Toshiba/Audiovox VM4050

Last response: in Network Providers
July 12, 2004 7:19:26 PM

Hello,

Can someone using this phone currently please give me feedback on your
satisfaction with the phone? I have a Sanyo 5150, and am thinking of
making the change for a camera phone in the near future. I am primarily
interested in signal strength/quality, then availability of ringers,
camera..etc.

Am also looking at the Sanyo 8200, been happy with my Sanyo's quality so
far so any feedback is appreciated.

TIA
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 9:14:15 PM

Hi,

Both myself and my son had the 4050. Both phones had the same problems. They
both would lock up in the phone book, plus would give a code on the outside
window saying "I" "operations" that would take 1/2 the screen. Sprint said
it was a code meaning internet was online. Well, you could take the battery
out and wait 1 minute put battery back in and it would say the same thing.

I"m sure all 4050 are not bad, also limited apps and games are available for
it, very limited. Check out what you want to put on the phone and see if it
is comaptible before you make a decision.

Just my 2cents, not worth it. I took both my phones back into the sprint
store, only had them for 1 week, and they gave me 2 of the spc5500/vm4500.
These are the best phones I've had so far. Excellent signal strength, great
camera.

Good luck in your search

"elixir" <elixir@ethereal.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Can someone using this phone currently please give me feedback on your
> satisfaction with the phone? I have a Sanyo 5150, and am thinking of
> making the change for a camera phone in the near future. I am primarily
> interested in signal strength/quality, then availability of ringers,
> camera..etc.
>
> Am also looking at the Sanyo 8200, been happy with my Sanyo's quality so
> far so any feedback is appreciated.
>
> TIA
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 9:14:16 PM

"HOG2K" <hog2kNOSPAM@insight.rr.com> wrote in message news:<HFzIc.148$G71.147@fe1.columbus.rr.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Both myself and my son had the 4050. Both phones had the same problems. They
> both would lock up in the phone book, plus would give a code on the outside
> window saying "I" "operations" that would take 1/2 the screen. Sprint said
> it was a code meaning internet was online. Well, you could take the battery
> out and wait 1 minute put battery back in and it would say the same thing.
>
> I"m sure all 4050 are not bad, also limited apps and games are available for
> it, very limited. Check out what you want to put on the phone and see if it
> is comaptible before you make a decision.
>
> Just my 2cents, not worth it. I took both my phones back into the sprint
> store, only had them for 1 week, and they gave me 2 of the spc5500/vm4500.
> These are the best phones I've had so far. Excellent signal strength, great
> camera.
>
> Good luck in your search
>

> "elixir" <elixir@ethereal.net> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can someone using this phone currently please give me feedback on your
> > satisfaction with the phone? I have a Sanyo 5150, and am thinking of
> > making the change for a camera phone in the near future. I am primarily
> > interested in signal strength/quality, then availability of ringers,
> > camera..etc.
> >
> > Am also looking at the Sanyo 8200, been happy with my Sanyo's quality so
> > far so any feedback is appreciated.
> >
> > TIA

I thought the earpiece sound was a little too low even when maxed out.
I also thought the external display was below average. Size is a
little bigger than what I wanted. Other than that it's a good phone.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 1:48:42 AM

Had mine since March with no problems, never had it lock up as in the previous
post. Signal strenght is great (I live and work in Queens, New York). It's
better or just as good everywhere I've been as compared to the Timeport I had
before. The camera is as good as any camera phone on the market, but definately
not up to the same level as a seperate state of the art digital camera. The
phone has excellent sound quality and volume as well as a dynamite display.You
can upload ringers and screen savers even without a data cable. I use the focus
uploader at sprintusers.com. Check out sprintusers.com for more info. They have
alot of reviews and useful info for anyone planning a phone purchase. I think
the Toshiba VM4050 is a great phone and I'm totally satisfied with mine. It
reminds me alot in size, shape, feel and quality of the old StarTac/Timeports.
July 13, 2004 2:05:19 AM

Mine's done what I wanted it too.

It can play all of the ringers I've downloaded.

It plays the java games I download from the net.

The camera, I believe is the highest res picture phone on the market
right now. Keep in mind to send to someone with a low res phone, they
won't see the difference. You can send them to your pc and the res is
640 x 480...fair, but not 3.1 megapixel, and there is a little
tunneling effect for landscape like pictures.

I've noticed that the apps in the vision service (the ones you pay
for, like the weather channel radar) are not supported.

No problems with the address book.

And probably most important to me....It supports 99 voice command
entries internally!

Nice alarm clock feature too.....Stores sent text msg history....I
guess I'm saying that I'm happy with the phone.

One word of advice...if you're a current customer and not eligible for
rebates, haggle with Customer Service for the price of the
phone...they should come down a bit.

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:19:26 GMT, elixir <elixir@ethereal.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Can someone using this phone currently please give me feedback on your
>satisfaction with the phone? I have a Sanyo 5150, and am thinking of
>making the change for a camera phone in the near future. I am primarily
>interested in signal strength/quality, then availability of ringers,
>camera..etc.
>
>Am also looking at the Sanyo 8200, been happy with my Sanyo's quality so
>far so any feedback is appreciated.
>
>TIA
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 7:19:09 AM

Thanks to all who responded so far. Can you tell me what kind of files the
phone plays as ringtones? -- my Sanyo 5150 will play only midis & I'd like
some better quality tones.

So its really come down to this phone & a Sanyo 8200. I suppose I'll
continue my research a bit more.
July 14, 2004 2:05:00 AM

It does polyphonic and voice ringtones.

!