The Airport, New Brighton - ROAMING? Are you serious?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

New Brighton is an adjacent suburb of Minneapolis - it nearly butts up
against a 300,000 population city. You mean you roam there?

Ditto the airport - it's next to the Mall of America and is one of the
most important installations in the state. Roam there too?
17 answers Last reply
More about airport brighton roaming serious
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Bryanska <BARRELBACK@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > New Brighton is an adjacent suburb of Minneapolis - it nearly butts up
    > against a 300,000 population city. You mean you roam there?
    >
    > Ditto the airport - it's next to the Mall of America and is one of the
    > most important installations in the state. Roam there too?


    You are very definitely wrong about the Airport and roaming. I used my
    A400 there MANY times with decent signal and never had a dropped call
    and never roamed. If you are having problems there, I would take a look
    at your phone. As far as New Brighton goes, I have not been there
    myself. Although I did just talk with my Wife and her phone (at the
    time, A460) gave her no trouble at all, and without roaming. A major
    freeway goes through New Brighton (I694) and I never had any trouble
    taking calls there either. So, perhaps there is a particular spot
    within New Brighton that is dead? If that is the case, you should
    probably report it to Sprint. As far as the airport goes, there are no
    dead spots there, it simply works.


    - --

    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (FreeBSD)

    iD8DBQFA/Adh1p0e3NXsrtERAsA+AKCBJhAtktgmIvvL8vgPQZ3AbS1xnACgtcdg
    lZcqFI3SXzbSNipslOxP4xY=
    =CLxg
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On 19 Jul 2004 06:37:22 -0700, BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM (Bryanska)
    wrote:

    >New Brighton is an adjacent suburb of Minneapolis - it nearly butts up
    >against a 300,000 population city. You mean you roam there?

    Yep. However, it is "sporadic". Specifically, at the client, I could
    be standing in one spot of the parking lot (could not make calls
    indoors due to no signal, I do blame the building for that), move
    three feet over and I'm roaming.

    >Ditto the airport - it's next to the Mall of America and is one of the
    >most important installations in the state. Roam there too?

    Roam at the airport, not at the Mall.


    --
    Deb
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On 19 Jul 2004 17:39:46 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >> Ditto the airport - it's next to the Mall of America and is one of the
    >> most important installations in the state. Roam there too?
    >
    >
    >You are very definitely wrong about the Airport and roaming. I used my
    >A400 there MANY times with decent signal and never had a dropped call
    >and never roamed. If you are having problems there, I would take a look

    Then your experience is different than mine. I am always roaming at
    the airport, if I can get a signal. As I mentioned, I generally can't
    get a signal until making the turn on to 55.

    >taking calls there either. So, perhaps there is a particular spot
    >within New Brighton that is dead? If that is the case, you should
    >probably report it to Sprint. As far as the airport goes, there are no
    >dead spots there, it simply works.

    Not for me. Unless it is my imagination that causes me to see the
    message "Roaming charges apply, press 1 to place call" on the phone's
    screen when I try to place a call, OR have the "wandering signal
    finder" display.

    Apparently I am the ONLY Sprint customer that has issues with dead
    spots, since everyone insists on telling me that there are none in the
    areas I experience them.



    --
    Deb
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    ddm46@att.net wrote:
    > Not for me. Unless it is my imagination that causes me to see the
    > message "Roaming charges apply, press 1 to place call" on the phone's
    > screen when I try to place a call, OR have the "wandering signal
    > finder" display.

    > Apparently I am the ONLY Sprint customer that has issues with dead
    > spots, since everyone insists on telling me that there are none in the
    > areas I experience them.

    No, of course you're not the only Sprint customer that has those issues.
    Thomas, however, lives in the Twin Cities so I'd assume he has had more
    experience with coverage out there. The fact that you are having issues in
    so many places, some of which are OK for most other people, seems to indicate
    that it is a specific problem you are having, rather than a more generalized
    problem. Have the phone checked out, and call *2 and have a CSR flag you for
    a PRL update. A few minutes after that you should call *2 again and when you
    connect to *2, you'll automatically get the new PRL.

    You say your husband has similar problems, but you two have the same phone
    model - maybe there's a firmware update that might help fix your problem. (And
    his.)

    I wish I could offer some advice that would permanently fix the problem,
    but I can only offer those suggestions...

    --
    JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services, http://JustThe.net/
    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) / sjsobol@JustThe.net
    PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
    Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    ddm46@att.net wrote:
    >
    > Not for me. Unless it is my imagination that causes me to see the
    > message "Roaming charges apply, press 1 to place call" on the phone's
    > screen when I try to place a call, OR have the "wandering signal
    > finder" display.
    >

    You need to check out your phone. Like I said, it always worked for me
    at the airport. I made calls from the tarmac before and after nearly
    every flight.

    > Apparently I am the ONLY Sprint customer that has issues with dead
    > spots, since everyone insists on telling me that there are none in the
    > areas I experience them.

    No, I think you have a bum phone.

