CD ROMs from Knowledge Adv. won't run on XP

Last response: in Video Games
September 17, 2004 11:45:11 PM

i have several educational cd roms jumpstart, etc. from
KNOWLEDGE ADVENTURE CO. they will not open on Windows XP
what can we do to be able to use the cd's again.
We are running socket 487 1.7 GIG 512MRAM compaq cd rom
w/burner using Windows XP.

More about : roms knowledge adv run

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 2:52:02 AM

Hi,

"family" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:367501c49d29$844e4b00$a601280a@phx.gbl...
| i have several educational cd roms jumpstart, etc. from
| KNOWLEDGE ADVENTURE CO. they will not open on Windows XP
| what can we do to be able to use the cd's again.
| We are running socket 487 1.7 GIG 512MRAM compaq cd rom
| w/burner using Windows XP.

Try installing and playing that using 95/98 Compatibility mode.

To install a program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode, hold
down SHIFT as you insert the game CD, use My Computer to browse
to the setup program, and then skip down to step 1 in the list below:

To run an installed program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode,
first right click the program and "Send To..." / Desktop (create shortcut).

1.. Right click on the shortcut to the program.
2.. Click on Properties.
3.. Click on the Compatibility tab.
4.. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
a.. Windows 95
b.. Windows 98
c.. Windows NT 4
d.. Windows 2000
5.. Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is best:
a.. Run in 256 colors.
b.. Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
c.. Disable visual themes.

Click on Apply.Click on Ok.Double click on the program.

Of course, let's not forget to check for any patches or updates for that game.
A good place to find them is: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

If you'd like to learn more information about compatibility mode, you can click the
link in the Compatibility tab that reads "Learn more about program compatibility",
or watch this Application Compatibility Power Point Presentation:
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc11...

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User