Sign in with
Your question

Win8 will not Restart, Startup, or Shutdown, Fans stay running

Last response: in Windows 8
March 1, 2013 11:05:14 AM

Well I just installed Win8 on my new pc, activated, downloaded updates, when to restart and everything shut down except for the fans... there was no connection to my monitor but the pc wouldn't restart, just stayed with fans on. After 5mins of me figuring that Windows was just being weird installing updates I held the power button and shut it down. When I rebooted the system wouldn't boot into Windows the first attempt, so I held power button, and 2nd attempt the fans came on but nothing else... so I held power button. On third attempt everything went fine, booted into Windows... immediately googled the issue and looked through forums for an hour or so. I tried disabling fast boot, still the same thing. PC doesn't shutdown or restart correctly and I have to try to reboot 3-4 times before I get no error message and can get into Windows. Any help would be appreciated, I can't figure this out.
March 1, 2013 11:25:00 AM

Something may have corrupt when installing the OS. Are all the drivers for your hardware Win 8 compatible?
m
l
March 1, 2013 11:44:35 AM

kuruptangel said:
Something may have corrupt when installing the OS. Are all the drivers for your hardware Win 8 compatible?

Not sure, I had Win8 installed on the same setup just without the ssd. I got the ssd recently, clean installed Windows 8, started up fine, and then ran into all of these issues. That is the only reason I ruled out my drivers. My HDD is reformatted and used for storage w/o issues as well.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2013 9:35:31 PM

Try reinstalling 8 one more time. Sometimes you may need to do it a couple of times to get it to work correctly.
m
l
March 1, 2013 10:27:27 PM

I did another clean install of Windows 8, still when I restart the pc fans don't shut off and it never reboots Shutdown works normally, also takes 1-3 attempts to boot from a shutdown, fans just turn on, no screen or windows.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 2, 2013 1:41:48 AM

New PC - Did you ever have this computer running on any other OS before you installed Win 8?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
March 2, 2013 11:43:01 PM

Do you have the 64-bit Windows DVD?
m
l
!