certainly not 10fps) with Vista, but Aero may have been less optimized, but you can always shut it off to test.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 5:49:05 AM

Quote:

yes, win7 got optimized DX, and got DX11, and has more advanced options of controlling the windows more than XP whiich is good for gaming.

Quote:

M$ changed most of the file systems to better, and thats good for performance and might effects gaming under it, and also i've checked benchmarks and test and the results was games got better fps and games got worse in fps and that ofc that also depends on game engine how to deal with the OS, besides win8 still under development and updates and might get better.

Quote:

mostly for DX11 and Aero theme :p , and its massive support from other companies since its beta release, win7 is just an upgraded and modified vista.

Quote:

to be honest i didnt hate vista, i was so excited about it since the beta, because of the tons of new things that xp didnt have, they put lot of new services and windows became more advanced, and all that needed more rams and a faster pc and software companies (drivers mostly) needed time to support it and thats why ppl hated it.

Quote:

its not dead yet, but it is dying, M$ has its end support for their products as shown here for xp, and game companies started to work massively on DX11, and more than 20% of xp users switched to win7 cause of DX11 and 50% switched cause of performance and new OS, and i can say also next year or soon with new consoles that support DX11 game companies will focus on updating graphics and put new techs and that effects on PC gaming which is a good effect since windows vista/7/8 has the common thing which is the DX11.

Quote:

that question got lot of answers, i can specify with depends on gamers budget and comfortably with using new OS, and fear of facing problems.
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:23:56 AM

You guys have all given me some good answers. dudewitbow gave me a good answer on the windows 8 side of things.

Thanks for your opinions
m
l
June 14, 2012 9:28:29 AM

wonder44 said:
I have been using XP Pro x64 for a few years now and the latest games have been mainly optimized for vista and 7. And XP x64 is a very early version of x64 operating systems which has a few Compatibility and driver issues.

PC i ran the test's on had these specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel
XFX 780i 3-way SLI Nforce 4
XFX GTX 285 1GB GDDR3

XP Pro x64: 38 FPS Average
Vista Ultimate x64: 25 FPS Average
Win7 Ultimate x64: 35 FPS Average
Win8 Developer Preview x64: 42 FPS Average

nukemaster said:
Quote:

Windows 7 is great for games. It also allows more memory then XP did(16 gigs for the homer premium version vs 4[more often 3-3.5 usable] gigs for all 32 bit versions of xp.)

Where do you see 32-bit mentioned? 64-bit is explicitly stated. So 16GB vs 4GB RAM is no issue. Besides, there are not many games with 64-bit binaries, so more than 4GB (ok....maybe 8GB with caching) has no benefits.

And I keep stating: 4GB for 32-bit Windows is SW limitation. The CPUs can access up to 64GB in 32-bit mode since 1995 (see PAE, which is optional for 32-bit and required for 64-bit). 4GB is a 32-bit app limitation for other reasons, unrelated to physical RAM.
m
l
June 14, 2012 11:35:06 AM

Posting from Windows Vista here. First of all, dunno why you got such a slowdown using vista in your benches, that shouldnt happen. If you google for more benches youll see its pretty much the same as the others ;)  Ive tried windows xp, vista and seven on this very machine, to check the difference in applications. Im part of Msft MSDNAA program so i have access to all their OSes freely. (Windows 8 is "install - see if its still crap - corroborate expectations - remove")

Back to subject, after much testing i saw the fps difference in games among the three is minimal to nonexistent. I tested FarCry, Crysis, Half life 2, MW4, Fallout 3 and a couple other, mainly comparing Vista and 7. Especially for newer games, which are more taxing, there's no practical difference. So I can only see DirectX support as the deal braker for games, XP for DX9, Vista for DX10, and 7 for DX11. My pc has an i3-2100 and 8gb ram, though an old 9800gt - which is DX10 for which Vista had all the support I needed. I prefer the looks of Vista, and after a big "why not?" i went for it.

I think which of these OSes you choose for gaming is not gonna matter much in terms of performance, but it will in terms of support for newer features such as DX10-11. Thats it! So..

Quote:

I think it is: Latest technologies, good OS resource optimization.

Quote:

They say it will eat up less RAM. But even a half a gb difference, going up or down on consumption, wouldnt really matter if you have 4gb+ on your system. So the answer is no, it will probably be very much the same as 7.

