How should I spend $500?

Socrates877

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
Right now I have a sound blaster live and FPS2000 4 point speakers. I have about $500 to burn and I'm thinking of putting that towards improving my computer sound. I play 3D games, watch DVD's, and listen to mp3's whenever I'm not doing either of the other two. I'm not interested in rattling the windows but I do get the music loud enough so I can't hear someone yelling at me from downstairs ;). I'm certainly not an audiophile but I still like crisp sound.

Here's something else that you might know. There's an off chance that I might inherit some NHT stereo speakers. If I do, are they any good for playing games? How would I hook them up to my computer? What kind of amp/receiver, cables adapters and whatnot would I need?

Thanks for your suggestions!

If I don't believe in a god, can I still wage jihad on people who buy compaq?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
On connecting your sound card to stereo speakers...

You will need at least a stereo power amp to drive the speakers. You can also use an integrated preamp/poweramp or a receiver with auxiliary inputs. Depending on the efficiency and size of the speakers you may need anything from 5 watts rms per channel to more than a hundred watts...

Connection is simple, all you need is an adapter cord with a mini-stereo plug on one end to go into your sound card's line output and two rca plugs on the other to connect to the inputs of the amplifier. Radio Shack sells these in various lengths from about 2 feet to 25 feet, many computer stores sell them also.

If you are using a power amp (i.e. not a receiver or integrated amp) you would operate your volume controls from the window's volume appy.

If you are using a receiver or integrated amp, you would set the windows appy at about 3/4 volume and operate the volume from the amp itself.

<b>BUT</b> be warned... most stereo speakers are not magnetically sheilded. This can play hell with floppy disks and CRT based monitors if they are set too close. To be sure get a compass (any cheap one will do) and go near the sides and back of the speakers with it... if it leaves magnetic north to point at the speakers, they aren't sheilded and you should be careful to keep them away from your computer.

---> <b>Press ALT-F4 for IQ test</b><---