Another "Day the Music Died"

"We're in the business of trying to create a larger audience and have
more people join our station." said Sharon Percy Rockifeller,
president and CEO of WETA, the Washington DC area's only
non-commercial radio station that programs classicial music.

Beginning February 28, the fifteen hours of weekday classical music
programming will be dropped in favor of round-the-clock news,
analysis, and interview programs.

I thought that the purpose of public radio was to serve the needs and
tastes of those not offered by other radio stations. I guess not. It
appears it's to take in more money, just like commercial stations.

I'm not that rabid a fan of classical music, but I listened to WETA
during the day (and even made my donations), but I'll have to find
some other form of background entertainment (and someplace else to put
my support dollars). I'm turning to the Internet more and more for
stations that offer other than top-40 and talk. Good thing I finally
got a DSL connection here.

Anyone got suggestions for on-net alternate programming? I have
bookmarks for WWOZ, KBCS, and KEXP. WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find it
fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.

More about another music died

    > I'm not that rabid a fan of classical music, but I listened to WETA
    > during the day (and even made my donations), but I'll have to find
    > some other form of background entertainment (and someplace else to put
    > my support dollars). I'm turning to the Internet more and more for
    > stations that offer other than top-40 and talk. Good thing I finally
    > got a DSL connection here.
    >
    > Anyone got suggestions for on-net alternate programming? I have
    > bookmarks for WWOZ, KBCS, and KEXP. WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
    > the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find it
    > fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.

    The station on which I do a program has extremely eclectic programming,
    ranging from shred-rock to reggae to Eastern European folk music to jazz
    vocals to bluegrass to Brazilian to blues (lots) to Cajun/Zydeco to the
    hard-core folk show I do. (No classical at the moment.) Every show is hosted
    by someone who knows and loves the music, and learned how to do radio,
    rather than someone who knows radio and is trying to learn the music. Some
    of the programs will drive your finger to the tuning button at warp speed,
    some will fascinate and delight, and everyone will have a different choice.
    Regular streaming is at www.kdhx.org ; we have high-quality streaming
    available, too, but it costs a few bucks. Check out the program schedule at
    the website and see if there's something that attracts. I recommend "Music
    from the Hills" and, of course, my own program, "No Time to Tarry Here", but
    there's an awful lot there. All program listings are Central Time (GMT -6 in
    the winter, GMT -5 in the summer).

    Peace,
    Paul

    Paul Stamler wrote:

    > www.kdhx.org

    Thanks!

    Paul Stamler wrote:
    > "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm not that rabid a fan of classical music, but I listened to WETA
    >>during the day (and even made my donations), but I'll have to find
    >>some other form of background entertainment (and someplace else to put
    >>my support dollars). I'm turning to the Internet more and more for
    >>stations that offer other than top-40 and talk. Good thing I finally
    >>got a DSL connection here.
    >>
    >>Anyone got suggestions for on-net alternate programming? I have
    >>bookmarks for WWOZ, KBCS, and KEXP. WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
    >>the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find it
    >>fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.
    >

    > The station on which I do a program has extremely eclectic programming,
    > ranging from shred-rock to reggae to Eastern European folk music to jazz
    > vocals to bluegrass to Brazilian to blues (lots) to Cajun/Zydeco to the
    > hard-core folk show I do. (No classical at the moment.) Every show is hosted
    > by someone who knows and loves the music, and learned how to do radio,
    > rather than someone who knows radio and is trying to learn the music. Some
    > of the programs will drive your finger to the tuning button at warp speed,
    > some will fascinate and delight, and everyone will have a different choice.
    > Regular streaming is at www.kdhx.org ; we have high-quality streaming
    > available, too, but it costs a few bucks. Check out the program schedule at
    > the website and see if there's something that attracts. I recommend "Music
    > from the Hills" and, of course, my own program, "No Time to Tarry Here", but
    > there's an awful lot there. All program listings are Central Time (GMT -6 in
    > the winter, GMT -5 in the summer).
    >
    > Peace,
    > Paul

    Hello,
    well if it's any comfort, here in The Netherlands it has unfortunatelly
    been the same lately. A far cry from the huge choice of everything,
    including pirate stations broadcasting freely only some 2 years ago.
    Fortunatelly, broadband has been around for some years now in Amsterdam
    and many people have switched to listening online and giving donations
    to whatever station they see as their personal favorite, regardless of
    location. Sure, people have still been forced to listen to the radio in
    cars, but with the boom of the ever-present mp3 players, more and more
    people choose to "program" for themselves. Me being an optimist, and
    people becoming ever more individually-minded, I think the people's
    preference will prevail over what is being shoved down our throaths by
    the commercial conglomerates. Not that they will stop trying but hey,
    would it be so sweet if you didn't have to dig for it a little.
    Cheers.

