Is a wireless repeater and an extender the same thing/

G

Hello,
i struggle getting a wireless internet signal in some parts of my house downstairs and all upstairs. Is a wireless router or repeater the same thing and which do I need

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
They are both the same thing!
You should find an multi purpose device that will work as an AP, repeater/extender or bridge. That way you cant go wrong!
A repeater/extender wirelessly connects to the routers signal and repeats it further along, while an AP connects to the router by cable. A bridge on the other hand can connect to the router wirelessly while users connect via cable.

dragonspire

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
They aren't the same thing. A repeater "repeats" the original access point (AP) signal.

An extender creates a new AP. You can name and set the passcode to be the same on the new AP, but your signal drops when you move from one to the other.

Technically, dragonspire is right. In fact, the extender uses TWO radios, one for the client connection, the other for the new AP, while the repeater merely toggles its ONE radio between client and AP mode.

In the end, they both provide the same functionality, but of the two, the extender is far more efficient, providing DOUBLE the throughput of a repeater. Of course, a true extender often costs more for this very reason.

All that said, I'm not sure you can depend on these definitions when shopping for products because far too many manufacturers don't make these distinctions, and are often just as likely to call a repeater an extender, or vice versa.

ALLINSUCCESS

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

Wait...so which on is better?

Extender will drop in signal but double in throughput?

Please clarify.

Ying Chun Gee

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

The repeater and extender are two different thing.

Repeater - Capture your root signal and boost up and rebroadcast your wifi. The repeater is using the same ssid and channel as your root signal. The roaming between AP and repeater is possible without interruption. No interference issue for the same channel using.

Extender - Capture your root signal and rebroadcast it under different ssid and channel. If the channel setting same as the root signal, interference will happen. No roaming is possible.

You are hardly to find the real repeater in the market. Many brand are misleading the consumer with repeater labelling but actually is an extender.

Hope this answer your question.