Sign in with
Your question

Review: Tungsten|T3 by NON-power user

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:38:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi All,

I have to start by saying that I am not a power-user. I use ActionNames, Smartlist-to-Go, Documents-to-Go and QuickOffice.

On Tuesday, my Tungsten|T wouldn't turn on, then it wouldn't turn off. The power button had been flaky for about a week or so. I
always get the replacement warranty, so I went to CompUSA to exchange it. I backed up the machine to SD card twice. All they had
was an open-box Tungsten|T. I decided to get the Tungsten|T3 since it was the same price as when I bought my Tungsten|T.

I got the machine office, and set up the cradle and preceded to let the machine charge. I let it charge for about 8 hours then
took the machine home. I inserted the SD card, and I got my BackupMan icon. Tapped it then told it to do a restore. A few
minutes later (this machine is fast), I was restored. I started testing my applications. Everything was fine until I tried
Documents-to-Go. It gave me a fatal error. I did a soft reset and tried it again, same result. I then decided that I would do a
hotsync from off of my laptop computer. End result, I got fatal errors. I played with it for hours, before I realized that I was
loading Documents-to-Go v3.004 and that the Tungsten|T3 has Documents-to-Go in ROM. I did a 'Restore by File' from the SD card,
and left out all of the Documents-to-Go files. Success!! The program came up and was able to read all of my files.

I then did a new backup to SD card and a hotsync. I went to write something into Documents-to-Go, and it locked up. After more
hours of playing, I realized that I had not uninstalled the Documents-to-Go desktop. I deleted that and now I am up and running.
Now as a normal user, I wonder why the OS would let me restore a program that it knows is in ROM?

I had the Tungsten|T3 up and running yesterday and used it as I normally would. In this case an all day meeting to take notes in
QuickWord. The machine worked fine, and when I got home, I was able to hotsync it to my laptop. Throughout the day, I put it on
my belt during breaks. I needed to use it without the keyboard, and I realized just how clumsy Grafitti2 is. I know about the
law suit and wonder why palmOne couldn't simply license the original Grafitti. I then remembered seeing articles about how to
put Grafitti1 on a Tungsten|T3. Long story short, I used the Tungsten|T at CompUSA to downgrade my Tungsten|T3. Then I wanted to
make a backup of the two files to my SD card and I couldn't copy them. I remembered that I had a program called SyncWizard that
would copy the files to my hard disk. BTW, if you need the files let me know. I have put them in a nice little zip file.

The reason I told this long story is to say that for us non-power-user types, we want things to simply work out of the box. I
like my new Tungsten|T3, but I have to say that if I had known what it was going to take to get it to work the way I want, I
probably would have looked around at other stores for another Tungsten|T.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys to cheaply . . .
He esteems to lightly
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 12:14:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <40d26529$1_6@news.athenanews.com>, C.Joseph Drayton
<kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote:

> The reason I told this long story is to say that for us non-power-user types,
> we want things to simply work out of the box. I
> like my new Tungsten|T3, but I have to say that if I had known what it was
> going to take to get it to work the way I want, I
> probably would have looked around at other stores for another Tungsten|T.

Lessons to be learnt there.

Whenever I change my Palm. I always make another copy of my existing
Palm backup folder. This is in case the initial transfer doesn't go
well. Sometimes it may lead to complete erasure of all past data.

One other issue I noted is that the backup hotsync conduit would
continue to add but not remove anything files in the backup folder. So
come reinstall time, you may get back many old files and apps from days
gone by. And some of these old files may be the source of conflicts and
crashes. So it's either that you make a new backup set just before
changing to the new unit, or reinstall apps one by one again, or know
the files in the backup folder and only return those correct files to
the new machine. The last one can be pretty challenging as you often
need to guess which file belongs to which app etc.

--
!