MORE Conflicting Info From Sprint - Now re Web Access

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 6, 2004 6:37:16 PM

First, thanks to all the responses to my post on the the conflicting
info that different Sprint reps were giving me. I'm a potential new
subscriber, to the 300 min. 1-year Free & Clear plan, Sanyo RL-4920
phone.

But just as I was getting close to signing up, Sprint's reps have now
got me puzzled with conflicting answers on a different topic: Web
access. I'm looking for the ability for occasional, light internet
usage from the phone -- don't need all the Vision extras. So I'm
trying to find out of there is a way to get internet access without
the $15/month Vision option.

On the plans description page of sprintpcs.com, there is a footnote
citing internet charges of $.01 per kb for net usage on web-enabled
phones. To me this looked like ad hoc charges that would show up on
the next bill.

But CS Rep #1 told me that ad hoc net-usage charges are not an option.
Instead, I could purchase no-expration prepaid web-usage cards, such
as $40 for 20 mb or $60 for 40 mb. Somewhere within the bowels of the
the site I ran across a link that looked like it might be a
description of this process/costs, but it appeared to be a dead link.

CS Rep #2, said, "Oh, you mean you're looking for an option for light
internet usage? I don't think we offer that anymore, but let me
check." She came back and said, "No, apparently they took that option
away," and told me the only way to access the web form the RL-4920
would be to subscribe to Vision with the monthly $15 charge.

Once again, any help from actual users as to what the true story is
would be appreciated (of course, I wonder if some folks may be
currently getting a plan that isn't being offered to new
subscribers??).

Thanks in advance.
Rick
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 9:44:53 PM

Rick <probabilities@email.com> wrote:

> But just as I was getting close to signing up, Sprint's reps have now
> got me puzzled with conflicting answers on a different topic: Web
> access. I'm looking for the ability for occasional, light internet
> usage from the phone -- don't need all the Vision extras. So I'm
> trying to find out of there is a way to get internet access without
> the $15/month Vision option.
>
> On the plans description page of sprintpcs.com, there is a footnote
> citing internet charges of $.01 per kb for net usage on web-enabled
> phones. To me this looked like ad hoc charges that would show up on
> the next bill.
>
> But CS Rep #1 told me that ad hoc net-usage charges are not an option.

I don't know why. Everything I've heard indicates otherwise.

> CS Rep #2, said, "Oh, you mean you're looking for an option for light
> internet usage? I don't think we offer that anymore, but let me
> check." She came back and said, "No, apparently they took that option
> away," and told me the only way to access the web form the RL-4920
> would be to subscribe to Vision with the monthly $15 charge.

I can't comment. (a) I have a Samsung 660 and just received it today, (b)
I am using the $15/month Vision option, and (c) I've not received a bill
for my phone and my wife has a Vision-capable phone but doesn't use Vision...

July 7, 2004 2:05:19 AM

In article <6fdfe3c2.0407061337.54462cad@posting.google.com>,
probabilities@email.com (Rick) wrote:

> First, thanks to all the responses to my post on the the conflicting
> info that different Sprint reps were giving me. I'm a potential new
> subscriber, to the 300 min. 1-year Free & Clear plan, Sanyo RL-4920
> phone.
>
> But just as I was getting close to signing up, Sprint's reps have now
> got me puzzled with conflicting answers on a different topic: Web
> access. I'm looking for the ability for occasional, light internet
> usage from the phone -- don't need all the Vision extras. So I'm
> trying to find out of there is a way to get internet access without
> the $15/month Vision option.
>
> On the plans description page of sprintpcs.com, there is a footnote
> citing internet charges of $.01 per kb for net usage on web-enabled
> phones. To me this looked like ad hoc charges that would show up on
> the next bill.
>
> But CS Rep #1 told me that ad hoc net-usage charges are not an option.
> Instead, I could purchase no-expration prepaid web-usage cards, such
> as $40 for 20 mb or $60 for 40 mb. Somewhere within the bowels of the
> the site I ran across a link that looked like it might be a
> description of this process/costs, but it appeared to be a dead link.
>
> CS Rep #2, said, "Oh, you mean you're looking for an option for light
> internet usage? I don't think we offer that anymore, but let me
> check." She came back and said, "No, apparently they took that option
> away," and told me the only way to access the web form the RL-4920
> would be to subscribe to Vision with the monthly $15 charge.
>
> Once again, any help from actual users as to what the true story is
> would be appreciated (of course, I wonder if some folks may be
> currently getting a plan that isn't being offered to new
> subscribers??).
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Rick

And many web sites of course do not work on the small Cellular screens,
but require special "WAP" versions. SprintPCS does offer a nice variety
of WAP portals, but its certainly not exhaustive.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:47:30 PM

> But CS Rep #1 told me that ad hoc net-usage charges are not an option.

