What to slavage from old hi-fi's

Last response: in Home Audio
February 13, 2005 3:56:14 PM

I am about to dump two busted stereo receivers of 70's and 80's
vintage, a Proton D940 and a Kenwood KH-4070. I have grabbed the knobs
off them, and the wooden endplates from the Kenwood.

Is there anything else worth saving from the inside?

I know, a real scavenger would keep both of them forever, but the wife
says they got to go.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

More about : slavage

February 13, 2005 3:56:15 PM

Willie K.Yee, M.D. wrote:
> I am about to dump two busted stereo receivers of 70's and 80's
> vintage, a Proton D940 and a Kenwood KH-4070. I have grabbed the
knobs
> off them, and the wooden endplates from the Kenwood.
>
> Is there anything else worth saving from the inside?
>
> I know, a real scavenger would keep both of them forever, but the
wife
> says they got to go.
>

> Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
> Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry
http://www.pkc.com
> Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band
http://www.bigbluebigband.org

EBAY is your friend!
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 4:04:44 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:56:14 GMT, wkyee@bestweb.netttttttttttttttt
(Willie K.Yee, M.D.) wrote:

>I am about to dump two busted stereo receivers of 70's and 80's
>vintage, a Proton D940 and a Kenwood KH-4070. I have grabbed the knobs
>off them, and the wooden endplates from the Kenwood.
>
>Is there anything else worth saving from the inside?
>
>I know, a real scavenger would keep both of them forever, but the wife
>says they got to go.

Don't forget the mains plugs.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
February 13, 2005 5:11:18 PM

In article <420f4d8d.1567938@nntp.bestweb.net> wkyeeATbestwebDOTnet writes:

> I am about to dump two busted stereo receivers of 70's and 80's
> vintage, a Proton D940 and a Kenwood KH-4070. I have grabbed the knobs
> off them, and the wooden endplates from the Kenwood.
>
> Is there anything else worth saving from the inside?

Probably not for yourself, but offer them up to someone who wants to
convert their old LPs to CD, has a turntable, but no RIAA equalized
preamp.

February 13, 2005 8:53:11 PM

"Willie K.Yee, M.D." <wkyee@bestweb.netttttttttttttttt> wrote in message
> I am about to dump two busted stereo receivers of 70's and 80's
> vintage, a Proton D940 and a Kenwood KH-4070. I have grabbed the knobs
> off them, and the wooden endplates from the Kenwood.
>
> Is there anything else worth saving from the inside?
>
> I know, a real scavenger would keep both of them forever, but the wife
> says they got to go.

If you do your own repair work, or build DIY projects, you might salvage the
power transformers (if they're not blown) and heatsinks. And retrieve any
unblown fuses from their holders. Otherwise, no.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 9:19:36 PM

(Willie K.Yee, M.D.) wrote:

>Is there anything else worth saving from the inside?

The aluminum front panels and heatsinks can be recycled.

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:44:35 AM

On 13 Feb 2005 14:11:18 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
wrote:
>> Is there anything else worth saving from the inside?
>
>Probably not for yourself, but offer them up to someone who wants to
>convert their old LPs to CD, has a turntable, but no RIAA equalized
>preamp.

Yours if you come pick 'em up. :-)
!