    - --

    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (FreeBSD)

    iD8DBQFA/RNi1p0e3NXsrtERAr1wAKCZc4QDtITRkPoY+MgHo0UEsIeVVQCeIItn
    9GIk72/CXb9tz9K7lHG2Fv8=
    =hqj4
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    What is a PRL?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Bryanska <BARRELBACK@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > What is a PRL?

    Preferred Roaming List. It will update your phone software so that it
    knows which towers are useful for roaming and what priority to give when
    more than one is available (i.e. if a Verizon and ATTWS AMPS signal is
    available, it needs to know which is best to use).

    - --

    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (FreeBSD)

    iD8DBQFA/nFF1p0e3NXsrtERArdKAKC5VJrRCZvbPEKI+GEc+VeWyBzkHgCgoioH
    CTVcCP1vfOEZxQjCCwXycpM=
    =Zn0u
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Preferred Roaming List.

    Based on contractual agreements your carrier has with others, it prioritizes
    which signal the phone will connect to, if it can't connect to your
    carrier's signal. That doesn't necessarily provide the best signal for you;
    it provides a compromise between best and cheapest signal, as determined by
    your provider.


    "Bryanska" <BARRELBACK@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
    news:db1a4da4.0407210508.7e400ae2@posting.google.com...
    > What is a PRL?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:39:30 -0500, Steven J Sobol
    <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

    >
    >No, of course you're not the only Sprint customer that has those issues.
    >Thomas, however, lives in the Twin Cities so I'd assume he has had more
    >experience with coverage out there. The fact that you are having issues in

    I mentioned 3 areas, those that I am in when there. <shrug>

    >problem. Have the phone checked out, and call *2 and have a CSR flag you for
    >a PRL update. A few minutes after that you should call *2 again and when you

    My phone received an update about 4 weeks ago. No improvement, as
    with previous updates.


    >
    >I wish I could offer some advice that would permanently fix the problem,
    >but I can only offer those suggestions...

    I appreciate it. I think the only thing that's going to fix it is to
    change to a new carrier, planned for the end of August....


    --
    Deb
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On 20 Jul 2004 12:43:14 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >
    >You need to check out your phone. Like I said, it always worked for me
    >at the airport. I made calls from the tarmac before and after nearly
    >every flight.

    Hmmm....haven't tried from the tarmac there, only when inside the
    terminal, over at the rental car area and while driving up to New
    Brighton. Usually get the signal about the time I'm making the right
    onto 55 when leaving the airport area.

    >> Apparently I am the ONLY Sprint customer that has issues with dead
    >> spots, since everyone insists on telling me that there are none in the
    >> areas I experience them.
    >
    >No, I think you have a bum phone.

    Then we have two of them, since hubby's phone has the same problems in
    the same areas, when we're travelling together.


    --
    Deb
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    <ddm46@att.net> wrote in message
    news:9q98g0l7nvfe1v7fdnp5ig9tgvpk96bub3@4ax.com...
    > On 20 Jul 2004 12:43:14 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >You need to check out your phone. Like I said, it always worked for me
    > >at the airport. I made calls from the tarmac before and after nearly
    > >every flight.
    >
    > Hmmm....haven't tried from the tarmac there, only when inside the
    > terminal, over at the rental car area and while driving up to New
    > Brighton. Usually get the signal about the time I'm making the right
    > onto 55 when leaving the airport area.
    >
    > >> Apparently I am the ONLY Sprint customer that has issues with dead
    > >> spots, since everyone insists on telling me that there are none in the
    > >> areas I experience them.
    > >
    > >No, I think you have a bum phone.
    >
    > Then we have two of them, since hubby's phone has the same problems in
    > the same areas, when we're travelling together.

    Deb, if you have any friends who have service with SPCS and with a different
    phone, ask whether you can borrow it to check the service with that phone.
    The more you talk, I'm thinking you have two bad phones ... from the same
    batch.

    Bob
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:36:58 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Deb, if you have any friends who have service with SPCS and with a different
    >phone, ask whether you can borrow it to check the service with that phone.
    >The more you talk, I'm thinking you have two bad phones ... from the same
    >batch.

    I don't know anyone else with Sprint off the top of my head. Pretty
    much everyone I know is on either AT&T, Cingular or Nextel. I'll ask
    around and see......but will probably still change providers.

    If the phones are bad, I'll need new phones anyway....going with
    someone else, I'll get a rebate on whatever phone I get.

    Put that with the email issue I have now, apparently I can't change
    the email address I have with Sprint, and some other issues I have
    with them, I'm not locking into another 2 years with Sprint, when I
    can't count on a rebate from them on any new phones and I can get
    cheaper plans with the same (or better) minutes/features elsewhere.


    --
    Deb
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    If it's been more than 18 months since you bought those phones, you are
    entitled to the phone upgrade program for current customers.

