QoS for ZYXEL PK5000Z

ObeseCamelz

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Hello, I have a Zyxel PK5000Z router. I need to setup the QoS so that one of my computers, (IP of 192.168.0.9 ) has the fastest connection to the internet in terms of ping. Our internet connection is slow, (Highest download speed we've ever gotten is 200kbps ) and as such, when anyone in the household uses netflix or YouTube, the pings on other machines skyrockets. I would like to have it setup so that one could still watch netflix or youtube, or whatever the activity is, however priority will be given to the previously mentioned computer.

Here's what the setup looks like:

FwshCh3.png

I tried setting it up myself, however I don't entirely understand routers. Basically, if someone could tell me what to fill out in each form, that would be great. Thanks for any and all help!

Solution
So far I can't find the manual for this router. From the little I can see like many routers this router only pretends to have QoS. All these routers work on the false assumption that you can control overloaded download traffic by controlling upload traffic.

You can place certain of your internal ip into groups and mark then high low etc.

So if you get a overload condition in your upload it will send high value traffic first. Generally this only works for people who are uploading a lot of data to other users.

Some more advanced routers let you put ip addresses into groups and then place limits on how much traffic they can download. This also only partially works. The key problem is that ISP is deciding which traffic to send and...
So far I can't find the manual for this router. From the little I can see like many routers this router only pretends to have QoS. All these routers work on the false assumption that you can control overloaded download traffic by controlling upload traffic.

You can place certain of your internal ip into groups and mark then high low etc.

So if you get a overload condition in your upload it will send high value traffic first. Generally this only works for people who are uploading a lot of data to other users.

Some more advanced routers let you put ip addresses into groups and then place limits on how much traffic they can download. This also only partially works. The key problem is that ISP is deciding which traffic to send and which to discard. Does you little good if they decide to drop your important traffic and send you the other traffic which you then drop trying to make room for the good traffic. You dropping the other traffic does not magically get the data back the ISP already threw away. This only reason this method partially works is dropping traffic causes errors for the app you do not like. This means while it is trying to recover from these errors you can get your important traffic though...until the errors are corrected and you have to drop more traffic to cause more errors.

I suspect you are wasting your time with the router you have

Solution

ObeseCamelz

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012

Thank you very much! I appreciate your time and knowledge.
I had suspected as much, I know it's a pretty crappy router and when I had looked up QOS before, trying to figure out how to use it, it didn't make any sense.
Thanks!