Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sprint PCS coverage in the Twin Cities? - New Thread for S..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 2:17:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I was thinking of switching to Sprint PCS from AT&T GSM, because of
the 7 PM nights option.

Have any of you switched recently? Have you noticed any
decrease/increase in call quality or coverage? I don't use mobile
Internet (WAP). I only want to have the freedom to make clear calls in
a lot of places.

Please don't discuss customer service issues or anything outside the
Twin Cities. Let's keep this thread tight and focused.

Thanks for your contribution!
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 3:49:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I have had sprint in TC for the past 6 years, it has gradually become better
to where it is very good now in most areas. I cannot speak for everyone as
it depends where you are located.



--


Gene L
generide40@yahoo.com

"Bryanska" <BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
news:D b1a4da4.0407130917.45e1721b@posting.google.com...
> I was thinking of switching to Sprint PCS from AT&T GSM, because of
> the 7 PM nights option.
>
> Have any of you switched recently? Have you noticed any
> decrease/increase in call quality or coverage? I don't use mobile
> Internet (WAP). I only want to have the freedom to make clear calls in
> a lot of places.
>
> Please don't discuss customer service issues or anything outside the
> Twin Cities. Let's keep this thread tight and focused.
>
> Thanks for your contribution!
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 4:30:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On 13 Jul 2004 10:17:36 -0700, BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska)
wrote:

>I was thinking of switching to Sprint PCS from AT&T GSM, because of
>the 7 PM nights option.

Are you aware that AT&T has N&W at 7:00 pm included on non-TDMA plans
59.99 or more?

>Have any of you switched recently? Have you noticed any
>decrease/increase in call quality or coverage? I don't use mobile
>Internet (WAP). I only want to have the freedom to make clear calls in
>a lot of places.

Don't use Sprint. If you do, you will want to add the option for
"free roaming" (costs $5.00 per month), or you will find yourself
paying roaming charges every time you drop off the PCS network.
Shoreview, New Brighton and at the airport area have all been "off
network" for me when travelling there on business.




--
Deb
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 7:35:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

ddm46@att.net wrote:

> Don't use Sprint. If you do, you will want to add the option for
> "free roaming" (costs $5.00 per month), or you will find yourself
> paying roaming charges every time you drop off the PCS network.
> Shoreview, New Brighton and at the airport area have all been "off
> network" for me when travelling there on business.

Deb, does your phone work ANYWHERE?


--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 4:58:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

ddm46@att.net wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2004 10:17:36 -0700, BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska)
> wrote:
>
>>I was thinking of switching to Sprint PCS from AT&T GSM, because of
>>the 7 PM nights option.
>
> Are you aware that AT&T has N&W at 7:00 pm included on non-TDMA plans
> 59.99 or more?
>
>>Have any of you switched recently? Have you noticed any
>>decrease/increase in call quality or coverage? I don't use mobile
>>Internet (WAP). I only want to have the freedom to make clear calls in
>>a lot of places.
>
> Don't use Sprint. If you do, you will want to add the option for
> "free roaming" (costs $5.00 per month), or you will find yourself
> paying roaming charges every time you drop off the PCS network.
> Shoreview, New Brighton and at the airport area have all been "off
> network" for me when travelling there on business.
>

I live in the Twin Cities and have travelled a lot and I can say without
hesitation that the airport and Shoreview are VERY WELL covered. I can
not speak for New Brighton, as I haven't spent time there.

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 3:06:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:30:14 -0400, ddm46@att.net wrote:

>On 13 Jul 2004 10:17:36 -0700, BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska)
>wrote:
>Don't use Sprint. If you do, you will want to add the option for
>"free roaming" (costs $5.00 per month), or you will find yourself
>paying roaming charges every time you drop off the PCS network.
>Shoreview, New Brighton and at the airport area have all been "off
>network" for me when travelling there on business.

I've had very good SPCS reception at the airport (MSP), except for the
new regional jet terminal. I usually drop to analog out there.