I don't know why. Everything I've heard indicates otherwise.
======================
Typical CSR lying to sell Vision and meet their upsell quota.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:47:31 PM

..com <wimax0007@aol.com> wrote:
>> But CS Rep #1 told me that ad hoc net-usage charges are not an option.
>
> I don't know why. Everything I've heard indicates otherwise.
> ======================
> Typical CSR lying to sell Vision and meet their upsell quota.

I don't work for Sprint, idiot. Come on, this lie isn't even believable for
people with enough intelligence to read my signature. Of course, intelligence
and/or common sense aren't your strong points.

July 7, 2004 4:14:36 PM

"Rick" <probabilities@email.com> wrote in message
> First, thanks to all the responses to my post on the the conflicting
> info that different Sprint reps were giving me. I'm a potential new
> subscriber, to the 300 min. 1-year Free & Clear plan, Sanyo RL-4920
> phone.
>
> But just as I was getting close to signing up, Sprint's reps have now
> got me puzzled with conflicting answers on a different topic: Web
> access. I'm looking for the ability for occasional, light internet
> usage from the phone -- don't need all the Vision extras. So I'm
> trying to find out of there is a way to get internet access without
> the $15/month Vision option.
>
> On the plans description page of sprintpcs.com, there is a footnote
> citing internet charges of $.01 per kb for net usage on web-enabled
> phones. To me this looked like ad hoc charges that would show up on
> the next bill.
>
> But CS Rep #1 told me that ad hoc net-usage charges are not an option.
> Instead, I could purchase no-expration prepaid web-usage cards, such
> as $40 for 20 mb or $60 for 40 mb. Somewhere within the bowels of the
> the site I ran across a link that looked like it might be a
> description of this process/costs, but it appeared to be a dead link.
>
> CS Rep #2, said, "Oh, you mean you're looking for an option for light
> internet usage? I don't think we offer that anymore, but let me
> check." She came back and said, "No, apparently they took that option
> away," and told me the only way to access the web form the RL-4920
> would be to subscribe to Vision with the monthly $15 charge.
>
> Once again, any help from actual users as to what the true story is
> would be appreciated (of course, I wonder if some folks may be
> currently getting a plan that isn't being offered to new
> subscribers??).
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Rick

Tethering a phone to a laptop for web surfing is not allowed in the TOS. In
saying that, those of us with Vision on our account will do so occasionally
while on the road, and so far, none of us here have been busted on it.

Please note, that I said "occasional". It is not replace a regular ISP
connection.

Bob
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 4:25:16 PM

".com" <wimax0007@aol.com> wrote in message
> > But CS Rep #1 told me that ad hoc net-usage charges are not an option.
>
> I don't know why. Everything I've heard indicates otherwise.
> ======================
> Typical CSR lying to sell Vision and meet their upsell quota.

The only liar in this thread Phillipe is you. There was nothing wrong with
either reps remarks. The first CS said if you want to surf the web, then get
on a PC card plan.

The second rep, said that the only way to access the web on the 4920 was to
get the Vision option. The second rep also said that the option to surf via
tethered use was not allowed. The rep did say that the OP could access the
web through the handset.

Bob
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:31:23 PM

In article <6fdfe3c2.0407061337.54462cad@posting.google.com>,
probabilities@email.com says...
> First, thanks to all the responses to my post on the the conflicting
> info that different Sprint reps were giving me. I'm a potential new
> subscriber, to the 300 min. 1-year Free & Clear plan, Sanyo RL-4920
> phone.
>
> But just as I was getting close to signing up, Sprint's reps have now
> got me puzzled with conflicting answers on a different topic: Web
> access. I'm looking for the ability for occasional, light internet
> usage from the phone -- don't need all the Vision extras. So I'm
> trying to find out of there is a way to get internet access without
> the $15/month Vision option.

I'm not sure what you mean by "light Internet Access." You mean
using a PC via the phone, sort of like a modem? Or do you just want
a "lite version" Vision pack to allow you unlimited usage?

> On the plans description page of sprintpcs.com, there is a footnote
> citing internet charges of $.01 per kb for net usage on web-enabled
> phones. To me this looked like ad hoc charges that would show up on
> the next bill.

Exactly. I can't believe some of the stories you were told. With no
pack in place, you pay a penny per KB of data transmitted to or from
the phone. Billed to you on the next bill after they occur.
Warning: this adds up RAPIDLY. I got involved in a debate about this
on a web site in whose forums I participate. 38.5 MB in 5 days.
Total charge, $385.

