Sign in with
Your question

high/low density SDRAM

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
March 9, 2003 5:43:18 PM

I have a pretty basic question I'm hoping someone here can answer. I have an Asus A7V133 motherboard and I origianlly had 1 stick of 256mb RAM that is apparently low density (16 chips on the board - double sided). I recently ordered a 512 mb stick which is of higher density (fewer chips, only mounted on one side). Either stick works fine by itself but the computer locks up when they're in togehter so is it impossible to mix high density and low density or is it just these two particular chips that are incompatible?

Thanks,
Chris

More about : high low density sdram

March 9, 2003 6:58:25 PM

Many computers dont like high density ram at all. some wont even post with it.
if u can try returning the 512 high density for a low density stick. try to get the same brand as the 128 stick also.
Low density sticks will also overclock better.
a b } Memory
March 10, 2003 3:03:33 AM

That chipset best supported modules with a density of 256mbit or less. That means it worked best with

512MB modules that were 16-chip,
256MB modules that were either 8 or 16-chip,
128MB modules that were either 4, 8, or 16-chip,
etc.

VIA chipsets sometimes do something that Intel chipsets don't do, that would be running with an improper density module and pretending like there's no problem...until you make a discovery like the one you just did.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 11, 2003 11:14:26 PM

and some of you give recomandation to use VIA or SIS chipset

[-peep-] french
March 12, 2003 2:29:14 AM

Thanks for the help... The problem isn't that the memory sticks don't work - each one works fine by itself. The problem is that they won't work together. I was trying to figure out if it's because one is high density (the 512) and the other is low density (the 256) or if it's some other reason. I guess I just don't see why different densities would matter as long as the motherboard recognizes each one individually.

Chris
a b } Memory
March 12, 2003 2:32:30 AM

I think the density of the new module is too high. This is what I meant. It's possible that the use of the super high density module makes the chipset unable to read any other modules.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
March 12, 2003 2:33:05 AM

Actually, when I put this machine together in November of 2000, you couldn't get a better performance/price ratio and it's been solid ever since then. I've never had any problems other than this one and I don't think this is the motherboard's fault. I'd have to say I've been quite happy with the A7V133...

Chris
March 12, 2003 4:24:32 AM

In the past I have had problems mixing single and double sided modules on the same board. Especially with Samsung and Infeneon brands.

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
!