Sign in with
Your question

I am using Win7 Home x64-bit. How do I extend my desktop display to two monitor

Last response: in Windows 7
June 15, 2012 3:07:24 AM

I am using Win7 Home x64-bit. How do I extend my desktop display to two monitors so that the taskbar runs across the bottom of both screens?
a b C Monitor
June 15, 2012 3:21:24 AM

What graphics card are you using? You should be able to just hook up a second monitor to your graphics card and windows will enable it automatically.
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2012 3:28:57 AM

you will need to use a dvi cable i believe and connect it to your second display from your gpu.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2012 3:33:02 AM

But none of that will have the task bar along the bottom of both screens. Eyefinity type setups will do that. Why is the task bar so important?
m
l
a b C Monitor
a c 228 $ Windows 7
June 15, 2012 11:52:57 AM

4745454b said:
But none of that will have the task bar along the bottom of both screens

Do you really plan on having that many open programs? The task bar will shrink icons to fit more if needed just like XP does. I have dual 22" widescreens at work with an extended desktop and I never fill up the taskbar even though it's on just one monitor.
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2012 12:22:06 PM

Which is why I asked him why is this important.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2012 12:45:44 PM

edit: Fail for not reading the OP well for me :) ... @op

As people are saying there are a lot of details to consider:
What video card do you have?
What ports does it have?
What ports do your monitors have?
What do you want your configuration to do (eyefinity gaming, basic setup, etc)?

The GPU *and* drivers you have will dictate to some degree what extra options you have for multi monitor, and sometimes they can really mess up even the 'basic' mode (I've seen some really odd stuff from older cards from nvidia). Usually the option is called spanning (it may al, but it does create some side effects, because Windows will only put the start bar on one display.

You can either treat both monitors as a single monitor, (I find this annoying, because then a maximized window will span both screens, fine for gaming, really annoying for web-browsers and other productivity apps)

OR

Personally, for dual monitor setups, try putting the taskbar on the right/left (outside) edge of the secondary monitor, giving it a bit of extra real estate (make it wider). From there, you can set use small icons, with labels, and never combine tasks, I can have about 20 windows open on my 1280x1024 secondary monitor without filling the task bar, you also get the date and day of the week added to the clock, and plenty of room to show all notifications.

Usually vertical real estate is much more valuable on a "web page" monitor anyway. I find this awesome for both my personal gaming muchine and my work computer (both are multi monitor) once you get used to it.

m
l
!