> But CS Rep #1 told me that ad hoc net-usage charges are not an option.
> Instead, I could purchase no-expration prepaid web-usage cards, such
> as $40 for 20 mb or $60 for 40 mb. Somewhere within the bowels of the
> the site I ran across a link that looked like it might be a
> description of this process/costs, but it appeared to be a dead link.

This rep appears to have at least come CLOSE to the truth, but still
left out a ton. Plus a misunderstanding. The only "card" involved
at that point is a PCMCIA or CompactFlash card to physically plug
into your laptop, and for which we have limited MB plans. As of
right now, that is the only supported option for using Vision to get
a PC on the Internet.

However, ad-hoc (what we call "casual") usages charges *are* an
option.

> CS Rep #2, said, "Oh, you mean you're looking for an option for light
> internet usage? I don't think we offer that anymore, but let me
> check." She came back and said, "No, apparently they took that option
> away," and told me the only way to access the web form the RL-4920
> would be to subscribe to Vision with the monthly $15 charge.

Wow. Plainly: not true. If you're going to use more than 1.5
MB/month, then the pack will *still* save you money, bells and
whistles or not. But you *absolutely* do not have to sign up for the
pack. BTW, if you try it for a couple of months, and still don't
want to pay $15, there's a $10/month option that is currently in
testing, but available nationwide. Right now, it's only offered
reactively, but it's there.

> Once again, any help from actual users as to what the true story is
> would be appreciated (of course, I wonder if some folks may be
> currently getting a plan that isn't being offered to new
> subscribers??).
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Rick

Hopefully, I've provided you some good info as well. Good luck,
either way.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <MORGc.7755$oD3.5235@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net says...
> Tethering a phone to a laptop for web surfing is not allowed in the TOS. In
> saying that, those of us with Vision on our account will do so occasionally
> while on the road, and so far, none of us here have been busted on it.
>
> Please note, that I said "occasional". It is not replace a regular ISP
> connection.
>
> Bob

Just to be precise, tethered usage is *not* prohibited. All the TOS
say are that our unlimited use Vision packs don't cover it. We also
don't provide tech support on it unless you're using one of our data
cards.

But it's not flat-out prohibited.

--
RØß
O/Siris

O/Siris <0siris@spr?ntpcs.com> wrote:

> Just to be precise, tethered usage is *not* prohibited. All the TOS
> say are that our unlimited use Vision packs don't cover it. We also
> don't provide tech support on it unless you're using one of our data
> cards.

In other words, tethered use will be charged per KB even if you have
an unlimited plan, unless you pay for the unlimited plan that includes data.
(Right?)

July 8, 2004 10:10:36 PM

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message
news:D 275df0bdc0806b25b8362935ce2d23a@news.teranews.com...
In article <MORGc.7755$oD3.5235@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net says...
> Tethering a phone to a laptop for web surfing is not allowed in the TOS.
In
> saying that, those of us with Vision on our account will do so
occasionally
> while on the road, and so far, none of us here have been busted on it.
>
> Please note, that I said "occasional". It is not replace a regular ISP
> connection.
>
> Bob

Just to be precise, tethered usage is *not* prohibited. All the TOS
say are that our unlimited use Vision packs don't cover it. We also
don't provide tech support on it unless you're using one of our data
cards.

But it's not flat-out prohibited.

--
RX_
O/Siris

Thanks for the clarification Rob.

Bob ::thinking its time for Rob to get another newsreader ... :)  ::
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 11:13:10 PM

Even if you had an unlimited voice plan that included Vision, (do
they have an unlimited voice plan?), it would not cover usage connected
to a laptop. Rob said that the only laptop data that they had tech.
support for was with a Connection Card. And none of those plans are for
unlimited data. The max. included data is 300 MB.

Steven J Sobol wrote:

> O/Siris <0siris@spr?ntpcs.com> wrote:
>

>>Just to be precise, tethered usage is *not* prohibited. All the TOS
>>say are that our unlimited use Vision packs don't cover it. We also
>>don't provide tech support on it unless you're using one of our data
>>cards.
>

> In other words, tethered use will be charged per KB even if you have
> an unlimited plan, unless you pay for the unlimited plan that includes data.
> (Right?)

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 11:13:11 PM

Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Even if you had an unlimited voice plan that included Vision, (do
> they have an unlimited voice plan?), it would not cover usage connected
> to a laptop. Rob said that the only laptop data that they had tech.
> support for was with a Connection Card. And none of those plans are for
> unlimited data. The max. included data is 300 MB.

I didn't mean unlimited voice. I meant unlimited Vision usage from the
handset - the plan they offer for $15/month.

