Best Golf Game to go for?

Last response: in Video Games
July 23, 2004 12:51:10 AM

Hi all,

Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
version of that one the one to look for?

Many thanks

PH

More about : golf game

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:25:03 PM

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
<Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
>there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
>version of that one the one to look for?
>
>Many thanks
>
>PH

Tiger Woods 2004 is fantastic and selling for $20. Even if you play
it for two months then buy Tiger Woods 2005, you may still need
courses on the 2004 version. You may decide to pass on the 2005
version or wait for it to hit $20. I would still pick up Tiger Woods
2004.

Regards,

javajeff
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 12:53:01 PM

Tiger Woods 2004 or Links 2003. Both are good. My nod goes to Tiger
Woods 2004 for the fast, fun gameplay, and the good career mode and season
play (career mode is like a roleplaying game combined with golf, you invest
in attribute points and it makes the game easier, it will "help" out a bad
swing or a bad hit from a bunker, depending on what you invest in. Season
mode is pure simulation with no "help". Also, there are far more swing
options in Tiger Woods for the mouse swing (vertical and horizontal), as
well as an easy setting and 3-click. Links 2003 has only vertical mouse
swing that isn't as realistic (not really tempo dependent), Powerstroke in
Links is harder and is a horizontal "swing", but IMO, it is much harder than
real golf- too easy to fluff a hit with a heel or toe and have it go 10
yards or so- it does have a good "impact" feeling, but it can't make up for
the difficulty.

You might want to pick up Links 2003, but maybe as an afterthought.
There are alot of good courses for it, but the gameplay is a little slower,
literally it can take the computer several seconds to redraw a screen, even
on a high end computer, and the AI spends a few seconds thinking, sometimes.
But the graphics, IMO, are a little better in Links 2003 than Tiger Woods
(Links looks photorealistic, at least at a distance, whereas Tiger Woods
looks "video game"). Tiger Woods 2004 is harder to install downloaded
courses than Links- most often with Tiger Woods you also have to download
custom libraries, whereas Links packages it all together (making for bigger
downloads).
July 25, 2004 1:30:47 PM

Thanks for the advice guys,

Picked up Tiger Woods 2004 for just £9.99 on Friday so will give that
a bash first and then maybe Links 2003 as I have seen that pretty
cheap too.

Cheers

PH

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
<Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
>there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
>version of that one the one to look for?
>
>Many thanks
>
>PH
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 5:18:21 PM

Hoops74 wrote:
> Thanks for the advice guys,
>
> Picked up Tiger Woods 2004 for just £9.99 on Friday so will give that
> a bash first and then maybe Links 2003 as I have seen that pretty
> cheap too.
>
> Cheers
>
> PH
>
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
> <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
>>there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
>>version of that one the one to look for?
>>
>>Many thanks
>>
>>PH

I didn't see your original message until now. Did you enjoy playing the
Links 2001 Virtual Tournament? If so, then you probably will be very
disappointed in Links 2003; because they dropped the good Virtual
Tournament and added what they called Career Mode. The Career Mode is
terrible. All the AI players scores are totally unrealistic which
ruined it for me. Also the "season" can only be 12 tournament long; so
you can not simulate the full PGA Tour season.

If you don't care about tournaments Links 2003 changes from Links 2001
offers a "Real Time Swing"; but that only works by a vertical mouse
movement which I can't get used to as I prefer a horizontal mouse movement.

The courses do have improved visual quality as textures have improved
and there is a more close-up view which I do like. You still have a lot
of courses to download and play.
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 12:20:36 AM

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:18:21 GMT, Phil Pease <ppease5@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>I didn't see your original message until now. Did you enjoy playing the
>Links 2001 Virtual Tournament? If so, then you probably will be very
>disappointed in Links 2003; because they dropped the good Virtual
>Tournament and added what they called Career Mode. The Career Mode is
>terrible. All the AI players scores are totally unrealistic which
>ruined it for me. Also the "season" can only be 12 tournament long; so
>you can not simulate the full PGA Tour season.

