Fifa 2003 Controller - newbie question

Hello,

Please be kind to me - I'm a bit of a newbie to gaming! I do like footie
games, and am struggling with Fifa2003 using the keyboard. I do have a
Logitech Wingman Attack joystick but don't find this makes the game any
easier - in fact it doesn't seem to work very well at all so I'm keyboard
bashing at the moment.

I've seen a gamepad controller for around a tenner (er. 10 UK pounds) at
http://tinyurl.com/2f5hk. Do you think this type of controller is the right
one for this type of game? Or, in other words, what is the best type of
controller for footie games? I also like driving games. And not spending
too much money!

All advice appreciated - as I say, I'm fairly new to this and have never
actually used a game controller.

TIA.

Pete

> Please be kind to me - I'm a bit of a newbie to gaming! I do like footie
> games, and am struggling with Fifa2003 using the keyboard. I do have a
> Logitech Wingman Attack joystick but don't find this makes the game any
> easier - in fact it doesn't seem to work very well at all so I'm keyboard
> bashing at the moment.
>
> I've seen a gamepad controller for around a tenner (er. 10 UK pounds) at
> http://tinyurl.com/2f5hk. Do you think this type of controller is the
right
> one for this type of game? Or, in other words, what is the best type of
> controller for footie games? I also like driving games. And not spending
> too much money!
>
> All advice appreciated - as I say, I'm fairly new to this and have never
> actually used a game controller.

I would get a PS2 Dual Shock with a USB adapter to connect to your PC. I
haven't tried FIFA 2003 but everything else has been great. Pro Evolution 3,
Colin McRae 4 , MVP2004, NHL 2004 etc etc.
GAME has them in stock.

I just bought the USB adapter for my PS2 controller. It works great in NHL
2004 and NBA Live 2004 but it won't map in Pro Evolution 3. It recognizes it
but won't let me change the mapping and doesn't work in the game.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Giz

"Gizzo" <gizzo@sportplanetr.com> wrote in message
> I just bought the USB adapter for my PS2 controller. It works great in NHL
> 2004 and NBA Live 2004 but it won't map in Pro Evolution 3. It recognizes
it
> but won't let me change the mapping and doesn't work in the game.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> Giz
I'm wondering if Pro Evo 3 and Winning Eleven-7 are slightly
different..Which one do you have ?

Pro Evo 3

> "Gizzo" <gizzo@sportplanetr.com> wrote in message
> > I just bought the USB adapter for my PS2 controller. It works great in
NHL
> > 2004 and NBA Live 2004 but it won't map in Pro Evolution 3. It
recognizes
> it
> > but won't let me change the mapping and doesn't work in the game.
> >
> > Any advice would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Giz
> I'm wondering if Pro Evo 3 and Winning Eleven-7 are slightly
> different..Which one do you have ?

OP here. The PS2 gamepad seems (a) more expensive than I'd like (b)
incompatible with some games.

So:

1) What do the experts think about http://tinyurl.com/2f5hk for Fifa 2003 /
driving games. Suitable or not? The price is certainly right and the
reviewers on the EBuyer site seem to quite like it.
2) What should I be looking for for these games - ideally at minimum
expense?

Thanks!

Pete

"Peter Boulton" <peter99@Data*NOSPAM*Percep*NoSpAM*tions.co.uk> wrote in
message news:cahhg2$7ts$1$830fa7a5@news.demon.co.uk...
> Hello,
>
> Please be kind to me - I'm a bit of a newbie to gaming! I do like footie
> games, and am struggling with Fifa2003 using the keyboard. I do have a
> Logitech Wingman Attack joystick but don't find this makes the game any
> easier - in fact it doesn't seem to work very well at all so I'm keyboard
> bashing at the moment.
>
> I've seen a gamepad controller for around a tenner (er. 10 UK pounds) at
> http://tinyurl.com/2f5hk. Do you think this type of controller is the
right
> one for this type of game? Or, in other words, what is the best type of
> controller for footie games? I also like driving games. And not spending
> too much money!
>
> All advice appreciated - as I say, I'm fairly new to this and have never
> actually used a game controller.
>
> TIA.
>
> Pete

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:12:56 +0100, "Peter Boulton"
<peter99@Data*NOSPAM*Percep*NoSpAM*tions.co.uk> wrote:

>OP here. The PS2 gamepad seems (a) more expensive than I'd like (b)
>incompatible with some games.
>
>So:
>
>1) What do the experts think about http://tinyurl.com/2f5hk for Fifa 2003 /
>driving games. Suitable or not? The price is certainly right and the
>reviewers on the EBuyer site seem to quite like it.
>2) What should I be looking for for these games - ideally at minimum
>expense?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Pete

At that price it is certainly worth a shot. But the defacto standard
gamepads to buy now are the Saitek P880 and Logitech Dual Shock.