rant against EA's online policy

Why the F do you need a online timecard to play EA games online? Why the
heck can't they just allow hosting of games by Gamespy? I just don't get
it.

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:10:14 -0400, "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Why the F do you need a online timecard to play EA games online? Why the
>heck can't they just allow hosting of games by Gamespy? I just don't get
>it.

Because they are numbnuts.

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Why the F do you need a online timecard to play EA games online? Why the
> heck can't they just allow hosting of games by Gamespy? I just don't get
> it.

What game in particular are you talking about? Most EA games have a direct
connection component. Use that instead.

What EA and a lot of other gaming companies are beginning to understand is
that some gamers want things the easy way. So they set up servers and
provide this and that and then later, once the user has gotten used to
things, may start charging for it.

I wouldn't jump on Gamespy or any of the EA controlled servers even if I was
paid to do it. Find some buds who also play the same game and then use DC.
That way you're not waylaid by Gamespy's nonsense (advertising and the like)
or the need to be dependent on something else, which later will cost money.

Alanb

"Alan Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote in message
> What game in particular are you talking about? Most EA games have a
direct
> connection component. Use that instead.

Tiger Woods 2004.

I signed up to play online, and it turns out 14 days later I need a
timecard or somesuch. Maybe I threw it out, I don't remember.

If they are worried about piracy, couldn't they authenticate using the CD
key?

Maybe I will play Links 2003 online instead. Although I sort of like the
horizontal mouse swing in TW 2004.

> "Alan Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote in message
> > What game in particular are you talking about? Most EA games have a
> direct
> > connection component. Use that instead.
> >

> Tiger Woods 2004.
>
> I signed up to play online, and it turns out 14 days later I need a
> timecard or somesuch. Maybe I threw it out, I don't remember.
>
> If they are worried about piracy, couldn't they authenticate using the
CD
> key?
>
> Maybe I will play Links 2003 online instead. Although I sort of like
the
> horizontal mouse swing in TW 2004.

As I said, use direct connect, IP-to-IP. You need no timecard for that.
You just have to find people to go online with, instead of having everyone
gather in one place.

That's the way Links 2003 is: you have to find someone. There is no central
server.

There are a lot of people who just don't know how to find someone to go
online with, that's why they resort to EA's pitiful online set up. EA knows
that.

But if you just look around, there's plenty of people who play these games,
IP-to-IP.

> As I said, use direct connect, IP-to-IP. You need no timecard for that.
> You just have to find people to go online with, instead of having everyone
> gather in one place.

But why doesn't Gamespy host a matchmaking service? I don't know anybody
else who wants to play Tiger Woods online.

Just an update. I contacted EA and discussed the matter with them, and
they helped me get a new number for their online service. I'm still not
thrilled that Gamespy and others don't host playermatching services, but
this is better than nothing I guess.