"Drum Outtakes"

Last response: in Home Audio
February 12, 2005 1:11:52 PM

With so much discussion of drum micing, drum sounds, drum tuning, the
room, and of course, the playing of drums, I thought you'd like this:

http://www.disndat.info/bonham/

(Not my page)

More about : drum outtakes

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:53:03 PM

A one-man-band. These are a gas, thanks

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:11:52 -0500, Don Cooper
<dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:

>With so much discussion of drum micing, drum sounds, drum tuning, the
>room, and of course, the playing of drums, I thought you'd like this:
>
>http://www.disndat.info/bonham/
>
>(Not my page)
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:24:59 AM

"Don Cooper" <dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote in message
> With so much discussion of drum micing, drum sounds, drum tuning, the
> room, and of course, the playing of drums, I thought you'd like this:
>
> http://www.disndat.info/bonham/
>
> (Not my page)

Those are darn cool to listen to. Thanks for the pointer, although it looks
like those may not be there for much longer. Better get 'em while you
can....

Kendall
February 15, 2005 12:57:08 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:42:31 -0800, S O'Neill <nopsam@nospam.net>
wrote:

>> Does anyone think they're really Bonzo tracks?
>

>no.

Why not?
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:00:45 AM

>> > http://www.disndat.info/bonham/
>

> Does anyone think they're really Bonzo tracks?

They appear to be outtakes from the "In Through The Outdoor" sessions and if
they're not real someone went to a whole world of trouble to make them
appear like they were legit. And it does appear to be his voice or a darn
good imitation. I would vote probably.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:19:34 AM

"S O'Neill" <nopsam@nospam.net> wrote in message

> > Does anyone think they're really Bonzo tracks?

Sure sounds like it to me.

Kendall

> no.

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 9:26:49 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:47:14 -0500, Don Cooper
<dcooper28800@comcast.net> wrote:

>> > http://www.disndat.info/bonham/

I got my copy (the html link/disclaimer page as well as the mp3's),
I hope the guy can afford the bandwidth with the undoubted popularity
of this page.

>Does anyone think they're really Bonzo tracks?

My main comparison with these tracks is my memory of the opening
drums on "When The Levy Breaks" which is an earlier recording than
these, but it has that 'big sound' with all the reverb and
compression. That's not much to compare with, but these sound good to
me. It's just hard to believe all the grunts and stuff are on the
final recordings as well - he must be making these noises fairly
loudly to be heard through his drumming. Perhaps the grunts are masked
by the other instruments in the final mix, but it seems they would
come through. I'll have to listen more closely to my old LP's. I've
not known many drummers, but I've never heard one grunt and make so
many vocal noises (other than singing) like that.

I googled for discussions of this (okay, I was looking for the
original group the page talks about, didn't find it but I wasn't
exhaustive). It's on most of the expected newsgroups and usual BBS's
in recent weeks.
As someone said, if this ain't real, someone went to a lot of
trouble to fake it.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 9:26:50 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:26:49 GMT, Ben Bradley
<ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> As someone said, if this ain't real, someone went to a lot of
>trouble to fake it.

Yeah, why would someone bother? It's not like they are selling loop
CDs of wavfiles.

Al
February 17, 2005 1:27:10 AM

Don Cooper wrote:
> With so much discussion of drum micing, drum sounds, drum tuning, the
> room, and of course, the playing of drums, I thought you'd like this:

Thanks a bunch for the link. I have always been a huge Zeppelin fan. So
far I have listened to the first 4 or 5 tracks. I don't doubt for a
minute that these are authentic. Listen to the tone of each individual
drum. They are signature Bohnam. On at least one cut you can hear Plant
in the background. Sounds like Plant to me.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:24:10 AM

"EricK" <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote in message
> Don Cooper wrote:
>> With so much discussion of drum micing, drum sounds, drum tuning, the
>> room, and of course, the playing of drums, I thought you'd like this:
>
> Thanks a bunch for the link. I have always been a huge Zeppelin fan. So
> far I have listened to the first 4 or 5 tracks. I don't doubt for a minute
> that these are authentic. Listen to the tone of each individual drum. They
> are signature Bohnam. On at least one cut you can hear Plant in the
> background. Sounds like Plant to me.

