Compatibility Wizard Problem with Tex Murphy

I am running XP Pro, SP1. I recently got a great old game called
"Overseer", one of the "Tex Murphy" games by Access Software. It was
designed for Windows 95. I ran the Compatibility Wizard and selected Win95
and the appropriate screen resolution. The game has 2 environments, one of
which uses DirectX in an "interactive" mode, playing interactive scenes from
the game's DVD. In this mode, the items outside the frame of the scene seem
to work properly, but the scene in the frame is blank (black), and there is
no audio when this interactive scene plays.

When I did the install of the game, Setup said I did not have the current
version of DirectX. I assumed it did not detect the later version 9 already
on my machine. Being the non-movie portion of the games seems to work,
I guess it is a DirectX issue, but I certainly don't know this for sure.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Hello,

I have this very same problem. It would be cool to be able to fix this,
because this game is awesome (IMO). I searched and searched with google but
nothing seemed to help.

The most funny thing is that I can play the movies with DivX player
(including the audio), but in game it is just a black screen. The DVD-drive
is set correctly in the configuration, but that doesnt help either (autorun
doesnt work as well). Something strange is going on. It just looks like it
cant connect with the DVD or something.

I hope someone, anyone can fix this :p.

Greetings,

Guus Claessen