Sanyo 4920 Speaker Worse Than 4900??

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I posted a few weeks ago about a power problem I was having with a
reconditioned Sanyo 4900 I received from a monthly-prepaid provider
that uses the Sprint network (Liberty Wireless).

Well, today I decided to make the switch to SPCS itself and get a
brand new Sanyo 4920. I got one today at Radio Shack. Turns out the
power issue is gone as expected...but, ulk...that speaker! Of the few
reviews of this phone I've seen to-date, one person praised the 4920's
speaker as better than the 4900's, and none of the reviews had any
complaints about it (and these were mostly former 4900 users).

But as it turns out, the speaker on the 4920 is decidedly
inferior...at least on the unit I bought.

I can no longer make calls from my reconditioned 4900, but I can still
record voice memos, and I've been using these -- recorded with the
mouthpiece mic -- to do sound quality comparisons. The two phones
have comparable sound quality when I'm playing back the memos through
the earpiece. But through the speaker the 4900 plays back smooth and
clean while the 4920 sounds tinny and more than a little distorted.
The 4900's speaker sounds much better. And I'm *not* playing at high
volumes.

I plan to go back to Radio Shack and do some similar comparisons
between my 4920 their display model, but is there anyone out there who
has used both phones? How do you think the speakers compare? Can one
expect variation in something like speaker quality between different
units of the same model?

Thanks in advance.

HS

In article <40ab9e53.0407080000.61eecb49@posting.google.com>,
haroldse@yahoo.com (Rick) wrote:

> I posted a few weeks ago about a power problem I was having with a
> reconditioned Sanyo 4900 I received from a monthly-prepaid provider
> that uses the Sprint network (Liberty Wireless).
>
> Well, today I decided to make the switch to SPCS itself and get a
> brand new Sanyo 4920. I got one today at Radio Shack. Turns out the
> power issue is gone as expected...but, ulk...that speaker! Of the few
> reviews of this phone I've seen to-date, one person praised the 4920's
> speaker as better than the 4900's, and none of the reviews had any
> complaints about it (and these were mostly former 4900 users).
>
> But as it turns out, the speaker on the 4920 is decidedly
> inferior...at least on the unit I bought.
>
> I can no longer make calls from my reconditioned 4900, but I can still
> record voice memos, and I've been using these -- recorded with the
> mouthpiece mic -- to do sound quality comparisons. The two phones
> have comparable sound quality when I'm playing back the memos through
> the earpiece. But through the speaker the 4900 plays back smooth and
> clean while the 4920 sounds tinny and more than a little distorted.
> The 4900's speaker sounds much better. And I'm *not* playing at high
> volumes.
>
> I plan to go back to Radio Shack and do some similar comparisons
> between my 4920 their display model, but is there anyone out there who
> has used both phones? How do you think the speakers compare? Can one
> expect variation in something like speaker quality between different
> units of the same model?

The Sanyo 7300 has a larger speaker, but you have to turn its volume
down.

You want to hear a great speaker phone, Try a Motorola v400 (not a
SprintPCS phone), but only $29.99 this week at BestBuy.