Coverage Related Question - Travelling

I'm going to be taking a trip in the next two days from El Paso, TX (the
farthest west in Texas you can get), to Austin, TX. For the most part, I'll
be on I-10 and I-35. I'm wondering if anyones drove this route (either to,
or from, or driving through El Paso to somewhere) -- and if so, what was/is
coverage like between here and there. I've looked at many maps, and some of
them -appear- as though I'll be digital roaming a good portion of the way,
but I'm just preparing myself for any areas where I may have no service. I
used to have AT&T about six years ago with the digital one rate plan, and
coverage between San Antonio and El Paso was pretty good (most analog) so
I'm hoping the same will hold true w/ Sprint.

Also, I have F&CA, and I'm wondering, not only is roaming covered, but is
long distance as well? Say I use my phone in the middle of no-where, it's
not gonna charge me for long distance either, right?

Thanks

Boxerman -
To make sure you have the most digital roaming, make sure your phone has
the latest PRL, which is 10024. Your phone has a menu choice (may be 2
or more levels deep) labeled 'version' or 'phone info' which will list
the PRL number. 10024 offers the most digital roaming. Lower numbers
are older.

If you don't have 10024, call *2, say "PRL update" to Claire, then ask
the person "please flag my phone for a PRL update." After he or she
flags it, you call *2 again and listen to a one-minute recording while
Claire tells your that she "recognizes that a free update is available
for your phone..." and installs it. Afterwards, check your menu again
that you have 10024. Some phones must be powered off and on again to
show the new number.

"Boxerman" <boxermansr@none.of.yours.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to be taking a trip in the next two days from El Paso, TX (the
> farthest west in Texas you can get), to Austin, TX. For the most part,
I'll
> be on I-10 and I-35. I'm wondering if anyones drove this route (either to,
> or from, or driving through El Paso to somewhere) -- and if so, what
was/is
> coverage like between here and there. I've looked at many maps, and some
of
> them -appear- as though I'll be digital roaming a good portion of the way,
> but I'm just preparing myself for any areas where I may have no service. I
> used to have AT&T about six years ago with the digital one rate plan, and
> coverage between San Antonio and El Paso was pretty good (most analog) so
> I'm hoping the same will hold true w/ Sprint.
>
> Also, I have F&CA, and I'm wondering, not only is roaming covered, but is
> long distance as well? Say I use my phone in the middle of no-where, it's
> not gonna charge me for long distance either, right?

Can't answer the questions on TX, but to answer the above, Yes and Yes. No
extra roaming expenses.

> Thanks

I recently traveled that way from Miami to LA in my 18 wheeler. Leaving the
San Antonio area, I had about 45 mins of analog roaming then it was digital
roaming all the way to El Paso's SPCS service w/ a Nokia 3588i. Make sure
you have XM or Sirius satellite radio or alot of CD's-you go through the
middle of no-where. You'll see on the analog roaming map that almost the
whole state of TX has coverage. By the way, the farthest west in TX you can
get is Anthony at the 0 exit.

Chris

"Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
>I recently traveled that way from Miami to LA in my 18 wheeler. Leaving
>the San Antonio area, I had about 45 mins of analog roaming then it was
>digital roaming all the way to El Paso's SPCS service w/ a Nokia 3588i.
>Make sure you have XM or Sirius satellite radio or alot of CD's-you go
>through the middle of no-where. You'll see on the analog roaming map that
>almost the whole state of TX has coverage. By the way, the farthest west
>in TX you can get is Anthony at the 0 exit.
>
> Chris

So I'll pretty much be covered digital for the greatest part of the trip? If
so, that's really good news. Very true about the Anthony exit 0 thing, but
c'mon Anthony is barely a city, then again so is El Paso. :)

I have the most current PRL. I try to pretty much keep up with everything in
regards to PRL's, firmware, etc. I'm just trying go gauge, more or less,
what kind of coverage pockets I'm gonna run into.

"Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
> Boxerman -
> To make sure you have the most digital roaming, make sure your phone has
> the latest PRL, which is 10024. Your phone has a menu choice (may be 2 or
> more levels deep) labeled 'version' or 'phone info' which will list the
> PRL number. 10024 offers the most digital roaming. Lower numbers are
> older.
>
> If you don't have 10024, call *2, say "PRL update" to Claire, then ask the
> person "please flag my phone for a PRL update." After he or she flags it,
> you call *2 again and listen to a one-minute recording while Claire tells
> your that she "recognizes that a free update is available for your
> phone..." and installs it. Afterwards, check your menu again that you
> have 10024. Some phones must be powered off and on again to show the new
> number.
>
> --
> Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A620

My reply was when I had 10023-no problems and 10024 probably won't make much
difference as Verizon wireless ends about the same point W of San Antonio.

Chris

"Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
> Boxerman -
> To make sure you have the most digital roaming, make sure your phone has
> the latest PRL, which is 10024. Your phone has a menu choice (may be 2 or
> more levels deep) labeled 'version' or 'phone info' which will list the
> PRL number. 10024 offers the most digital roaming. Lower numbers are
> older.
>
> If you don't have 10024, call *2, say "PRL update" to Claire, then ask the
> person "please flag my phone for a PRL update." After he or she flags it,
> you call *2 again and listen to a one-minute recording while Claire tells
> your that she "recognizes that a free update is available for your
> phone..." and installs it. Afterwards, check your menu again that you
> have 10024. Some phones must be powered off and on again to show the new
> number.
>
> --
> Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A620

TRENDING THREADS