July 8, 2004 11:50:16 PM

In article <a1hHc.9243$R36.8269@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Even if you had an unlimited voice plan that included Vision, (do
> they have an unlimited voice plan?), it would not cover usage connected
> to a laptop. Rob said that the only laptop data that they had tech.
> support for was with a Connection Card. And none of those plans are for
> unlimited data. The max. included data is 300 MB.

Hidden away on the SprintPCSweb site:

http://www.sprint.com/business/products/offers/offerPCS...

unlimited data for $80.

> Steven J Sobol wrote:
>
> > O/Siris <0siris@spr?ntpcs.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Just to be precise, tethered usage is *not* prohibited. All the TOS
> >>say are that our unlimited use Vision packs don't cover it. We also
> >>don't provide tech support on it unless you're using one of our data
> >>cards.
> >

> > In other words, tethered use will be charged per KB even if you have
> > an unlimited plan, unless you pay for the unlimited plan that includes data.
> > (Right?)

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 12:35:54 AM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
> In article <a1hHc.9243$R36.8269@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Even if you had an unlimited voice plan that included Vision, (do
> > they have an unlimited voice plan?), it would not cover usage connected
> > to a laptop. Rob said that the only laptop data that they had tech.
> > support for was with a Connection Card. And none of those plans are for
> > unlimited data. The max. included data is 300 MB.
>
> Hidden away on the SprintPCSweb site:
>
> http://www.sprint.com/business/products/offers/offerPCS...
>
> unlimited data for $80.

What you don't mention Phillipe, is that if someone wants that plan, they
have to qualify as a business.

Bob
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 10:13:03 AM

In article <GsmdnbYrN77NF3Dd4p2dnA@lmi.net>, sjsobol@JustThe.net
says...

> In other words, tethered use will be charged per KB even if you have
> an unlimited plan, unless you pay for the unlimited plan that includes data.
> (Right?)

The TOS don't say that. Nor have I ever seen it charged that way. I
*have* seen a self-proclaimed insider or two proclaim that on certain
web forums. But I've never seen it happen. At this point, so far as
I can determine, this is strictly a statutory exclusion.

--
RØß
O/Siris

You just said it. "unlimited Vision usage from the HANDSET - the
plan 'option' they offer for $15/mon." Unlimited data from a laptop or
pda device tethered to a phone is not covered by the Vision option
that can be added to a phone plan. Laptop or pda usage tethered to a
phone would be billed per kilobyte. A much more economical way to get
data to a laptop would be to use a PCS Connection Card and one of the
"Sprint PCS Vision for PCS Connection Cards -Laptop & PDA" plans. Even
though they are not unlimited, they are a lot less expensive than per
kilobyte from a phone. With the plan, 20 thousand kilobytes would $40.
Without the plan, 20 thousand kilobytes would be $200. 40 MB would be
$60 instead of $400, and 300 MB would be $80 instead of $3,000.

Steven J Sobol wrote:

> Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Even if you had an unlimited voice plan that included Vision, (do
>>they have an unlimited voice plan?), it would not cover usage connected
>>to a laptop. Rob said that the only laptop data that they had tech.
>>support for was with a Connection Card. And none of those plans are for
>>unlimited data. The max. included data is 300 MB.
>

> I didn't mean unlimited voice. I meant unlimited Vision usage from the
> handset - the plan they offer for $15/month.

July 11, 2004 5:13:57 AM

O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by "light Internet Access." You mean
> using a PC via the phone, sort of like a modem? Or do you just want
> a "lite version" Vision pack to allow you unlimited usage?

Just a modest amount of access from the handset -- no other devices
involved. (I've been away from the web for a few days and see that I
could have prevented some controversy by making that point clearer.
Sorry.) That's why I was asked about the possibility of ad-hoc usage:

> > On the plans description page of sprintpcs.com, there is a footnote
> > citing internet charges of $.01 per kb for net usage on web-enabled
> > phones. To me this looked like ad hoc charges that would show up on
> > the next bill.
>
> Exactly. I can't believe some of the stories you were told. With no
> pack in place, you pay a penny per KB of data transmitted to or from
> the phone. Billed to you on the next bill after they occur.
> Warning: this adds up RAPIDLY. I got involved in a debate about this
> on a web site in whose forums I participate. 38.5 MB in 5 days.
> Total charge, $385.

Good Lord!! All I'm looking for is occasional Yellow Pages and Movie
Listings access using the Vision versions of sites like Yahoo. What
would a very rough estimate be of kb's per "average" Vision *page* of
this type? I can then estimate how many pages I might need in a
session (since I've played around with Vision a few times on others'
phones), how many sessions I might have per month, and then multiply
to get ballpark monthly kb's.

> Hopefully, I've provided you some good info as well. Good luck,
> either way.

Definitely, very helpful!! Thanks. And thanks to everyone else for
their input, too.
!