Hi
I have a quick questions for the experts here
I just bought the new asus AC router RT-AC66U R
and pcie card PCE-AC66 R
both with latest firmware and driver.
range is amazing , features are out of this world
just one thing
on the pc with pcie card im not seing speeds I expected
when copying a big file from a pc connected using gb to the router I using ssd (when the source is the one with the pcie card using sata2 disk)
I only see around 17-20MB/sec max.
also the pcie card shows connected using N not Ac(not sure if that's normal or not)
any ideas?
is this "normal"?

thanks in advance

More about : wireless

a c 202 F Wireless
January 22, 2013 7:56:46 PM

Did you set it to use use only a 5GHz 80MHz wide channel? I think that the default is Auto 20/40 2.4 and 5GHz. If you use Auto you won't get the wide channel needed for maximum transfer rates.
January 30, 2013 7:51:53 PM

RealBeast said:
Did you set it to use use only a 5GHz 80MHz wide channel? I think that the default is Auto 20/40 2.4 and 5GHz. If you use Auto you won't get the wide channel needed for maximum transfer rates.

hi
thanks for your reply
I changed it but I didn't disable 2.4 since this card supposed to work hybrid 2.4+5.0 to getmaximum(theoretical I know) of 1700mbps
on card I see 400mbps
are those supposed to show more than that?

Related resources
January 30, 2013 7:55:18 PM

also mine shows connected with n
is it supposed to show ac? or is ac part of n
the card is anAC card
wasnt sure about that either
a c 202 F Wireless
January 30, 2013 8:01:07 PM

That is about what Tom's got in their testing, take a look HERE. The fastest possible transfers today are on 5GHz with the 80MHz wide channel enabled (when anyone makes channel bonding available to use a 160MHz channel as per the standard that will be a higher data rate). If you use auto or 20/40 it will degrade speed in order to allow legacy devices.

AC is not N, but your router supports legacy modes and is happy to run slower to accommodate all devices that you allow. AC has a maximum 5GHz rate of 1300Mbps and 2.4GHz rate of 450Mbps, the manufacturers add those to come up with the 1750 number. Just as you never really got 450Mbps on N 2.4, you will not get 1300Mbps on AC, but it will be faster and have better range. AC is only supported on the 5GHz radio, the 2.4GHz is for legacy devices.
January 30, 2013 8:29:44 PM

thanks
now it make sense
only thing is I don't have any ac option in router just:
auto
n
and legacy
no "ac" option
(that's on 5.0 currently set to auto)
on 2.4 I have I set to N
so how do I force it to use the 5 on "ac"
and will the connection show "ac"?

thanks again for all your help
a c 202 F Wireless
January 30, 2013 9:13:47 PM

If you use an 80MHz channel, it will be ac, as N only supports 20 and 40MHz channels.
January 30, 2013 9:19:44 PM

RealBeast said:
If you use an 80MHz channel, it will be ac, as N only supports 20 and 40MHz channels.

I see
so now I change the 5.0 to also be N only but that doesn't guarantee me that im connected to the 2.4 rather then the 5.0 channels(both are set to N only and 5.0 set to 80mhz)
I wonder how this hybrid thing works
so probably the only was to verify its ac is to totally disable that 2.4 channel and force it to use the 5.0?
but then how does it know to use that "hybrid" crazy fast mode:) ?
anyway sorry for the many questions I just really use the max speed trasfering a lot of big files from my testing machine to that wireless on that's why I need the max I can squeeze out of it(on daily basis)

Best solution

a c 202 F Wireless
January 30, 2013 9:55:15 PM

If you are only connecting to that one ac capable machine, you really don't need the 2.4GHz channel. However, if you have phones and stuff connecting then you need to leave it on. If you are getting good speeds that is pretty much what you can expect for now. I would anticipate future firmware updates that improve performance, as you are currently an advanced beta tester. :) 
January 30, 2013 11:34:29 PM

Best answer selected by turbomcp.
January 30, 2013 11:35:26 PM

Thanks for all the info
yes, i have bunch of n capable laptops and devices
so ill guess ill leave it on, i was sure those can also connect over 5.0
a c 202 F Wireless
January 31, 2013 12:56:07 PM

I would test out the best combination of 2.4 and 5GHz for all your devices, depending on the wireless signals in your vicinity -- you can check out all the 2.4 and 5GHz signals and strengths with a free wifi detection program inSSIDer so you can minimize channel interference. I doubt there is much on 5 around you, but 2.4 can be busy. If your 2.4 is pretty clean, you can devote the 5GHz to the 80MHz band that is AC only, otherwise you can use 40GHz channel N. That ASUS router really smoked the rest in Tom's early testing article in AC and N.
a c 202 F Wireless
January 31, 2013 1:07:55 PM

Should be 40MHz channel N -- can't seem to edit the prior message. :) 
January 31, 2013 4:53:07 PM

RealBeast said:
I would test out the best combination of 2.4 and 5GHz for all your devices, depending on the wireless signals in your vicinity -- you can check out all the 2.4 and 5GHz signals and strengths with a free wifi detection program inSSIDer so you can minimize channel interference. I doubt there is much on 5 around you, but 2.4 can be busy. If your 2.4 is pretty clean, you can devote the 5GHz to the 80MHz band that is AC only, otherwise you can use 40GHz channel N. That ASUS router really smoked the rest in Tom's early testing article in AC and N.

thanks
the utility shows me my 5 channel max is 450?
is that right?
a c 202 F Wireless
January 31, 2013 6:33:59 PM

That (450Mbps) is the maximum transfer rate for three stream (3x3) N or one stream (1x1) AC, however, AFAIK they have not yet updated inSSIDer to work with AC so it is probably an N measurement.

I think that they are working on an update for inSSIDer, as their pro product (Chanalyzer) is AC compatible.
February 1, 2013 8:24:38 PM

Thanks again
!