    Mike Rivers wrote:

    > Anyone got suggestions for on-net alternate programming? I have
    > bookmarks for WWOZ, KBCS, and KEXP. WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
    > the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find it
    > fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.

    There's an exhaustive list of online feeds and related links at this site:

    http://www.janecek.com/bitcasters.html

    --Paul

    Radio Paradise is an outstanding eclectic rock/pop/worldbeat station.
    Maybe a little too eclectic, but a great place to go to get a good
    sampling of a broad range of genres. Check it out at
    www.radioparadise.org.

    For classical, try colorado public radio at www.cpr.org or Baltimore's
    WBJC at www.wbjc.com.

    For jazz, North Texas university's radio station, KNTU, is outstanding.
    They are at www.kntu.org. Just be aware that they do broadcast
    university sporting events from time to time and "black out" one or two
    of their shows due to legal issues.

    > "We're in the business of trying to create a larger audience and have
    > more people join our station." said Sharon Percy Rockifeller,
    > president and CEO of WETA,

    I sure hope people start waking up pretty soon!

    We've got ourselves a BIG music problem and it's affecting all genres.
    Everybody loves to put their own spin on the details but the fact is that
    music broadcast programming, live music performances, high quality recorded
    music and the professional recording of music are all rapidly going away
    because people are not finding music to be compelling entertainment. People
    are obviously having more fun jeering at Ashlee Simpson than from hearing
    great music. What's wrong with this picture?

    Hello????

    --
    Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
    615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

    Bob Olhsson wrote:

    > We've got ourselves a BIG music problem and it's affecting all genres.
    > Everybody loves to put their own spin on the details but the fact is that
    > music broadcast programming, live music performances, high quality recorded
    > music and the professional recording of music are all rapidly going away
    > because people are not finding music to be compelling entertainment. People
    > are obviously having more fun jeering at Ashlee Simpson than from hearing
    > great music. What's wrong with this picture?

    Maybe the industry itself, as a concept, is the biggest problem. Yeah,
    we've hae some fun and some success in pro aduio recording for folks.
    OTOH once upon a time nearly everybody played music _themselves_,
    instead of feeling incapable of that, having been convinced by marketing
    engines that only a chosen few can play music. Maybe a return to that
    would be a good thing.

    --
    ha

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:51:56 GMT, walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
    wrote:

    >Bob Olhsson wrote:
    >
    >> We've got ourselves a BIG music problem and it's affecting all genres.
    >> Everybody loves to put their own spin on the details but the fact is that
    >> music broadcast programming, live music performances, high quality recorded
    >> music and the professional recording of music are all rapidly going away
    >> because people are not finding music to be compelling entertainment. People
    >> are obviously having more fun jeering at Ashlee Simpson than from hearing
    >> great music. What's wrong with this picture?
    >
    >Maybe the industry itself, as a concept, is the biggest problem. Yeah,
    >we've hae some fun and some success in pro aduio recording for folks.
    >OTOH once upon a time nearly everybody played music _themselves_,
    >instead of feeling incapable of that, having been convinced by marketing
    >engines that only a chosen few can play music. Maybe a return to that
    >would be a good thing.

    Yep... there was a time when just about every house had a fiddle, or a
    piano, or a banjo in it, or at least your neighbor's house had someone
    who could play and owned an instrument. There was a time when people
    used to get together just to sing harmony. The music "industry" has
    now become such a monster, that I think it's going to take sometime if
    we ever return to those days. Probably a bigger culprit than the
    music biz is the advent of radio and television, which turned people
    into passive absorbers of entertainment, most folks having now
    forgotten how to amuse themselves without a TV or a computer game.

    Al

    Mike Rivers wrote:

    > Anyone got suggestions for on-net alternate programming? I have
    > bookmarks for WWOZ, KBCS, and KEXP. WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
    > the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find it
    > fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.

