Best Golf Game to go for?

Hi all,

Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
version of that one the one to look for?

Many thanks

PH
10 answers Last reply
More about best golf game
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
    <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
    >there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
    >version of that one the one to look for?
    >
    >Many thanks
    >
    >PH

    Tiger Woods 2004 is fantastic and selling for $20. Even if you play
    it for two months then buy Tiger Woods 2005, you may still need
    courses on the 2004 version. You may decide to pass on the 2005
    version or wait for it to hit $20. I would still pick up Tiger Woods
    2004.

    Regards,

    javajeff
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Tiger Woods 2004 or Links 2003. Both are good. My nod goes to Tiger
    Woods 2004 for the fast, fun gameplay, and the good career mode and season
    play (career mode is like a roleplaying game combined with golf, you invest
    in attribute points and it makes the game easier, it will "help" out a bad
    swing or a bad hit from a bunker, depending on what you invest in. Season
    mode is pure simulation with no "help". Also, there are far more swing
    options in Tiger Woods for the mouse swing (vertical and horizontal), as
    well as an easy setting and 3-click. Links 2003 has only vertical mouse
    swing that isn't as realistic (not really tempo dependent), Powerstroke in
    Links is harder and is a horizontal "swing", but IMO, it is much harder than
    real golf- too easy to fluff a hit with a heel or toe and have it go 10
    yards or so- it does have a good "impact" feeling, but it can't make up for
    the difficulty.

    You might want to pick up Links 2003, but maybe as an afterthought.
    There are alot of good courses for it, but the gameplay is a little slower,
    literally it can take the computer several seconds to redraw a screen, even
    on a high end computer, and the AI spends a few seconds thinking, sometimes.
    But the graphics, IMO, are a little better in Links 2003 than Tiger Woods
    (Links looks photorealistic, at least at a distance, whereas Tiger Woods
    looks "video game"). Tiger Woods 2004 is harder to install downloaded
    courses than Links- most often with Tiger Woods you also have to download
    custom libraries, whereas Links packages it all together (making for bigger
    downloads).
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Thanks for the advice guys,

    Picked up Tiger Woods 2004 for just £9.99 on Friday so will give that
    a bash first and then maybe Links 2003 as I have seen that pretty
    cheap too.

    Cheers

    PH

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
    <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
    >there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
    >version of that one the one to look for?
    >
    >Many thanks
    >
    >PH
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Hoops74 wrote:
    > Thanks for the advice guys,
    >
    > Picked up Tiger Woods 2004 for just £9.99 on Friday so will give that
    > a bash first and then maybe Links 2003 as I have seen that pretty
    > cheap too.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > PH
    >
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
    > <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
    >>there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
    >>version of that one the one to look for?
    >>
    >>Many thanks
    >>
    >>PH

    I didn't see your original message until now. Did you enjoy playing the
    Links 2001 Virtual Tournament? If so, then you probably will be very
    disappointed in Links 2003; because they dropped the good Virtual
    Tournament and added what they called Career Mode. The Career Mode is
    terrible. All the AI players scores are totally unrealistic which
    ruined it for me. Also the "season" can only be 12 tournament long; so
    you can not simulate the full PGA Tour season.

    If you don't care about tournaments Links 2003 changes from Links 2001
    offers a "Real Time Swing"; but that only works by a vertical mouse
    movement which I can't get used to as I prefer a horizontal mouse movement.

    The courses do have improved visual quality as textures have improved
    and there is a more close-up view which I do like. You still have a lot
    of courses to download and play.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:18:21 GMT, Phil Pease <ppease5@mchsi.com>
    wrote:

    >I didn't see your original message until now. Did you enjoy playing the
    >Links 2001 Virtual Tournament? If so, then you probably will be very
    >disappointed in Links 2003; because they dropped the good Virtual
    >Tournament and added what they called Career Mode. The Career Mode is
    >terrible. All the AI players scores are totally unrealistic which
    >ruined it for me. Also the "season" can only be 12 tournament long; so
    >you can not simulate the full PGA Tour season.