    Chris

    <abuse.catcher@att.net> wrote in message
    news:c9t8g0p09dri222qdqdia62b602v6mok55@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:36:58 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    > <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Deb, if you have any friends who have service with SPCS and with a
    >>different
    >>phone, ask whether you can borrow it to check the service with that phone.
    >>The more you talk, I'm thinking you have two bad phones ... from the same
    >>batch.
    >
    > I don't know anyone else with Sprint off the top of my head. Pretty
    > much everyone I know is on either AT&T, Cingular or Nextel. I'll ask
    > around and see......but will probably still change providers.
    >
    > If the phones are bad, I'll need new phones anyway....going with
    > someone else, I'll get a rebate on whatever phone I get.
    >
    > Put that with the email issue I have now, apparently I can't change
    > the email address I have with Sprint, and some other issues I have
    > with them, I'm not locking into another 2 years with Sprint, when I
    > can't count on a rebate from them on any new phones and I can get
    > cheaper plans with the same (or better) minutes/features elsewhere.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Deb
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:42:38 GMT, "Chris Russell"
    <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote:

    >If it's been more than 18 months since you bought those phones, you are
    >entitled to the phone upgrade program for current customers.

    Which, unless I'm mistaken, locks me in for another 2 years. Also, I
    have to pay for the phones up front, and wait for a rebate, which if
    past experience with Sprint rebates tells the tale, will never arrive.


    >
    >Chris
    >
    ><abuse.catcher@att.net> wrote in message
    >news:c9t8g0p09dri222qdqdia62b602v6mok55@4ax.com...
    >> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:36:58 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    >> <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Deb, if you have any friends who have service with SPCS and with a
    >>>different
    >>>phone, ask whether you can borrow it to check the service with that phone.
    >>>The more you talk, I'm thinking you have two bad phones ... from the same
    >>>batch.
    >>
    >> I don't know anyone else with Sprint off the top of my head. Pretty
    >> much everyone I know is on either AT&T, Cingular or Nextel. I'll ask
    >> around and see......but will probably still change providers.
    >>
    >> If the phones are bad, I'll need new phones anyway....going with
    >> someone else, I'll get a rebate on whatever phone I get.
    >>
    >> Put that with the email issue I have now, apparently I can't change
    >> the email address I have with Sprint, and some other issues I have
    >> with them, I'm not locking into another 2 years with Sprint, when I
    >> can't count on a rebate from them on any new phones and I can get
    >> cheaper plans with the same (or better) minutes/features elsewhere.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Deb
    >

    --
    Deb
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    abuse.catcher@att.net wrote:
    >
    > Which, unless I'm mistaken, locks me in for another 2 years. Also, I
    > have to pay for the phones up front, and wait for a rebate, which if
    > past experience with Sprint rebates tells the tale, will never arrive.
    >

    Are you saying that you have not received a rebate on your previous
    phones when due? Please ellaborate on your previous experience. It
    seems odd you have not mentioned this in light of the tone of your
    conversation up until now.

    - --

    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (FreeBSD)

    iD8DBQFBBcTm1p0e3NXsrtERAjSEAKDCCDxhPSyyapdF0m2XYgjaX3B42gCfa+NH
    ibJbBNLrkdBOrT9gv7Liiwg=
    =Pl93
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On 27 Jul 2004 02:58:46 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >> Which, unless I'm mistaken, locks me in for another 2 years. Also, I
    >> have to pay for the phones up front, and wait for a rebate, which if
    >> past experience with Sprint rebates tells the tale, will never arrive.
    >>
    >
    >Are you saying that you have not received a rebate on your previous
    >phones when due? Please ellaborate on your previous experience. It

    I received the rebate on one phone, but not the second when we first
    started with Sprint. Instead of a rebate on the second phone, we
    received a rejection of the rebate, using the reason that the second
    phone was "not activated on a new account". Since both were activated
    at the same time......


    >seems odd you have not mentioned this in light of the tone of your
    >conversation up until now.

    I discussed this several weeks ago.
    --
    Deb
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:17:48 -0400, <ddm46@att.net> wrote:

    > On 19 Jul 2004 17:39:46 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Ditto the airport - it's next to the Mall of America and is one of the
    >>> most important installations in the state. Roam there too?
    >>
    >>
    >> You are very definitely wrong about the Airport and roaming. I used my
    >> A400 there MANY times with decent signal and never had a dropped call
    >> and never roamed. If you are having problems there, I would take a look
    >
    > Then your experience is different than mine. I am always roaming at
    > the airport, if I can get a signal. As I mentioned, I generally can't
    > get a signal until making the turn on to 55.
    >
    >> taking calls there either. So, perhaps there is a particular spot
    >> within New Brighton that is dead? If that is the case, you should
    >> probably report it to Sprint. As far as the airport goes, there are no
    >> dead spots there, it simply works.
    >
    > Not for me. Unless it is my imagination that causes me to see the
    > message "Roaming charges apply, press 1 to place call" on the phone's
    > screen when I try to place a call, OR have the "wandering signal
    > finder" display.
    >
    > Apparently I am the ONLY Sprint customer that has issues with dead
    > spots, since everyone insists on telling me that there are none in the
    > areas I experience them.

    Not at all. But being so consistently contradicted by others users should
    be seen by you as even stronger evidence that the network is *not* the
    problem. That just leaves your phone. You certainly have the right not
    to pursue that, but that's where the evidence points.

    --
    -~-
    RØß
    O/Siris
    -*-
    A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in
    temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice.
    Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
    -*-
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Ask a new question

Read More

Sprint PCS Internet Service Providers