My initial impression was that the drum tones sounded too "current" to be
from anything Bonham did, maybe I should listen again... What's that link,
again?

Neil Henderson
February 17, 2005 10:09:36 AM

Neil Henderson wrote:

> My initial impression was that the drum tones sounded too "current" to be
> from anything Bonham did, maybe I should listen again... What's that link,
> again?

http://www.disndat.info/bonham/

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:12:59 PM

Ross Hogarth originally posted these on his discussion group site. He
took them off because he couldn't vouch for their authenticity.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 12:01:03 AM

Neil Henderson wrote:
> "Ben Bradley" <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> > Oh, you wanted the actual mp3's too? I'm sure someone must have
saved
> > those as well. ;)
>
> DOH! Yes, I wanted to listen to them again, not read about them. :)
>
> Neil Henderson

As a courtesy, I can get them to you one way or
another if you ping me offline.
Darn I wish they were better quality !

rd

ps - Have I said I don't care for MP3 ?
February 18, 2005 3:15:33 AM

Ricky Hunt wrote:

> They appear to be outtakes from the "In Through The Outdoor" sessions
and if
> they're not real someone went to a whole world of trouble to make
them
> appear like they were legit. And it does appear to be his voice or a
darn
> good imitation. I would vote probably.

Indeed, they do sound like outtakes from that disc. One can hear Plant
in the background on some, and also JPJ's synths lines on others. I'm
a pro drummer and a big Bonham fan, and I'd be very suprised to find
these weren't him. The bass drum is one thing, but it's also the fills
and his general feel. Add in that Brit accent and the noises he makes,
It's gotta be him! (On the Zep DVD, watch him during Page's solo in
"Stairway", when he's playing the hi-hat and about to do the famous
fill. He's certainly saying something up there, but it's not getting
through the mics.)

As for the poster who thought the mp3 sounds are too "modern", get a
copy of ITTOD and listen to "I'm Gonna Crawl", which really captures
that huge Bonham sound about as good as one probably could in '79.

Mark
--
webpages: http://drumbent.com
++++++++++++++++++++++

> Neil Henderson wrote:
>
>> My initial impression was that the drum tones sounded too "current" to be
>> from anything Bonham did, maybe I should listen again... What's that
>> link, again?
>
> http://www.disndat.info/bonham/

Damn, now that link gives me a 403 "you are unauthorized to view this page"
error.

Neil Henderson
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:25:21 AM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 01:06:53 GMT, "Neil Henderson"
<neil.henderson@sbcglobal.netNOSPAM> wrote:

>"EricK" <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote in message
>> Neil Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> My initial impression was that the drum tones sounded too "current" to be
>>> from anything Bonham did, maybe I should listen again... What's that
>>> link, again?
>>
>> http://www.disndat.info/bonham/
>
>Damn, now that link gives me a 403 "you are unauthorized to view this page"
>error.
>
>Neil Henderson

That's okay, surely I'm not the only one who saved that webpage.
Here's a copy-paste of the text:

Drum outtakes

Hello. I really only stuck these tracks up here to share with a
specific group of people... but it seems that in the process, the link
to this page has been spread to the masses... which is fine. Because
of what (and who) they appear to be, I understand the mass appeal. I
hope you enjoy them as much as I have!

Since putting these up to share, I have received a number of emails
and a number of telephone calls about them. In an effort save time
and effort on my part, I'll try to answer the questions (which really
boil down to just a few specific ones) that I've received below. As I
mentioned before, I really only stuck these tracks up to share with a
specific group of people. Unless you're part of that group (you know
who you are), please DO NOT email me or call me. In my job, this is
an incredibly busy time of year for me, and I just don't have time to
tend to all of this.

Are these actually drum outtakes of John Bonham?
I don't know. I believe that they are. I don't have any reason to
think that they're not. But again, I don't know for absolute certain.

Do you have the master tapes that these came from?
No. And further, I have no idea where to find them.

Can I get these in an uncompressed/lossless format, like .wav?
What you see (hear) below is what I've got... and it's ALL that I've
got.

