Won't run at 333mhz, errors

G

well, i have a ga-7vrxp motherboard, 1 dimm of 512mb of corsair value pc2700 ram. I set the ram to the 333mhz with aggressive timings, but with 2.5 cas latency, and it crashed, wouldn't make it to windows, and got tons of errors. Now i'm running it at 333mhz with the least aggressive timings possible, and sisoftware sandra benchmarks it about 266mhz and shows it as 266mhz instead of 333mhz. Whats wrong here, why isn't it running at 333mhz?

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Don't know, but in the past i've found some mobos have this problem. Is it an AMD board? Technically the ram will only run as fast as the fsb if your bios doesn't support separate speeds for the two.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

G

Well i checked it out, and the option run in syn with speed or something was enabled, which lets it run at ddr333. But i can't run it at ddr333 even with the lowest settings. When going into windows it gives me windows protection errors and stuff and triest to replace the registry, which is a pain. I'm begining to think i just got ripped off and the guy gave me pc2100 instead of pc2700, but i'm running aggressive timings and cas 2 at 266mhz with no problem even though the ram was supposed to be cas 2.5 (then again it was supposed to be pc2700). If this is pc2100, would the motherboard even recognize it when set to ddr333 or would it be behaving like this? Thanks

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
i had the same problem with 1 stick of ddr2700 ram, i switched out mobo's and the stick worked fine, i think that particular motherboard is picky on PC2700 ram -_-

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"