Sprint PCS coverage in the Twin Cities? - New Thread for S..

I was thinking of switching to Sprint PCS from AT&T GSM, because of
the 7 PM nights option.

Have any of you switched recently? Have you noticed any
decrease/increase in call quality or coverage? I don't use mobile
Internet (WAP). I only want to have the freedom to make clear calls in
a lot of places.

Please don't discuss customer service issues or anything outside the
Twin Cities. Let's keep this thread tight and focused.

Thanks for your contribution!
12 answers Last reply
More about sprint coverage twin cities thread

    I have had sprint in TC for the past 6 years, it has gradually become better
    to where it is very good now in most areas. I cannot speak for everyone as
    it depends where you are located.

    --

    Gene L
    generide40@yahoo.com

    On 13 Jul 2004 10:17:36 -0700, BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska)
    wrote:

    >I was thinking of switching to Sprint PCS from AT&T GSM, because of
    >the 7 PM nights option.

    Are you aware that AT&T has N&W at 7:00 pm included on non-TDMA plans
    59.99 or more?

    >Have any of you switched recently? Have you noticed any
    >decrease/increase in call quality or coverage? I don't use mobile
    >Internet (WAP). I only want to have the freedom to make clear calls in
    >a lot of places.

    Don't use Sprint. If you do, you will want to add the option for
    "free roaming" (costs $5.00 per month), or you will find yourself
    paying roaming charges every time you drop off the PCS network.
    Shoreview, New Brighton and at the airport area have all been "off
    network" for me when travelling there on business.

    --
    Deb

    ddm46@att.net wrote:

    > Don't use Sprint. If you do, you will want to add the option for
    > "free roaming" (costs $5.00 per month), or you will find yourself
    > paying roaming charges every time you drop off the PCS network.
    > Shoreview, New Brighton and at the airport area have all been "off
    > network" for me when travelling there on business.

    Deb, does your phone work ANYWHERE?

    ddm46@att.net wrote:
    > On 13 Jul 2004 10:17:36 -0700, BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I was thinking of switching to Sprint PCS from AT&T GSM, because of
    >>the 7 PM nights option.
    >
    > Are you aware that AT&T has N&W at 7:00 pm included on non-TDMA plans
    > 59.99 or more?
    >
    >>Have any of you switched recently? Have you noticed any
    >>decrease/increase in call quality or coverage? I don't use mobile
    >>Internet (WAP). I only want to have the freedom to make clear calls in
    >>a lot of places.
    >
    > Don't use Sprint. If you do, you will want to add the option for
    > "free roaming" (costs $5.00 per month), or you will find yourself
    > paying roaming charges every time you drop off the PCS network.
    > Shoreview, New Brighton and at the airport area have all been "off
    > network" for me when travelling there on business.

    I live in the Twin Cities and have travelled a lot and I can say without
    hesitation that the airport and Shoreview are VERY WELL covered. I can
    not speak for New Brighton, as I haven't spent time there.

    --

    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:30:14 -0400, ddm46@att.net wrote:

    >On 13 Jul 2004 10:17:36 -0700, BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska)
    >wrote:
    >Don't use Sprint. If you do, you will want to add the option for
    >"free roaming" (costs $5.00 per month), or you will find yourself
    >paying roaming charges every time you drop off the PCS network.
    >Shoreview, New Brighton and at the airport area have all been "off
    >network" for me when travelling there on business.

    I've had very good SPCS reception at the airport (MSP), except for the
    new regional jet terminal. I usually drop to analog out there.

    Joseph Huber
    Huber.Joseph@comcast.net

    Wow - I just might reconsider switching from AT&T. Though GSM doesn't
    take me out into the country, I have little interest in calling at all
    if I'm roaming. I know that AT&T GSM will not roam anywhere in the
    Twin Cities, though I might have trouble in some buildings. In any
    case, I know I'll never pay 40 cents a minute unbeknownst.

    Have any of you opened your wireless bill and seen a ton of Sprint
    roaming charges you didn't expect?

    Bryanska <BARRELBACK@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Wow - I just might reconsider switching from AT&T. Though GSM doesn't
    > take me out into the country, I have little interest in calling at all
    > if I'm roaming. I know that AT&T GSM will not roam anywhere in the
    > Twin Cities, though I might have trouble in some buildings. In any
    > case, I know I'll never pay 40 cents a minute unbeknownst.
    >
    > Have any of you opened your wireless bill and seen a ton of Sprint
    > roaming charges you didn't expect?

    It's easy to avoid them. Set your phone to Sprint Only and you won't roam.
    I have PhoneGuard on my phone, also, which forces me to confirm that I want
    to take a call or make a call before the call goes through, if I'm not on
    Sprint's network. (I have a Samsung 660 and it's probably available on other
    Sprint phones. All Sprint phones have the Sprint Only network option.)

    I used Sprint in the Twin Cities as far west as Buffalo, MN and was never
    roaming. I also set my phone to Sprint only.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <db1a4da4.0407200456.41aeb5e0@posting.google.com>,
    BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska) wrote:

    > Wow - I just might reconsider switching from AT&T. Though GSM doesn't
    > take me out into the country, I have little interest in calling at all
    > if I'm roaming. I know that AT&T GSM will not roam anywhere in the
    > Twin Cities, though I might have trouble in some buildings. In any
    > case, I know I'll never pay 40 cents a minute unbeknownst.
    >
    > Have any of you opened your wireless bill and seen a ton of Sprint
    > roaming charges you didn't expect?

    I have not seen any unexpected charges because I have my VA1000 set so I
    have to press 1 to make or answer a call while in roaming mode.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <40fbc56c$0$226$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com>, veldy71
    @yahoo.com says...
    > I live in the Twin Cities and have travelled a lot and I can say without
    > hesitation that the airport and Shoreview are VERY WELL covered. I can
    > not speak for New Brighton, as I haven't spent time there.

    Good info for the OP, but Deb apparently ignores any post that
    disputes her claims of lack of signal.

    --
    RØß
    O/Siris

  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On 20 Jul 2004 05:56:33 -0700, BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska)
    wrote:

    >Have any of you opened your wireless bill and seen a ton of Sprint
    >roaming charges you didn't expect?

    Yes, I have, although others in here don't seem to believe me.

    After paying far too much for roaming, I was planning to cancel with
    Sprint then, but did not want to lose my number. As a result, I opted
    for a monthly add-on charge of $5.00 per month that keeps me from
    having to pay roaming charges. However, when in roaming mode, my
    phone will not ring in, I find out about calls when the voicemail
    alert signals that I've missed a call.

    Now that I can port my number over to a new carrier, I plan to switch
    at the end of this summer.

    --
    Deb

Sprint PCS Wireless Access Internet Service Providers