    My own stations is so much like Paul Stamler's that I could just swipe
    his description directly. But I won't bother - you already have a good
    idea of what I play, and the rest of the WRUW schedule is just
    unbelievably varied. Bluegrass is on Mondays from 5-7PM.

    As far as bluegrass is concerned, I've been playing a couple of new
    releases regularly that are worth checking out:

    1) The Dry Branch Fire Squad live at the Newburyport Firehouse, a very
    enjoyable 2-CD set from Rounder (and produced by Ken Irwin) that
    features both some great songs and Ron Thomason's spoken introductions.
    He can be _very_ entertaining.

    2) Bill Monroe live at Mechanics Hall, a 1963 recording on David
    Grisman's Acoustic Disc label. The band featured Del McCoury and Bill
    Keith among others.

    And getting away from Bluegrass, I'm also very taken with a new CD by
    "The Duhks" (pronounced Ducks) on Sugar Hill. Quite eclectic, but
    probably too contemporary for you.

    But as for a on-net suggestion, my friend Jim Blum at WKSU has a 24x7
    feed of folk music at FolkAlley.com. It's done well and covers a lot of
    ground. I suggest that you check it out. You might even occasionally
    hear one of my recordings.

    http://www.folkalley.com/

    You can also hear his regular radio show on WKSU. It's streaming here
    as I write this - he's on every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening.

    http://www.wksu.org/folk/

    I note that he already has playlists posted for tonight, tomorrow, and
    Sunday. Here's what's on during the current hour:

    11:00 PM / Cheryl Wheeler: Gandhi/Buddha
    feeling lucky / Diffrent Stripe / Cheryl Wheeler / Philo 116711

    11:03 PM / Maura O'Connell: If You Love Me
    Just In Time / Rounder 1124

    11:07 PM / Pat Donohue: Love and Desire
    Backroads / Adrienne Young/Mark Sanders / Bluesky 926

    11:12 PM / Red Clay Ramblers: The Cat Came Back
    old timey / LIVE / Traditional

    11:16 PM / Chris Hillman(w/Tony Rice): So Begins The Task
    FILE UNDER RICE! / Out of the Woodwork / Rounder 390

    11:18 PM / Chip Taylor,Carrie Rodriguez: Sweet Tequila Blues
    duet / Let's Leave This Town / Chip Taylor / Trainwreck 4009

    11:22 PM / Herdman/Hills/Mangsen: Silken Dreams
    Voices / FlyingFish 70546

    11:27 PM / Bill Whelan: Mystic Seacliffs
    The Roots of Riverdance / Jeff Hanna/ Marcuss Hummon / Universal 53106

    11:29 PM / Kate & Anna McGarrigle: Come a Long Way
    can't see flowers... / Dancer With Bruised Knees / Kate McGarrigle /
    Hannibal 4402

    11:33 PM / Richard Shindell: So Says The Whipporwill
    Vuelta / Richard Shindell / KOCH 9538

    11:38 PM / Julie Hoest: On the Other Side
    Where I'm Standing / Resounding 322

    11:42 PM / Leo Kottke-Guitar: I Yell at Traffic
    Regards from Chuck Pink / Privatemus 2025

    11:46 PM / Patty Griffin: Rain (Live)
    A Kiss In Time / Patty Griffin / ATO

    11:51 PM / David Francey: Wanna Be Loved
    Kieran Kane,Banjo / The Waking Hour / David Francey / REDHOUSE 182

    11:54 PM / The Duhks: The Dregs of Birch
    then..full band! / The Duhks / Traditional / Sugar Hill 3997

    I you like the authentic old-time country blues (I do), this is a
    great streaming audio site: http://weeniecampbell.com/juke/

    http://weeniecampbell.com has lots of discussion for blues fanatics
    but I mainly appreciate the music they play