It's been reported on Linkscorner that Mark Hulka has been contracted
by MS to do another patch for LS2003. This patch is for bug fixes
only, no new features will be added. Mark has asked what people want
fixed most, and the CM is at at the top of the list, so there may be
some hope it will finally get fixed.

But I agree, I still prefer the VT mode in 2001, which I play more
than 2003.
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 5:25:04 AM

I want them to find a way to speed up Links 2003. The game is painfully
slow at times. Also, they need to get rid of the "rendering finished, press
any button to continue". That's ridiculous.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 5:02:58 AM

javajeff <NOSPAMjavajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message news:<5p02g05qsbeja7rtoc25f0bkttjm25b1o7@4ax.com>...
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
> <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
> >there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
> >version of that one the one to look for?
> >
> >Many thanks
> >
> >PH
>
> Tiger Woods 2004 is fantastic and selling for $20. Even if you play
> it for two months then buy Tiger Woods 2005, you may still need
> courses on the 2004 version. You may decide to pass on the 2005
> version or wait for it to hit $20. I would still pick up Tiger Woods
> 2004.
>
> Regards,
>
> javajeff

I will sell Tiger Woods 2004 for $10 + shipping. Anyone interests just
e-mail me.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:52:23 PM

javajeff <NOSPAMjavajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message news:<5p02g05qsbeja7rtoc25f0bkttjm25b1o7@4ax.com>...
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
> <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
> >there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
> >version of that one the one to look for?
> >
> >Many thanks
> >
> >PH
>
> Tiger Woods 2004 is fantastic and selling for $20. Even if you play
> it for two months then buy Tiger Woods 2005, you may still need
> courses on the 2004 version. You may decide to pass on the 2005
> version or wait for it to hit $20. I would still pick up Tiger Woods
> 2004.

I recently picked up a copy of TW2002, it was on clearance.

I like the way it plays and everything...True Swing, Tournament
Challenge, etc.

My only problem with it is that it's too easy, even with the difficult
pin placements...

Is 2004 "harder"/more realistic and is it a challenge to make par?

I suppose you need the 3-D graphics card to play it online, too...
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:47:04 PM

TW 2004 is indeed harder than TW 2002. The slope and wind come into play
much more realistically. It also plays a lot smoother on most computers as
TW 2002 was poorly optimized, IMO.

I don't know what frustrated me first about TW 2002, the sluggish
performance or the ease of gameplay, but whatever it was, TW 2002 didn't
stay on my hard drive for more than two months. I've played TW 2004 since
the day it came out, and continue to play it.

"888eight888" <bz811@go.com> wrote in message
> javajeff <NOSPAMjavajeff@city-net.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:51:10 +0000 (UTC), Hoops74
> > <Hoops74@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >Just wanting a few opinions on what is the best current golf game out
> > >there to go for. Last one I had was Links 2001 so is the latest
> > >version of that one the one to look for?
> > >
> > >Many thanks
> > >
> > >PH
> >
> > Tiger Woods 2004 is fantastic and selling for $20. Even if you play
> > it for two months then buy Tiger Woods 2005, you may still need
> > courses on the 2004 version. You may decide to pass on the 2005
> > version or wait for it to hit $20. I would still pick up Tiger Woods
> > 2004.
>
> I recently picked up a copy of TW2002, it was on clearance.
>
> I like the way it plays and everything...True Swing, Tournament
> Challenge, etc.
>
> My only problem with it is that it's too easy, even with the difficult
> pin placements...
>
> Is 2004 "harder"/more realistic and is it a challenge to make par?
>
> I suppose you need the 3-D graphics card to play it online, too...
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 4:31:03 AM

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I want them to find a way to speed up Links 2003. The game is
painfully
> slow at times. Also, they need to get rid of the "rendering finished,
press
> any button to continue". That's ridiculous.

I think this slowness is the result of poorly designed user courses,
provided you have the hardware to play the game.

Also, if you have a GeForce card, don't use some of the earlier drivers. If
you do, your rendering times will last as long as it will take the Indians
to win a World Series. Update the drivers and you should be fine.

As far as the little pop-ups that appear, if you click on your right mouse
button as soon as they appear, you'll hardly notice them. I've gotten so
good at doing that, that it now just seems to be routine.

Alanb
!