    It's been reported on Linkscorner that Mark Hulka has been contracted
    by MS to do another patch for LS2003. This patch is for bug fixes
    only, no new features will be added. Mark has asked what people want
    fixed most, and the CM is at at the top of the list, so there may be
    some hope it will finally get fixed.

    But I agree, I still prefer the VT mode in 2001, which I play more
    than 2003.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    I want them to find a way to speed up Links 2003. The game is painfully
    slow at times. Also, they need to get rid of the "rendering finished, press
    any button to continue". That's ridiculous.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    javajeff <NOSPAMjavajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message news:<5p02g05qsbeja7rtoc25f0bkttjm25b1o7@4ax.com>...
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
    > <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
    > >there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
    > >version of that one the one to look for?
    > >
    > >Many thanks
    > >
    > >PH
    >
    > Tiger Woods 2004 is fantastic and selling for $20. Even if you play
    > it for two months then buy Tiger Woods 2005, you may still need
    > courses on the 2004 version. You may decide to pass on the 2005
    > version or wait for it to hit $20. I would still pick up Tiger Woods
    > 2004.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > javajeff

    I will sell Tiger Woods 2004 for $10 + shipping. Anyone interests just
    e-mail me.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    javajeff <NOSPAMjavajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message news:<5p02g05qsbeja7rtoc25f0bkttjm25b1o7@4ax.com>...
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
    > <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
    > >there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
    > >version of that one the one to look for?
    > >
    > >Many thanks
    > >
    > >PH
    >
    > Tiger Woods 2004 is fantastic and selling for $20. Even if you play
    > it for two months then buy Tiger Woods 2005, you may still need
    > courses on the 2004 version. You may decide to pass on the 2005
    > version or wait for it to hit $20. I would still pick up Tiger Woods
    > 2004.

    I recently picked up a copy of TW2002, it was on clearance.

    I like the way it plays and everything...True Swing, Tournament
    Challenge, etc.

    My only problem with it is that it's too easy, even with the difficult
    pin placements...

    Is 2004 "harder"/more realistic and is it a challenge to make par?

    I suppose you need the 3-D graphics card to play it online, too...
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    TW 2004 is indeed harder than TW 2002. The slope and wind come into play
    much more realistically. It also plays a lot smoother on most computers as
    TW 2002 was poorly optimized, IMO.

    I don't know what frustrated me first about TW 2002, the sluggish
    performance or the ease of gameplay, but whatever it was, TW 2002 didn't
    stay on my hard drive for more than two months. I've played TW 2004 since
    the day it came out, and continue to play it.

    "888eight888" <bz811@go.com> wrote in message
    > javajeff <NOSPAMjavajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
    > > <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi all,
    > > >
    > > >Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
    > > >there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
    > > >version of that one the one to look for?
    > > >
    > > >Many thanks
    > > >
    > > >PH
    > >
    > > Tiger Woods 2004 is fantastic and selling for $20. Even if you play
    > > it for two months then buy Tiger Woods 2005, you may still need
    > > courses on the 2004 version. You may decide to pass on the 2005
    > > version or wait for it to hit $20. I would still pick up Tiger Woods
    > > 2004.
    >
    > I recently picked up a copy of TW2002, it was on clearance.
    >
    > I like the way it plays and everything...True Swing, Tournament
    > Challenge, etc.
    >
    > My only problem with it is that it's too easy, even with the difficult
    > pin placements...
    >
    > Is 2004 "harder"/more realistic and is it a challenge to make par?
    >
    > I suppose you need the 3-D graphics card to play it online, too...
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I want them to find a way to speed up Links 2003. The game is
    painfully
    > slow at times. Also, they need to get rid of the "rendering finished,
    press
    > any button to continue". That's ridiculous.

    I think this slowness is the result of poorly designed user courses,
    provided you have the hardware to play the game.

    Also, if you have a GeForce card, don't use some of the earlier drivers. If
    you do, your rendering times will last as long as it will take the Indians
    to win a World Series. Update the drivers and you should be fine.

    As far as the little pop-ups that appear, if you click on your right mouse
    button as soon as they appear, you'll hardly notice them. I've gotten so
    good at doing that, that it now just seems to be routine.

    Alanb

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games