    Al

    Mike Rivers wrote:
    > "We're in the business of trying to create a larger audience and have
    > more people join our station." said Sharon Percy Rockifeller,
    > president and CEO of WETA, the Washington DC area's only
    > non-commercial radio station that programs classicial music.
    >
    > Beginning February 28, the fifteen hours of weekday classical music
    > programming will be dropped in favor of round-the-clock news,
    > analysis, and interview programs.
    >
    > I thought that the purpose of public radio was to serve the needs and
    > tastes of those not offered by other radio stations. I guess not. It
    > appears it's to take in more money, just like commercial stations.
    >
    > I'm not that rabid a fan of classical music, but I listened to WETA
    > during the day (and even made my donations), but I'll have to find
    > some other form of background entertainment (and someplace else to put
    > my support dollars). I'm turning to the Internet more and more for
    > stations that offer other than top-40 and talk. Good thing I finally
    > got a DSL connection here.
    >
    > Anyone got suggestions for on-net alternate programming? I have
    > bookmarks for WWOZ, KBCS, and KEXP. WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
    > the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find it
    > fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.

    www.wwhp.com
    Playing the best in blues, bluegrass, alternative
    and traditional country, rock, gospel and American Roots music

    a guy near my home town started this station up in his house a few years
    back. a great radio station with a wide ranging playlist

    www.wdav.org - classical programming

    www.wncw.org - American and World music

    Mike Rivers wrote:
    > Anyone got suggestions for on-net alternate programming? I have
    > bookmarks for WWOZ, KBCS, and KEXP. WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
    > the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find it
    > fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.

    KPFA from UC Berkeley is definitely "alternate programming". :-)
    They have a fair amount of news stuff, so if you want music, you have
    to pick and choose when to listen. But they have a weekly schedule,
    and an archive section ( http://www.kpfa.org/archives/music/ ) of the
    music programs, so you can check out programs and see if you'll like
    them without having to tune in at the particular time.

    KCSM 91.1 FM (from the College of San Mateo) is a pretty good Jazz
    station. They used to have a 2-hour weekly program hosted by the
    late Al "Jazzbo" Collins (I was a big fan). They have a list of
    what they've recently played at http://www.jazzlist.org/ . Be
    forewarned that they are in the middle of a pledge drive right now...

    I've listened to KKJZ (California State University, Long Beach) a
    bit too, and they're not bad ( http://www.jazzandblues.org/listen/ ).

    - Logan

    yes the corporation for public broadcasting has forced our npr
    affiliate ( WOUB ) to discontinue it's jazz and classical programming
    because the "market share" was not enough to warrant the finical
    assistance. sounds like comcast to me, market share = lowest common
    denominator, maybe it's the start of liberal talk radio but it is all
    just BS on the airwaves.

    Itunes has a good radio election.
    WUMB.....

    dale

    In article <znr1108137194k@trad>, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
    wrote:

    > "We're in the business of trying to create a larger audience and have
    > more people join our station." said Sharon Percy Rockifeller,
    > president and CEO of WETA, the Washington DC area's only
    > non-commercial radio station that programs classicial music.
    >
    > Beginning February 28, the fifteen hours of weekday classical music
    > programming will be dropped in favor of round-the-clock news,
    > analysis, and interview programs.
    >
    > I thought that the purpose of public radio was to serve the needs and
    > tastes of those not offered by other radio stations. I guess not. It
    > appears it's to take in more money, just like commercial stations.
    >
    > Anyone got suggestions for on-net alternate programming? I have
    > bookmarks for WWOZ, KBCS, and KEXP. WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
    > the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find it
    > fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.

    Mike, like you, I am not a huge classical fan. But I do occasionally
    find myself dialing into WETA when I am on the road. Classical can
    be calming when you're stuck in DC traffic.

    My radio is programmed for WTMD, Towson Universty most of the time.
    They stream at: http://www.wtmd.org

    Don't have anything here except a vote of support for internet radio.
    Yahoo news has recently implemented these Associated Press one-minute
    AVI clips. Freakin' brilliant. I can log onto Yahoo and get the same
    major news as the networks in 5 minutes rather than 60.

    Similarly, I look forward to internet radio giving us "all killer, no
    filler" as that environment develops.

    In article <j8dPd.43564$uA.31278@fe1.texas.rr.com> lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com writes:

    > KPFA from UC Berkeley is definitely "alternate programming". :-)

    We have a Pacifica station here in DC, WPFW, which has similar
    programming. I listen to them sometimes (when they aren't talking).
    With exception of an hour of blues at noon weekdays and some oddball
    stuff on weekends, it's pretty much wailing saxophone jazz. OK for a
    while.

