Windows 7 OEM hard drive swapping?

moikie

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Well as everyone using Windows RC knows, it'll be shutting down every hour or so starting in a week or so.
I've been looking at two different options.
First option was to use Ubuntu 9.1.0 though I have no experience with it. Thing is I game a little and wanted to run games also. I looked into using Wine yet its not always guaranteed.
Second option was to do a clean install of Windows 7 using an OEM copy for far less than retail. Also, thing is..I might be receiving a new computer from school and was wondering how it would work out if I installed the Windows 7 OEM to this hard drive then swapped it out to the new computer. I heard you cannot change anything once the OEM is installed without calling Microsoft. Would it be possible to swap out the hard drive and put it into my new machine?

Solution
1) games are most of the time hard to run in linux, even a popular game like age of empires was tricky (but possible).

2) regulations state that the OEM is sold to one mobo.
meaning that if you change the motherboard, you need a new OEM copy.
thus calling to microsoft is useless because its a new motherboard...
BUT since it's a computer from school, i would try to get a special deal through the school, it may have a special deal with MS and you always have www.MA3D.com

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
1) games are most of the time hard to run in linux, even a popular game like age of empires was tricky (but possible).

2) regulations state that the OEM is sold to one mobo.
meaning that if you change the motherboard, you need a new OEM copy.
thus calling to microsoft is useless because its a new motherboard...
BUT since it's a computer from school, i would try to get a special deal through the school, it may have a special deal with MS and you always have www.MA3D.com

Solution