tennis games on PC?

Are there any good ones?

I used to have this older DOS game that was OK (International something
something... forgot the name). I'd imagine tennis is probably selling
better on consoles, but still would be interesting to find a PC game of
tennis.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:17:11 -0400, "magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Are there any good ones?

Pong.

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Are there any good ones?
>
> I used to have this older DOS game that was OK (International something
> something... forgot the name). I'd imagine tennis is probably selling
> better on consoles, but still would be interesting to find a PC game of
> tennis.

Actually there are no really good ones. Virtua Tennis is the first thing
that comes to mind.

However, it has just been recently announced that Top Spin is coming to the
PC. It'll be an XBox port. It's an excellent tennis game, no doubt the
best.

I'm not sure when it's scheduled for release. Maybe in the Fall.

Alanb

Andrew

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:17:11 -0400, "magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I used to have this older DOS game that was OK (International something
>something... forgot the name). I'd imagine tennis is probably selling
>better on consoles, but still would be interesting to find a PC game of
>tennis.

I would like a good one myself, I have played a few demos of games
that take themselves too seriously and have bad controls, but I miss
the great ones for playability I used to play on the SNES.

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> I would like a good one myself, I have played a few demos of games
> that take themselves too seriously and have bad controls, but I miss
> the great ones for playability I used to play on the SNES.
> -

Garage Games has Tennis Critters, which seems to be an homage to more
arcadish type tennis games. Squirrels playing tennis, I guess Mario style.
I might check it out, though it is 20 dollars (they also have a marble
madness platformer type game that is fun).

I'd like a more sim-like game, though. Tight controls would be a
priority, too.

Andrew

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:41:39 -0400, "magnulus"
<magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Garage Games has Tennis Critters, which seems to be an homage to more
>arcadish type tennis games. Squirrels playing tennis, I guess Mario style.
>I might check it out, though it is 20 dollars (they also have a marble
>madness platformer type game that is fun).

I tried that out a while ago (I would have mentioned it, but I
couldn't remember the name!) and it was one of the better games out
there, but not good enough to make me want to buy it.

I've heard about (but didn't play) Tennis Masters Series, which is made by
Microids. They released a 2002 and 2003 version...not sure if there will be
a 2004.

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Are there any good ones?
>
> I used to have this older DOS game that was OK (International something
> something... forgot the name). I'd imagine tennis is probably selling
> better on consoles, but still would be interesting to find a PC game of
> tennis.

i think virtual tennis has the comp version

"Ampersand" <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote in message
> I've heard about (but didn't play) Tennis Masters Series, which is made by
> Microids. They released a 2002 and 2003 version...not sure if there will
be
> a 2004.
>

> "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Are there any good ones?
> >
> > I used to have this older DOS game that was OK (International
something
> > something... forgot the name). I'd imagine tennis is probably selling
> > better on consoles, but still would be interesting to find a PC game of
> > tennis.

Yes there is a PC version for Virtua Tennis and it's pretty cheap by now. I
wouldn't call Virtua Tennis a sim though, as it's more an arcade game. It's
fun though.

"Erwin Lawardy Lau" <lawardy@internode.on.net> wrote in message
> i think virtual tennis has the comp version
>
> "Ampersand" <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote in message
> > I've heard about (but didn't play) Tennis Masters Series, which is made
by
> > Microids. They released a 2002 and 2003 version...not sure if there
will
> be
> > a 2004.
> >

> > "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > Are there any good ones?
> > >
> > > I used to have this older DOS game that was OK (International
> something
> > > something... forgot the name). I'd imagine tennis is probably selling
> > > better on consoles, but still would be interesting to find a PC game
of
> > > tennis.

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Are there any good ones?

Slim pickings at this point - but MS has announced Top Spin is coming to the
PC in September. Haven't played the Xbox version, but it got glowing
reviews.

So wait a couple of months.

> Are there any good ones?

Tennis Masters is very good. Download a demo of the 2003 version.
I found it more enjoyable than Virtua Tennis.