Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best PC gamepad?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:38:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

What's your opinion? I tried TWO Logitech Dual Actions but they both had
faulty left analog sticks that randomly lose calibration. I have a PS2 USB
adapter but I want something that will be easily compatible with EA sports
games (why is it that so many of the games require registry hacks to
recognize the controller? Can't these idiots learn anything from flight
sims?). I also want a controller that feels good for medium large hands
(not really large, but not the tiny hands they made the PS2 controller for),
and I want it to have four face buttons prefferably and four triggers, but
I'm open to suggestions.

More about : gamepad

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 5:09:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:38:37 -0400, "magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>What's your opinion? I tried TWO Logitech Dual Actions but they both had
>faulty left analog sticks that randomly lose calibration.

You too, eh? I found the fix for that is to just unplug and plug back
in the pad and the calibration is fine again. But Logitech really
dropped the ball on this, otherwise good, gamepad. I hear the Saitek
P880 is nice.
June 16, 2004 9:12:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:38:37 -0400, "magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>What's your opinion? I tried TWO Logitech Dual Actions but they both had
>faulty left analog sticks that randomly lose calibration. I have a PS2 USB
>adapter but I want something that will be easily compatible with EA sports
>games (why is it that so many of the games require registry hacks to
>recognize the controller? Can't these idiots learn anything from flight
>sims?). I also want a controller that feels good for medium large hands
>(not really large, but not the tiny hands they made the PS2 controller for),
>and I want it to have four face buttons prefferably and four triggers, but
>I'm open to suggestions.

No problems with my Logitech cordless rumblepad, its a bit bigger than
a PS2 pad, and has oodles of buttons and a throttle.
--
Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
Related resources
June 16, 2004 10:22:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

> No problems with my Logitech cordless rumblepad, its a bit bigger than
> a PS2 pad, and has oodles of buttons and a throttle.

I have that one too. Highly recommended and never broke in over 2 years of
use and abuse.
June 17, 2004 4:36:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

Yea...my logitech(dual action) is terrible! It loses calibration all the
time. I get tired of unplugging it all the time. It just SUX!

--
Jamie
If you think you can...you are right.
"Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message
news:75a1d0hh0vv2s7sh0hdoabgkabqej93jq6@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:38:37 -0400, "magnulus"
> <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >What's your opinion? I tried TWO Logitech Dual Actions but they both had
> >faulty left analog sticks that randomly lose calibration.
>
> You too, eh? I found the fix for that is to just unplug and plug back
> in the pad and the calibration is fine again. But Logitech really
> dropped the ball on this, otherwise good, gamepad. I hear the Saitek
> P880 is nice.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.698 / Virus Database: 455 - Release Date: 6/2/2004
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 4:51:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in
news:aLZzc.38$nA1.24@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> What's your opinion? I tried TWO Logitech Dual Actions but they both
> had faulty left analog sticks that randomly lose calibration. I have
> a PS2 USB adapter but I want something that will be easily compatible
> with EA sports games (why is it that so many of the games require
> registry hacks to recognize the controller? Can't these idiots learn
> anything from flight sims?). I also want a controller that feels good
> for medium large hands (not really large, but not the tiny hands they
> made the PS2 controller for), and I want it to have four face buttons
> prefferably and four triggers, but I'm open to suggestions.

I like the Thrustmaster Dual Power but it needs registry hacks for some
ea sports games.


--
"Snatch off your wifebeater - and wipe my ass with it!" - Motion Man
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:26:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:36:32 GMT, "Jamie" <emailme@spamsux.com> wrote:

>Yea...my logitech(dual action) is terrible! It loses calibration all the
>time. I get tired of unplugging it all the time. It just SUX!

I think Logitech should do a recall and give everyone a new gamepad
that has this problem fixed. This is an easy case for a class action
lawsuit but they are lucky that we are too lazy to sue them. There
is/was a class action lawsuit against Apple for faulty iPods.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:55:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

The real pitty is the Logitech Dual Action has the best feel and design
of all of Logitech's gamepads. The guts are just bad. I don't think much
of the Logitech Rumblepad's plastic sticks.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 9:34:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

If you pick up the phone and call them, they would be more then happy to
send you you a new one without you sending back the junk one...sheesh! I had
no problems with them at all.

"Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message
news:krk3d095gub8gdun1rkqp6ei9n51p996ek@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:36:32 GMT, "Jamie" <emailme@spamsux.com> wrote:
>
> >Yea...my logitech(dual action) is terrible! It loses calibration all the
> >time. I get tired of unplugging it all the time. It just SUX!
>
> I think Logitech should do a recall and give everyone a new gamepad
> that has this problem fixed. This is an easy case for a class action
> lawsuit but they are lucky that we are too lazy to sue them. There
> is/was a class action lawsuit against Apple for faulty iPods.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 10:45:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:34:08 -0700, "Darek Unser"
<asignpro@homail.com> wrote:

>If you pick up the phone and call them, they would be more then happy to
>send you you a new one without you sending back the junk one...sheesh! I had
>no problems with them at all.

OK, I'll try that. But I bet the new one is just as porked though.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 4:42:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"Darek Unser" <asignpro@homail.com> wrote in message
news:JOLAc.7727$tC5.7716@fed1read02...
> If you pick up the phone and call them, they would be more then happy to
> send you you a new one without you sending back the junk one...sheesh! I
had
> no problems with them at all.

What is the #?


>
> "Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message
> news:krk3d095gub8gdun1rkqp6ei9n51p996ek@4ax.com...
> > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:36:32 GMT, "Jamie" <emailme@spamsux.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Yea...my logitech(dual action) is terrible! It loses calibration all
the
> > >time. I get tired of unplugging it all the time. It just SUX!
> >
> > I think Logitech should do a recall and give everyone a new gamepad
> > that has this problem fixed. This is an easy case for a class action
> > lawsuit but they are lucky that we are too lazy to sue them. There
> > is/was a class action lawsuit against Apple for faulty iPods.
>
>
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 7:15:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

It becomes a pain in the a$$ when you're in the middle of a game. Some games
throws fit when you unplug and plug the controller back in. Usually it calls
for you to quit the game and restart it... sux!

"Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message
news:75a1d0hh0vv2s7sh0hdoabgkabqej93jq6@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:38:37 -0400, "magnulus"
> <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >What's your opinion? I tried TWO Logitech Dual Actions but they both had
> >faulty left analog sticks that randomly lose calibration.
>
> You too, eh? I found the fix for that is to just unplug and plug back
> in the pad and the calibration is fine again. But Logitech really
> dropped the ball on this, otherwise good, gamepad. I hear the Saitek
> P880 is nice.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 1:05:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

"TomS" <toms@usfdex.com> wrote in message
news:10kek4ntncj8d8e@corp.supernews.com...
> It becomes a pain in the a$$ when you're in the middle of a game. Some
games
> throws fit when you unplug and plug the controller back in. Usually it
calls
> for you to quit the game and restart it... sux!
>


I was impressed enough with the Saitek P880 that I have one on both of my
computers. I've owned them both for a number of months now. They do
suffer from a weird calibration problem, but it is easily solved. First,
make sure the Digital function of the pad is on. Then test the P880 under
Gaming Options in the Control Panel. Close the test and then open it
again. Twirl the left analog stick around a few times until the pad
becomes functional digitally. Then you are good to go! Both of my P880's
on both of my computers work great after doing this. I keep a shortcut to
Gaming Options on my desktop so that I don't have to go through the hassle
of opening up the Control Panel. Other than this one weird problem, the
P880 is definitely underrated IMHO.
!