Sign in with
Your question

Help setting up Static IP...

Last response: in Windows 7
June 14, 2012 5:07:56 AM

Hi, im trying to set up static Ip adress in windows 7 ultimate. I am using billion 7800N router, and followed this guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ri2LGbeWI4&list=HL13396...

---I set my static ip of DHCP in router page to 192.168.1.100 for my PC. I put those settings into my adapter properties in network and sharing, but when I save it just says it's
an unidentified network, and i can't access the internet. I really want a static IP for BF3/D3 etc.

thanks any help appreciated

More about : setting static

a b $ Windows 7
June 14, 2012 5:19:54 AM

you could leave your computer set to obtain ip address automatically. then go into your router's configuration page and choose a specific IP address to always give your computer.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 14, 2012 7:52:59 PM

constepatdyak said:
---I set my static ip of DHCP in router page to 192.168.1.100 for my PC. I put those settings into my adapter properties in network and sharing, but when I save it just says it's
an unidentified network, and i can't access the internet. I really want a static IP for BF3/D3 etc.
In DHCP D stands for Dynamic (-not Static) Host Configuration Protocol and deals with dynamic IP addresses.
What you did when set DHCP = 192.168.1.100 in your router is that you set the beginning IP address for all dynamic IPs to that number
and so on.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 14, 2012 7:57:30 PM

constepatdyak said:
I really want a static IP for BF3/D3 etc.
A true Static IP would be your external IP address,
To get one of those you work with your ISP provider who will assign one for you.
That service will cost extra through. Frequently the static IP addresses are part of a business class internet plan.
m
l
June 14, 2012 8:07:16 PM

WR2 is correct. The only way to get a static ip address is to have this configured by your service provider. Once this is done you will be able to configure windows 7 but in the mean time it should be set to auto. Often static IPs are priced higher because it reduces the number of IPs they can randomly assign. Fortunately my ISP does not charge a premium for this.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 14, 2012 8:15:39 PM

My ISP currently charges an extra $15 a month for a static IP address. That's still less expensive add-on than the least expensive business plan with a static IP.

Back in the 'old days' almost anyone could ask for, and get, a free static IP.
I had one for years until the policy changed, and even then I had mine for an extra 2 years before they wanted to start charging me.
m
l
!