Sign in with
Your question

cheap good quality sound card

Last response: in Components
March 9, 2003 6:13:56 PM

can anyone recommend a good quality sound card that is good for gaming, watching movies and listening to music? i am currently using the onboard sound on my elitegroup k7s5a motherboard and am looking to upgrade to a sound card, preferably with audio outputs to go with the tv out on my graphics card. uk pounds only please!
current pc specs:
elitegroup k7s5a motherboard
2000+ athlon xp cpu
256mb ddr 2100 ram
ati radeon 7500 64mb ddr graphics card
10gig 5400 hard drive (going to add a second 60gig hd shortly)
cd rewriter drive
dvd drive
using on board sound

mig
'the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didnt exist'
March 9, 2003 7:24:35 PM

Not long ago there were a real glut of Sound Blaster PCI-128s floating around for about $20cdn (less than $17us)... good card, excellent midi rendering... if you can find one.

---> <b>Press ALT-F4 for IQ test</b><---
March 10, 2003 3:36:12 AM

I don't know about the exact sound solution used in ECS K7S5A but remember that almost all cheap sound cards these days use the same chip/codec as those used onboard the newer mainboards (e.g. CMedia or Fortemedia chips/codecs). This means that you probably won't get anything new from buying very cheap cards.

For under $50, Hercules Fortissimo III is very good value with good quality sound and it performs well in games. Creative's Audigy (around $65) is another option that may do a bit better in newer games and is a very good sounding card for the price.
Related resources
March 11, 2003 4:16:14 AM

You Can Can try A Creative 512,Which worked really well for me for years.And you can still get them new.Im now useing a Audigy Gamer.Only Becuase im useing a 5.1 systom.I still have the 512 card after 5 years.When its hooked up to my old YST Yamaha 2.1 Speakers,It beats most of the new ones..Flat out as far as Loud and Driving.....128s get bashed a lot as far as Sound cards.Coming from a Loyal Creative Fan from day one.The 512 worked Very well with DVDs and Gameplay. Its just a thought.....
March 13, 2003 6:46:30 PM

I was using onboard sound. I just upgraded to the Hercules Fortissimo III. It sounds great. I bought it online from NewEgg for $48 dollars (including shipping). There are certainly cheaper cards on the market, but this seems well worth the price.

It did take some tuning to get it to work though. I have a VIA chipset and had to download the latest drivers to make it work. In all fairness downloading the latest drivers was probably something that I should have done anyway.
March 14, 2003 5:33:31 AM

Another vote for the Fortissmo III. I use it with my MSI 745 SIS chipset motherboard and an XP1800. It works flawlessly. Big improvement over the onboard sound. BF1942 became a different game with this sound card-I was missing alot of sounds with the onboard sound. Music is also much improved.

Mikal
!