    > KCSM 91.1 FM (from the College of San Mateo) is a pretty good Jazz
    > station.

    > I've listened to KKJZ (California State University, Long Beach) a
    > bit too, and they're not bad ( http://www.jazzandblues.org/listen/ ).

    I've listened to those on the car radio when I've been in the area.
    KKJZ (I still can't remember not to call it KLON, which I think still
    has a working link) is usually listenable just about any time. Thanks
    for the reminder. Not quite "smooth jazz" but rarely annoying like
    enough of the music on WPFW to notice.

    On 11 Feb 2005 12:53:42 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
    wrote:

    >Anyone got suggestions for on-net alternate programming? I have
    >bookmarks for WWOZ, KBCS, and KEXP. WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
    >the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find it
    >fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.

    My local NPR station here in Athens has good solid stretches of
    classical music, and web streaming broadcast.

    www.wuga.org

    They've also got some very good jazz programs on Friday night.

    jtougas

    listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
    let's go

    e.e. cummings

    Ann Arbor Alive
    < http://annarboralive.com/A3Radio/indexNET.shtml >

    dale

    Try www.wfmu.org. It's freeform radio from Jersy City, NJ, and they
    stream on the web 24x7. You might find something you like there,
    although you probably won't find the non-stop classical music. Here's
    a link to their current schedule:

    http://www.wfmu.org/table

    Angelo

    Mike Rivers wrote:
    > WAMU's Bluegrass Country (round
    > the clock bluegrass) has their heart in the right place, but I find
    it
    > fatiguing to listen to for more than a couple of hours at a stretch.

    The two or three times I went to a weekend long bluegrass festival, by
    the time I got back all I wanted to do was crank Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.

    Would it be impolite for me to observe that Beethoven and Mozart might
    not necessarily be proud of being deemed worthy of the "background"?

    That said, I essentially agree with you. PBS is supposed to provide
    "alternative" programming.

    But up here in Canada, I thank God every day for the CBC.

    Bill Van Dyk <trashtrash@christian-horizons.org> wrote:
    >Would it be impolite for me to observe that Beethoven and Mozart might
    >not necessarily be proud of being deemed worthy of the "background"?

    Perhaps, but Erik Satie would be delighted!
    --scott

    While I agree with Hank in principle, people no longer have the constraint
    of options on musical entertainment that he and I grew up on. Today's world
    presents Acid for loops, loops for Acid, people with no real musical talent
    or arrangement abilities, and this is today's music for the home. Where I
    grew up with Brenda Lee stopping by for a night of jams with Roy Clark,
    Donnie Hammond, Jimmy Dean, et al., today's stop by is a CD of jams made on
    a computer, mixed via headphones or computer speakers, and without the
    requirement for anyone having learned how to tune a guitar, much less
    actually play one. And a piano in the home is a piece of furniture for most
    families.

    Sad to think about all the good musicians who will have no means to support
    themselves, which will promote more "music" that has no basis on a musical
    background. Some even marvel at this or that program that will make "music"
    for them via their computer. I realize it takes a lifetime to master a
    musical instrument, but at least we could hope people will continue to try.
    I finally got to the point where Rap music was becoming acceptable because
    it started incorporating live musicians. Seems that about the only two
    genres of music that are still making real money out there are Rap and
    Christian.

    But the pendulum always swings back and forth, so at some point it will hit
    the max point and start back again. Just as long as we don't have to go
    through big hair heavy metal again! <g>

    --

    Roger W. Norman
    SirMusic Studio

    "Bob Olhsson" <olh@hyperback.com> wrote in message
    > "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "We're in the business of trying to create a larger audience and have
    > > more people join our station." said Sharon Percy Rockifeller,
    > > president and CEO of WETA,
    >
    > I sure hope people start waking up pretty soon!
    >
    > We've got ourselves a BIG music problem and it's affecting all genres.
    > Everybody loves to put their own spin on the details but the fact is that
    > music broadcast programming, live music performances, high quality
    recorded
    > music and the professional recording of music are all rapidly going away
    > because people are not finding music to be compelling entertainment.
    People
    > are obviously having more fun jeering at Ashlee Simpson than from hearing
    > great music. What's wrong with this picture?
    >
    > Hello????
    >
    > --
    > Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
    > Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control
    > Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined!
    > 615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Pro Audio Music Audio