Quote:

You're implying everybody likes 7 there. But i do, so I wont complain ;)  There is one very notorious improvement on 7 that i miss sometimes, and I have to say it, Windows 7 is best for Multitasking. I remember the many years ago when on Win98 you would copy a 200mb file to some place on the disk, then try to open anything else and the PC would just freeze completely until the transfer is done. If not crashing the whole OS lol. Then on XP, you could keep working while doing CPU-Disk intensive workloads in parallel but the interface and programs would still annoyingly slow down and maybe 'stutter' when doing so. Vista was a massive improvement over XP on multitasking, it feels light and fast whenever doing transfers, watching hd videos, browsing the net, etc simultaneously. BUT, its still not perfect and ocasionally slows down when doing very intensive workloads. On windows 7, that never happens. You can do 50 things at a time and the OS always seems light and responsive, which is one of the reasons Its better than any other :) 

Quote:

The other posts have answered that question. Its a great OS, very similar to Win7, consumes slightly more ram but i personally think it looks great.

Quote:

Around a third of internet users have XP, so no its not dead at all...

Quote:

There could be a variety of reasons. Some may not afford the upgrade, others may have a DX9-only videocard so they "dont need" to upgrade. Windows 7 has been growing very fast, and is now the worlds 1st OS in terms of usage share, so i think its more the people who are upgrading than those who prefer not to.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
June 14, 2012 2:09:04 PM

mathew7 said:
Where do you see 32-bit mentioned? 64-bit is explicitly stated. So 16GB vs 4GB RAM is no issue. Besides, there are not many games with 64-bit binaries, so more than 4GB (ok....maybe 8GB with caching) has no benefits.

And I keep stating: 4GB for 32-bit Windows is SW limitation. The CPUs can access up to 64GB in 32-bit mode since 1995 (see PAE, which is optional for 32-bit and required for 64-bit). 4GB is a 32-bit app limitation for other reasons, unrelated to physical RAM.

64 bit XP had worse driver support for one thing(got to see this in person).
If you NEVER multitask or do anything but use the computer to game then yes 4 gigs is plenty.

Its a shame most games don't support 64 bit(it requires more work with more 32 bit users, so they do not bother).

The 4 gig limit is a part of the OS, whats your point. MS limits the home premium version of 7 to 16 gigs as well. It was a simple fact that XP with out its 64 bit version(that was a last ditch effort when compared to Vista/7/8) had support for less memory.

Why did you quote unrelated parts of a post again?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 14, 2012 4:00:08 PM

Quote:

Well that's debatable depending on your needs and the games you play. The main hype that surrounded Windows 7 gaming wise was DX11, as it had updated feature sets that could be implemented in games such as tessellation and multi-threaded rendering. Whether or not these features are useful depends on who you talk to.

Quote:

I have not tried Windows 8 so i can not fully say (i would try it if i had a system other then my personal/gaming rig to install it on), overall i don't think we will see an imporvement in gaming performance under Windows 8, or at least not by much.
Quote:

GUI is a lot better designed then XP was imo, though granted overall i switched from XP to 7 simply because of DX11 features and i just like trying new OS's.

Quote:

I've heard a bunch of different reasons such as high resource usage and an overemphesis on security. I myself have not tried Vista (went from XP to 7). Though i do think that a lot of the hate comes from other people hating it, so i think that most people simply hate it because of what they heard while they themselves have not actually done the comparisions with XP or any other OS's at that. I personally do not hate Vista, as i have no real reason to considering i have not tried it myself. But it doesn't look as bad as people say.

Quote:

That depends, the usefulness of something is determined by the user. There are still tons of people using XP because they have no incentive to switch. Why would you switch to 7 if all you do is check email and type word documents? So overall it's not dead because it still accounts for a large chunk of OS market share, though it's going down. Offically Microsoft will end XP support in 2014, so it is on it's way out in terms of support.

The reason why a lot of people have stuck and in some cases still stick with XP is legacy software and hardware support, XP still nativley supports software that some people find useful and may not be able to get it working under compatiblity mode under Windows 7 or Vista.
Quote:

If you are not after DX11 there is no real reasonto change from XP. Though granted eveutally games will stop supporting XP(especailly ones XP's market share takes a dive) and then it will be a natural thing for most to just buy/build a system with whatever OS's are out at the time.
June 19, 2012 1:20:29 PM

Best answer selected by wonder44.
m
l
!