Who did you get these from?... can you get me in touch with them?
I got these from a friend that's part of the group of people that I
mentioned above. I recently talked with him and asked where HE got
them... and his came from a friend, too... and he gave me exactly what
was given to him, so what I've got is what he's got, is what his
friend had... and so on. In any case, he really doesn't have any more
time to try and dig this backwards than I do. Like I said, what's
below is what I've got. Neither of us know where they came from... we
just know what and who they appear to be... so take that for whatever
it's worth and just enjoy them!

2-11-2005... After receiving more mail about these today, I'm going to
go ahead and take them down. Some people have been incredibly
insistent on knowing more details - details that I simply don't have.
I do not know the origins of these. I'm not a sound engineer or a
record producer (I write tax software for a living). I didn't
manipulate or process these files in any way... I was only sharing
what was passed on to me. I believe these to be Bonham. If you
don't, FINE - don't grab them, and don't try and argue with me about
it. I'll leave them here for a few days, and then they're going
away...

Track 1 - 2.15 MB Track 13 - 1.79 MB
Track 2 - 1.51 MB Track 14 - 2.48 MB
Track 3 - 366k Track 15 - 680k
Track 4 - 669k Track 16 - 533k
Track 5 - 823k Track 17 - 2.27 MB
Track 6 - 1.36 MB Track 18 - 1.22 MB
Track 7 - 606k Track 19 - 3.16 MB
Track 8 - 211k Track 20 - 1.36 MB
Track 9 - 859k Track 21 - 249k
Track 10 - 324k Track 22 - 2.80 MB
Track 11 - 1.00 MB Track 23 - 1.19 MB

Oh, you wanted the actual mp3's too? I'm sure someone must have saved
those as well. ;)

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:02:47 AM

"Ben Bradley" <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Oh, you wanted the actual mp3's too? I'm sure someone must have saved
> those as well. ;)

DOH! Yes, I wanted to listen to them again, not read about them. :)

Neil Henderson
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 2:51:57 AM

On 2005-02-18, Ben Bradley <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> 2-11-2005... After receiving more mail about these today, I'm going to
> go ahead and take them down.

What a strange attitude to take while doing a service to the community.
That's his perogative of course, but it strikes me as bizarre behavior.

I put them at http://www.conservatory.com/music/bonham/
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 4:30:31 AM

<mark@drumbent.com> wrote in message

> Indeed, they do sound like outtakes from that disc. One can hear Plant
> in the background on some, and also JPJ's synths lines on others. I'm
> a pro drummer and a big Bonham fan, and I'd be very suprised to find
> these weren't him.

That's how I made my guess. I knew the kick offs (synth, etc.) and vocals
were from "In Through The Outdoor" (though some of the songs aren't; they
could be from "Coda" which I'm not that familiar with or tracks that were
never put out). And I don't hear a doubling of the drums, meaning it doesn't
sound like the bleed is just someone with a copy of the finished "In Through
The Outdoor" blaring in his headphones and he's just some guy playing along
at home (plus the synth and vocal stuff is a little rawer and drier than in
the finished version). Also, the grunts sound exactly like him. But the
biggest determinate was nobody would go to all this trouble (even if they
could do it so well) for no reason just to fake people out (IMO). As another
poster said it's not like he's offering these for sale. I didn't think the
quality was very good at all so I'm not sure what the poster who said it
sounded "too good" was referring to. I didn't save them but if I recall the
drums aren't even in stereo and don't sound as good as the finished ITTOD.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 4:47:40 AM

"james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-02-18, Ben Bradley <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>> 2-11-2005... After receiving more mail about these today, I'm going to
>> go ahead and take them down.
>
> What a strange attitude to take while doing a service to the community.
> That's his perogative of course, but it strikes me as bizarre behavior.
>
> I put them at http://www.conservatory.com/music/bonham/

Oops. Didn't realize they were back up so I'll amend my previous post. For
some really interesting stuff pull up
http://www.conservatory.com/music/bonham/John%20Bonham-...
and match it up to "Carouselambra" off ITTOD. It drifts in and out at places
and at others is spot on but I'd say 99.9% sure it is Bonham. If you do this
experiment I think you'll agree. I was going by memory before but it is in
stereo and is a lot "better" sounding (IMO) than the finished CD but there
could be all kinds of reasons for that. I'd be interested to hear from
anyone else who matches these tracks up like this.
!