Which RDRAM memory is the best for overclocking?

Chris_R

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2003
i like RDRAM memory very much,and i like overclocking,

i don't know whick of the following RDRAM is the best for overclocking.

1,Elpida
2,Samsung
3,OCZ
4,Toshiba
5,NEC

can you give some sugestions to me??

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I agree, Samsung would be a good choice. Just remember to cool lots because that stuff is blazing hot

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

nYak

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
I too vote for the samsung rdram.
It's cheaper then most of the others listed and can overclock verywell , but if i remember right it does not have any heat spreaders or such things so a well cooled system is a must and you also can buy memory cooling kits from some stores but this it not really a must if your case has a good airflow and you have a fan pointed around the memory slots area on your mobo.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OCZ and Kingston had some HUGE defect problems. Samsung should overclock to PC1200 speed (150MHz bus at the standard memory setting).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OCZ has a history of selling overclocked standard memory as a higher speed memory. Considering the Samsung PC1066 usually overclocks to PC1200 speed, I'd wager a guess that OCZ PC1200 is nothing more than relabled/retested Samsung PC1066.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
1 elpida just produce PC 800 some time you cn see PC1066 so by definition they are worst quality that does from Samsung

2 Samsung they produce about 90% of computer RDRAM
they even have 2 GHZ rdram prototype.

3 OCz srappy on any memory keep your self away.

4Toshiba mainly produce RDRAD for nintendo and playstation.

5 Nec as i know they dont produce RDRAM anyway they are not validate from intel so dont touch that.

So you have 2 choice elpida and Samsung.Samsung better overclocker and lower price.Elpida hmm alternative if you hate samsung

[-peep-] french

Chris_R

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2003
Juin,
you said that Elpida "they are worst quality that does from Samsung"
Why did you let me choose Elpida??

and i had sreached in Elpida's web,it said"They are produced using Elpida's 0.13 micron process technology and are packaged in fine-pitch ball-grid array (FBGA) packages."and"The 288 Megabit RDRAM devices and the associated RIMM modules that are built using the new devices have passed Rambus 'validation'. Elpida plans to support higher frequency 1200 MHz and 1333 MHz RDRAM devices in the near future." FORM that,i think Elpida has new devices to produce RDRAM,then i don't think it will be bad quality.

what do you think that??

by the way,i hate the things which is made in Korea .Samsung is this.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chris_R on 03/16/03 01:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I don't know what all those other guys think.. but as far as rd-ram is concern i repeat my previous statemetn.

"To repeat for those hard of hearing.... You buy Samsung now!"

If you want specific numbers try to look for some reviews on them. Rd-ram is not widespread so that may be hard.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What I mean to say is that if ICZ PC1200 is just overclocked PC1066, you might as well buy the PC1066 OCZ makes their "PC1200" from, and save some money.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Possibly, possibly... hard to tell with speeds that are not in use yet.. maybe maybe not...

Chris_R

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2003
ok
i understood all of your statement.
it is not worth to buy OCZ's RDRAM.ok

but what chips does OCZ's RDRAM use??
it use Samsung's???

Chris_R

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2003
Juin,
you said that Elpida "they are worst quality that does from Samsung"
Why did you let me choose Elpida??

and i had sreached in Elpida's web,it said"They are produced using Elpida's 0.13 micron process technology and are packaged in fine-pitch ball-grid array (FBGA) packages."and"The 288 Megabit RDRAM devices and the associated RIMM modules that are built using the new devices have passed Rambus 'validation'. Elpida plans to support higher frequency 1200 MHz and 1333 MHz RDRAM devices in the near future." FORM that,i think Elpida has new devices to produce RDRAM,then i don't think it will be bad quality.

what do you think that??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I believe so. In fact, early OCZ PC1066 was relabled Samsung PC800-40, IIRC from an article I read which actually showed the numbers on the chip itself to be the same.

jaythaman

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
i have the samsung pc800-40ns they perform great at 1066 levels and hey they have a heat spreader who said that they dont?

My computer NEVER cras...DOH!.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But that's overclocking. For OCZ to call it PC1066 was lying. Look near the end of your heat spreader, you'll likely see Samsung model numbers. These numbers are how the site I read from determined that OCZ PC1066 was actually overclocked Samsung PC800-40. You still don't see reason to complain? REAL Samsung PC1066 will overclock to PC1200 speed, when OCZ used Samsung PC800-40 and called it PC1066, it was a rip off even for overclockers, as the already overclocked PC800-40 wouldn't reach PC1200 speed as the real PC1066 would.

All RAMBUS memory has heat spreaders, I think main fuction is as EMI sheilds.