Recommend an audio interface w/o preamps or phantom

Last response: in Home Audio
February 11, 2005 2:09:34 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my Delta 66 so I can record at least 8 analog
channels in. I considered the 1010, but since I already have an RNP, Edirol
UA-5 and a 1604, i've got PLENTY of mic pre and phantom power options so I
don't need anything fancy, just good ADC/DAC interface with 8+ analod
ins/outs, i don't even care so much about digital (again, the UA-5 does
digital). What do you all recommend? Thanks!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 8:26:25 PM

"Jonny Durango" <jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote in
message news:45adnX3zQ76ZjJDfRVn-jQ@comcast.com
> I'm looking to upgrade my Delta 66 so I can record at least 8 analog
> channels in. I considered the 1010, but since I already have an RNP,
> Edirol UA-5 and a 1604, i've got PLENTY of mic pre and phantom power
> options so I don't need anything fancy, just good ADC/DAC interface
> with 8+ analod ins/outs, i don't even care so much about digital
> (again, the UA-5 does digital). What do you all recommend? Thanks!

The Delta 1010 has only line inputs and line outputs. You'd still need your
existing mic preamps with it.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 11:26:57 PM

Hmmm...the Delta 1010 (at least the one I have) doesn't have
mic preamps or phantom power. Not fancy, but has eight
pretty decent A/D/A, balanced I/O channels and S/PDIF.

If you considered it, what convinced you it wouldn't work
for you? At the prices you can find them (and given that
your workstation can support them), you can load up on 16 or
24 channels worth relatively inexpensively.

TM

Jonny Durango wrote:

> I'm looking to upgrade my Delta 66 so I can record at least 8 analog
> channels in. I considered the 1010, but since I already have an RNP, Edirol
> UA-5 and a 1604, i've got PLENTY of mic pre and phantom power options so I
> don't need anything fancy, just good ADC/DAC interface with 8+ analod
> ins/outs, i don't even care so much about digital (again, the UA-5 does
> digital). What do you all recommend?
February 12, 2005 10:56:22 AM

In article <QNudnZ0CnamQrJDfRVn-2g@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:

> The Delta 1010 has only line inputs and line outputs. You'd still need your
> existing mic preamps with it.

I suspect that he thinks that any female XLR connector is a mic
preamp.

February 12, 2005 11:33:17 AM

> I suspect that he thinks that any female XLR connector is a mic
> preamp.

hey I dont stereotype all females as just some "piece of equipment" to "turn
up my volume"......anyway, it was a simple case of confusion with the 1010LT

http://www.adkproaudio.com/maudio.cfm

"Delta 1010-LT:10 in /10 out 24bit 96kHz audio card with mic preamps,digital
i/o,MIDI i/o and more."

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Midiman%20Delta%201010-LT%2...
20Mic%20Preamps,digital%20I%2FO%20and%20MIDI%20I%2FO%20Sound%20Card:19908062
09

"including: eight analog inputs and outputs, including 2 XLR microphone
inputs with pre amps"

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

> In article <QNudnZ0CnamQrJDfRVn-2g@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com writes:
>
> > The Delta 1010 has only line inputs and line outputs. You'd still need
your
> > existing mic preamps with it.
>
> I suspect that he thinks that any female XLR connector is a mic
> preamp.

February 12, 2005 2:26:38 PM

the Emu 1820m sounds *amazing" and fits your basic desription. best
buy in audio land, period. The same top 192khz converters as in
Digidesign's top boxes. Completely excellent impementation.

Don't cheap out and get the 1820. get the 1820m.

Run, don't walk to the store.

Change out the mobo on your computer if needed. It's that good, and
that worth it.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 5:22:54 PM

> In article <QNudnZ0CnamQrJDfRVn-2g@comcast.com> arnyk@hotpop.com
> writes:
>
>> The Delta 1010 has only line inputs and line outputs. You'd still
>> need your existing mic preamps with it.
>
> I suspect that he thinks that any female XLR connector is a mic
> preamp.

Could be, but he's safe on that count with a Delta 1010. Its analog I/O is
wall-to-wall TRS.

You're probably thinking about your Lynx Cards which use XLR for line I/O.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 5:25:04 PM

"Jonny Durango" <jonnybush_from_officedurango1@comcast.net> wrote in
message news:vIadnZ6V5-TTo5PfRVn-3Q@comcast.com
>> I suspect that he thinks that any female XLR connector is a mic
>> preamp.
>
> hey I dont stereotype all females as just some "piece of equipment"
> to "turn up my volume"......anyway, it was a simple case of confusion
> with the 1010LT
>
> http://www.adkproaudio.com/maudio.cfm
>
> "Delta 1010-LT:10 in /10 out 24bit 96kHz audio card with mic
> preamps,digital i/o,MIDI i/o and more."

Right, I have one of each. The 1010LT has female RCA jack analog I/O except
for the line inputs for channel 1 & 2. They are Female XLRs. No phantom
voltage is provided, but there are jumpers on the card for setting their
gain.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 9:57:00 PM

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote in news:1108236398.408058.135410
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> the Emu 1820m sounds *amazing" and fits your basic desription. best
> buy in audio land, period. The same top 192khz converters as in
> Digidesign's top boxes. Completely excellent impementation.
>
> Don't cheap out and get the 1820. get the 1820m.
>
> Run, don't walk to the store.
>
> Change out the mobo on your computer if needed. It's that good, and
> that worth it.

No discernible difference from his Delta 66...except
all the incompatibilities with chipsets and sequencing
software.
Glad you like your card anyway.
Just another (contrary) opinion on the EMU card.
!