Joseph Huber
Huber.Joseph@comcast.net
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 9:56:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Wow - I just might reconsider switching from AT&T. Though GSM doesn't
take me out into the country, I have little interest in calling at all
if I'm roaming. I know that AT&T GSM will not roam anywhere in the
Twin Cities, though I might have trouble in some buildings. In any
case, I know I'll never pay 40 cents a minute unbeknownst.

Have any of you opened your wireless bill and seen a ton of Sprint
roaming charges you didn't expect?
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 2:55:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Bryanska <BARRELBACK@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Wow - I just might reconsider switching from AT&T. Though GSM doesn't
> take me out into the country, I have little interest in calling at all
> if I'm roaming. I know that AT&T GSM will not roam anywhere in the
> Twin Cities, though I might have trouble in some buildings. In any
> case, I know I'll never pay 40 cents a minute unbeknownst.
>
> Have any of you opened your wireless bill and seen a ton of Sprint
> roaming charges you didn't expect?

It's easy to avoid them. Set your phone to Sprint Only and you won't roam.
I have PhoneGuard on my phone, also, which forces me to confirm that I want
to take a call or make a call before the call goes through, if I'm not on
Sprint's network. (I have a Samsung 660 and it's probably available on other
Sprint phones. All Sprint phones have the Sprint Only network option.)

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 2:55:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I used Sprint in the Twin Cities as far west as Buffalo, MN and was never
roaming. I also set my phone to Sprint only.
July 21, 2004 12:11:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <db1a4da4.0407200456.41aeb5e0@posting.google.com>,
BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska) wrote:

> Wow - I just might reconsider switching from AT&T. Though GSM doesn't
> take me out into the country, I have little interest in calling at all
> if I'm roaming. I know that AT&T GSM will not roam anywhere in the
> Twin Cities, though I might have trouble in some buildings. In any
> case, I know I'll never pay 40 cents a minute unbeknownst.
>
> Have any of you opened your wireless bill and seen a ton of Sprint
> roaming charges you didn't expect?

I have not seen any unexpected charges because I have my VA1000 set so I
have to press 1 to make or answer a call while in roaming mode.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 8:25:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <40fbc56c$0$226$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com>, veldy71
@yahoo.com says...
> I live in the Twin Cities and have travelled a lot and I can say without
> hesitation that the airport and Shoreview are VERY WELL covered. I can
> not speak for New Brighton, as I haven't spent time there.
>

Good info for the OP, but Deb apparently ignores any post that
disputes her claims of lack of signal.

--
RØß
O/Siris
~+~
"A thing moderately good is not so good
as it ought to be. Moderation in temper
is always a virtue, but moderation in
principle is always a vice."
Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 5:02:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Bryanska <BARRELBACK@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Have any of you opened your wireless bill and seen a ton of Sprint
> roaming charges you didn't expect?

No. Unless you disable the feature (I do because I have F&CA), your
phone will prompt you that you are roaming and give you the option to
cancel your call. There really should be no unexpected roaming minutes
on your bill, unlesss somebody on the plan doesn't communicate to you
(i.e. kids or spouse).

- --

Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFA/mlp1p0e3NXsrtERAoJcAKC63VUSt5WZZ03gJGVCYWi3EEj/HACgtGSA
koRcwifgF1qKV41hahl4sEM=
=1fcb
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 9:10:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On 20 Jul 2004 05:56:33 -0700, BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska)
wrote:

>Have any of you opened your wireless bill and seen a ton of Sprint
>roaming charges you didn't expect?

Yes, I have, although others in here don't seem to believe me.

After paying far too much for roaming, I was planning to cancel with
Sprint then, but did not want to lose my number. As a result, I opted
for a monthly add-on charge of $5.00 per month that keeps me from
having to pay roaming charges. However, when in roaming mode, my
phone will not ring in, I find out about calls when the voicemail
alert signals that I've missed a call.

Now that I can port my number over to a new carrier, I plan to switch
at the end of this summer.


--
Deb
!