Shadow_Seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
I'm planning on getting a new sys. sometime in the near future.

xp2700
noise control silverado (hsf)
A7N8X
2*512Mb xms2700
sapphire 9700 pro ult. ed.
cooler master atc710 sx2 (case)
4*papst 80mm 8412 ngml (case fans)

Any way the question is how many case fans do i need?

I would have thought 4 (max for case) as more fans would mean each fan does less work and so less noise.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Depends on the heat production inside, and the quality and airflow abilities of the case.

even just one medium speed casefan can suffice, strategically placed behind the cpu area with lots of room at the front to draw from.

My atlas case has room for a whopping 6 80mm casefans... and thanx to all the airholes i can run with 2 or 3 super quiet fans and still get a very cool case.

<b><i>Poloticians and Nappies should be changed often... For much the same reason.</b></i>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
More fans == more noise.
Fans make nore noise when creating a vaccuum in the case.

Ideally air flows through a case from front to back...

If your case has adequate air intake at the front, you probably only need one medium speed (2800rpm) fan at the back, right behind the CPU.

Also, you may find that covering unused rear exhaust holes will improve overall cooling. What happens is that the exhaust fan and power supply fan will draw air along the path of least resistance. So, if you have an open fan position only a couple of inches from a running fan the air will enter there and go right back out the fan without circulating air inside the case very much at all.

Another common thing with cases is that, although they have front fan openings, very few have good air intakes at the front. You may wish to look into enlargening the existing front air intakes, or even cutting new ones in out of sight places, whether you use an intake fan or not. I commonly remove the plastic front cover and cut away the underside edge, creating an opening underneath the case (where it's out of sight) that substantially increases airflow into the case.

Hope this helps.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

svol

Champion
Atleast one fan in the upper rear blowing air out and if you case has bad front air openings (like Teq said) a second fan in the bottom front blowing in can help you too.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek:

Shadow_Seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
So for this case <A HREF="http://coolermaster.com/case/p710.htm" target="_new">http://coolermaster.com/case/p710.htm</A> I should put two fans at rear (since covering exhaust holes of one would appear to be quite difficult).

The fans at rear would then draw air in through the front.

Again another way to reduce the cost of my new system (currently just less than £1900)

Thanks for your help.

Auburn9698

Champion
In case you haven't seen it already, AMD has a white paper on their opinion of how to cool a case for their CPUs. Search under "fans". (Had trouble getting the link to work)

Of course, if you ask a dozen people for their opinion on how to do it, you'll probably get close to that many different answers.

War Eagle

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
No harm in using 2 fans, so long as the front air inlets are able to let in enough air to ensure both exhaust fans are working at full airflow.

Looking at the mounting brackets for the fans, I get the impression you might run into vibration problems, which will make lots of noise. You may want to consider a way of preventing that... perhaps by removing the plastic clip in thingies and mounting the fan(s) directly to the case.

Nice case choice... btw.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Shadow_Seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2003
I just found this review of the case looks even better here, <A HREF="http://www.ocaddiction.com/reviews/cases/coolermaster_atc710/" target="_new">http://www.ocaddiction.com/reviews/cases/coolermaster_atc710/</A>

TRENDING THREADS