Silhouette Cameo Not Seen

jage

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
The Silhouette Cameo is a cutting printer. After installing the software from the manufacturer's CD and plugging the USB in I got a "hardware detected" and "can't install" for it.

Further research showed that the 64bit drivers for Windows 7 must be separately installed from the CD. I installed the 64bit drivers.

Nothing.

Device help, printer help, I get the message "Hardware changes may not have been detected!" over and over but nothing seems to be able to be done about it.

I've plugged and unplugged, powercycled, gone through the software, rebooted and even rolled back my Windows to before the driver install. I have tried differnent USB cables, and different USB ports and tested the ports with other devices (flash drive). Reinstalled the drivers. Updated the software. Updated all my drivers.

Nothing. Like it's not there. Can't find anything resembling it in the devices under control panel. It doesn't seem like there is anything to remove.

I installed the software AND the 64bit drivers on my wife's laptop prior to connecting the USB and ... it worked perfectly.

Any ideas?

AmandaCreation

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
DO I NEED TO INSTALL A DRIVER TO USE THE SILHOUETTE STUDIO SOFTWARE PROGRAM?
Print
Silhouette Studio does not require the use of a driver. If upon hooking up and powering on your Silhouette you receive a New Hardware Wizard and your computer cannot find a driver, you may safely chose to ignore the wizard and continue to use the software without concern. Again, the driver is not needed for proper operation with Silhouette Studio.

this is from the Cameo website...looks like you don't need the drivers :) I am sure you have figured that out by now, but in case anyone else come across this post like I did..they will know too :)

jage

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
The driver, afik, is for using the cameo with other software such as MakeTheCut which is an alternative to Silhouette studio. It makes it appear in the printer's list, but I never found any functionality from it being there.

My problem turned out to be an overload of USB devices, or lack of power to the USB, or something along those lines s.t. the cameo was never recognized. Moving things around to different ports got it recognized, and something less needy wound up in the old cameo slot- it still isn't recognized by the Studio software sometimes, but powercycling the Cameo works.

I'm sure a USB bridge would help, something I'll get to try when I add another ink printer.

Sep 30, 2019
@jage did you manage to do it? I read it somewhere that it's better to download the latest version from their site. Did you do a firmware update?

I'm leaning towards the curio at the moment. But I haven't decided just yet. I've dumped all mainstream reviews because they are just hype. And settled with this freshly picked blog. It seems to be the real deal. Here's a curios vs cameo post.

There are so many negative that it gave me second thoughts. Maybe I should pick a different machine?