Online Football

When you play online, or even just against a friend at home, do you move the
players around individually, especially the DL to gain better penetration?
Personally, I only use the features that allow me to adjust the formations,
but I won't take control of a DE or OLB and move them out to get around the
end better.

The other thing I won't do is drop my QB back an obnoxious amount of yards
so, so that he can avoid sacks. I just drop like like a QB would normally.

The problem is, I feel like this is putting me at a huge disadvantage
online. Am I just playing the wrong guys? Many of the guys doing this will
actually play fairly the rest of the game, as opposed to the losers that go
for it on 4th every time.

Just Curious.
3 answers Last reply
More about online football
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    Jayhawker wrote:

    > When you play online, or even just against a friend at home, do you move the
    > players around individually, especially the DL to gain better penetration?
    > Personally, I only use the features that allow me to adjust the formations,
    > but I won't take control of a DE or OLB and move them out to get around the
    > end better.
    >
    > The other thing I won't do is drop my QB back an obnoxious amount of yards
    > so, so that he can avoid sacks. I just drop like like a QB would normally.
    >
    > The problem is, I feel like this is putting me at a huge disadvantage
    > online. Am I just playing the wrong guys? Many of the guys doing this will
    > actually play fairly the rest of the game, as opposed to the losers that go
    > for it on 4th every time.
    >
    > Just Curious.

    Madden has fair play rules, which eliminate the going for it on 4th
    down. It also is almost impossible to drop back 20 yards and complete a
    pass anymore in either game.

    Many guys control the DE and move him out. Dives, Slams and screen burn
    their ass real quick.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    "Dan S" <dan@work.com> wrote in message
    > Jayhawker wrote:
    >
    > > When you play online, or even just against a friend at home, do you move
    the
    > > players around individually, especially the DL to gain better
    penetration?
    > > Personally, I only use the features that allow me to adjust the
    formations,
    > > but I won't take control of a DE or OLB and move them out to get around
    the
    > > end better.
    > >
    > > The other thing I won't do is drop my QB back an obnoxious amount of
    yards
    > > so, so that he can avoid sacks. I just drop like like a QB would
    normally.

    > > The problem is, I feel like this is putting me at a huge disadvantage
    > > online. Am I just playing the wrong guys? Many of the guys doing this
    will
    > > actually play fairly the rest of the game, as opposed to the losers that
    go
    > > for it on 4th every time.
    > >
    > > Just Curious.
    > >

    > Madden has fair play rules, which eliminate the going for it on 4th
    > down. It also is almost impossible to drop back 20 yards and complete a
    > pass anymore in either game.
    >
    > Many guys control the DE and move him out. Dives, Slams and screen burn
    > their ass real quick.

    I spread my D-line alot, but usually just using the audible for it.
    Occassionaly, if I don't want a full spread, I'll manually take one of the
    DE's and move him to the same position (just outside the tackle, or lined up
    with the TE) but never further than where the automatic adjustment would
    have taken him.

    In Madden, it doesn't matter anyway, you can burn people who spread to much
    by actually being able to run up the gut, or you just get them with passes
    in the flat.

    Like Dan said, dropping way back doesn't work anymore either, so feel free
    to play the game however you want... it's almost cheese-free from what I can
    tell so far (I play alot of unranked/AllPro/7min qtrs for my league, and
    it's just about right ~120 total combined plays of offense).
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports (More info?)

    It's fine to cheat to the outside if your opponent favors running plays to
    that direction. His job is to make adjustments to nullify the defensive's
    tactic. It would be dumb on his part to see a sweep coming or a pass to the
    flat and stay put until the ball is snapped. The LB or DE aren't fast enough
    to cover a speedy RB & can often get blocked during a run play.

    If you can blitz often and provide some type of coverage, you'll get him/her
    sack for a huge loss. This problem has been addressed in Madden2005, since
    the DL can usually catch up to a QB behind the LOS (sack) if the QB abandon
    the pocket early by going back 20 yards.

    The people that goes on 4th at his/her own 15 yd line early in the game, are
    usually over confident (or very dumb to the game of Football) but will
    disconnect if they start losing because of their tactic. To eliminate this,
    you will need to join a league or only play with people you know.

    "Jayhawker" <rock.chalk@jayhawks.net> wrote in message
    > When you play online, or even just against a friend at home, do you move
    the
    > players around individually, especially the DL to gain better penetration?
    > Personally, I only use the features that allow me to adjust the
    formations,
    > but I won't take control of a DE or OLB and move them out to get around
    the
    > end better.
    >
    > The other thing I won't do is drop my QB back an obnoxious amount of yards
    > so, so that he can avoid sacks. I just drop like like a QB would
    normally.

    > The problem is, I feel like this is putting me at a huge disadvantage
    > online. Am I just playing the wrong guys? Many of the guys doing this
    will
    > actually play fairly the rest of the game, as opposed to the losers that
    go
    > for it on 4th every time.
    >
    > Just Curious.

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games