Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

WIN7 startup hangs at welcome or desktop blank.

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 14, 2012 9:06:01 PM

my windows7 x64 will not boot completely. I get the welcome screen, with a continuous whirling circle or, sometimes, i get to the desktop, but no icons or task bar. I can't get any response from control/alt/delete to get to task manager. I have easy access to safe mode, and everything there seems normal. I have run AVAST, Malwarebytes, and a couple of other antivirus programs from safe mode, with no virus or malware identified. I have read every post in as many tech sites as I can find, and nothing seems to work. I have already tried going back to earlier restores, and am out of them.

Unless someone can help, I need to backup all my work files and reinstall Windows 7, I guess. I'm concerned that I will not have the drivers I need when I do that. I have a backup Macrium system image, but it's a year old, the external drive it's on clicks like crazy, indicating it's going bad, and I've got a LOT of work on my machine I don't want to lose.
I've already beaten myself severly with a rubber hose for putting off backups and restore disks, so save that...

More about : win7 startup hangs desktop blank

June 14, 2012 9:20:56 PM

I presume you've tried Safe mode (F8 right after the BIOS) and tried a system restore?
m
l
June 14, 2012 9:33:49 PM

teh_gerbil said:
I presume you've tried Safe mode (F8 right after the BIOS) and tried a system restore?

Yes. I'm out of restore points.
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2012 9:38:27 PM

do you use the likes of 'system mechanic' or other such registry cleaning applications?
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:25:31 PM

teh_gerbil said:
do you use the likes of 'system mechanic' or other such registry cleaning applications?

I use Registry Mechanic regularly, and have tried the registry repair in CCleaner (latest version).
m
l
June 16, 2012 1:15:11 AM

Ah, excellent, run that and revert the last registry clean you did. Very very highly likely that is what has broken your windows.
m
l