Slow Browser Page Opening

Last response: in Networking
May 24, 2004 2:19:25 AM

Picked up MN-700 on the cheap from Costco..may have been
a big mistake as my now my dsl connection to the web now
has initial connection problems. The connect to a site
seems really slow now and I can count the remaining items
to be displayed and sometimes they don't even fully load
and I have to hit refresh a couple of times. This happens
on both my hard wire and wireless connections. Before, I
was just connected thru a Linksys BEFSR41W router and
connected lickety split. The strange thing is, if I run a
DSL speed test, they tell me I'm getting 1.1 mbs
throughput but why am I having initial connect and load
problems ? No parental controls, nothing
enabled...Help !!
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 1:28:47 PM

Hi,

Have you updated the MN-700's firmware?

There's a firmware patch that fixes an issue with PPPoE for the MN-700 which
is available from the Microsoft Broadband Website.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...
Then select the Mn-700 from the drop down list and then click on the Manual
install update, then run the update utility.

The firmware resolved an issue that caused PPPoE Internet connections to
randomly drop.
and Corrected a DHCP issue that caused the routing functionality of the
MN-700
to not work when the DHCP server is disabled. Routing functionality should
now work correctly without having to enable the DHCP server.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Holdman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Picked up MN-700 on the cheap from Costco..may have been
> a big mistake as my now my dsl connection to the web now
> has initial connection problems. The connect to a site
> seems really slow now and I can count the remaining items
> to be displayed and sometimes they don't even fully load
> and I have to hit refresh a couple of times. This happens
> on both my hard wire and wireless connections. Before, I
> was just connected thru a Linksys BEFSR41W router and
> connected lickety split. The strange thing is, if I run a
> DSL speed test, they tell me I'm getting 1.1 mbs
> throughput but why am I having initial connect and load
> problems ? No parental controls, nothing
> enabled...Help !!
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 11:23:11 PM

Thanks but I already tried that earlier and got a message
that the firmware was already the most updated version.
Did the download again today, same message. I'll keep
trying....thanks much for the suggestion anyway.

DLoadMain.mspx
>Then select the Mn-700 from the drop down list and then
click on the Manual
>install update, then run the update utility.
>
>The firmware resolved an issue that caused PPPoE
Internet connections to
>randomly drop.
>and Corrected a DHCP issue that caused the routing
functionality of the
>MN-700
>to not work when the DHCP server is disabled. Routing
functionality should
>now work correctly without having to enable the DHCP
server.

>--
>Gary Tsang
>Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
>http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

>"Holdman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Picked up MN-700 on the cheap from Costco..may have
been
>> a big mistake as my now my dsl connection to the web
now
>> has initial connection problems. The connect to a site
>> seems really slow now and I can count the remaining
items
>> to be displayed and sometimes they don't even fully
load
>> and I have to hit refresh a couple of times. This
happens
>> on both my hard wire and wireless connections.
Before, I
>> was just connected thru a Linksys BEFSR41W router and
>> connected lickety split. The strange thing is, if I
run a
>> DSL speed test, they tell me I'm getting 1.1 mbs
>> throughput but why am I having initial connect and load
>> problems ? No parental controls, nothing
>> enabled...Help !!
>

>.

May 27, 2004 3:50:49 PM

Everytime I see this:
"Corrected a DHCP issue that caused the routing functionality of the MN-700
to not work when the DHCP server is disabled"
It amaze me to no end!
They've put on the shelves a product with a basic feature broken... 2
actualy.... counting the DSL disfonctional capability out of the box...
I'm now just curious to see if they'll ever release new firware to
"complete" the mn700 since they are out of that business now. I've been told
they would, but I trust Microsoft to be able to surprise me :p  hehehe

Gary Tsang wrote:
|| Hi,
|| Have you updated the MN-700's firmware?
|| There's a firmware patch that fixes an issue with PPPoE for the
|| MN-700 which is available from the Microsoft Broadband Website.
|| http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...
|| Then select the Mn-700 from the drop down list and then click on the
|| Manual install update, then run the update utility.
|| The firmware resolved an issue that caused PPPoE Internet
|| connections to randomly drop.
|| and Corrected a DHCP issue that caused the routing functionality of
|| the MN-700
|| to not work when the DHCP server is disabled. Routing functionality
|| should now work correctly without having to enable the DHCP server.
|| --
|| Gary Tsang
|| Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
|| http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
|| "Holdman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
||| Picked up MN-700 on the cheap from Costco..may have been
||| a big mistake as my now my dsl connection to the web now
||| has initial connection problems. The connect to a site
||| seems really slow now and I can count the remaining items
||| to be displayed and sometimes they don't even fully load
||| and I have to hit refresh a couple of times. This happens
||| on both my hard wire and wireless connections. Before, I
||| was just connected thru a Linksys BEFSR41W router and
||| connected lickety split. The strange thing is, if I run a
||| DSL speed test, they tell me I'm getting 1.1 mbs
||| throughput but why am I having initial connect and load
||| problems ? No parental controls, nothing
||| enabled...Help !!
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 5:54:59 AM

Update: Could never resolve my problem with the MN-700.
Went out to Fry's over Memorial Day weekend and picked up
a D-Link DI-624 for $39.00 after rebates and now
everything loads and connects fast fast fast like
before. I'll try the MN-700 on my friend's setup and see
if he has any problems...maybe it was just something in
my DSL/PC setup that didn't play nice with the MN-700.

_

!